Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Keep getting sick... Feedback needed!

Hey everyone! Sleeved 9/3/14 and down about 50 lb. I have had a great experience thus far until about a month ago... I have started getting sick a lot (as in a cold) and am losing a bunch of hair. I know the Hair loss is to be expected but I want to know if anyone else has had trouble with their immune system. I just can't seem to shake this upper respiratory stuff!

Any thoughts, feedback appreciated!

I lost my hair for about 4 weeks and it suddenly stopped about a week ago. But now my nails are cracking and peeling. Hoping that doesn't last long. I just got a cold this weekend but it's been pretty mild. It's my first cold of the season so I don't think it's related to the surgery. Sorry I'm not much help on this.

Do you exercise regularly? I'm a lot more healthy since the surgery. I had a terrible cold once in the past 7 months and recovered two days later. Before I got sick every season and took me a week to recover.

Although I do get cold easily so I keep myself warm at all time and exercise 7 hours per week. Maybe that's why I don't catch a cold that often anymore.

up your Protein intake and take your Vitamins religiously......add Vitamin c to your regimen. Everyone says that hair loss is normal.....maybe it is for a woman but i eat or drink 80-100 grams of Protein a day and I have not loss one strand of hair. Good luck to you!!!

I know someone who got the respiratory flu followed by sinus and ear infections. Been very sick for weeks but he didn't have WLS. Possible you just had bad luck with a virus??

I thought I was going to keep all my hair but about 5months out I was losing crazy amounts. Luckily I had too much to begin with so I was ok. 3 years out, My hair and body are wonderful now!! It's so worth it.

I've had the opposite experience. I tend to fight off whatever attacks these days where I USED to be sick all winter. One thought... Part of what was making me cough pre-op was undiagnosed GERD. Never had heartburn, just lots or respiratory crap and coughing, particularly at night. Put me on a PPI and the issues I had for 10 years evaporated, (though I had symptoms the first month after until the swelling went town which is common). The sleeve is a reflux inducing surgery. Could be "silent" reflux. Check with your doc about a PPI or doubling your dosage if you already take one.