Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone.

My doctor ordered a sleep study done as a prerequisite to sleeve surgery. I have to say that I hated the experience. I cannot believe I was able to sleep at all. Anyway, the tech told me that she could not give me any information about my test. But I'm thinking that because they didn't wake me last night to have me put on a mask and use the c-pap machine-then maybe I don't have it? She had me try on 3 different masks in case they had to put one on me during my stay there. I did ask her if I snored last night and she told me not much at all. Kills me to wait around for the tests we have to have. I quit caffeine a month ago and have been sleeping better and for longer periods. I think getting used to one of those machines and mask would be VERY difficult.

They did not wake me during my study either, and they diagnosed me with severe obstructive sleep apnea.

Apparently I wasn't necessarily stopping breathing, but I kept coming almost awake because it was difficult to breathe. I was getting barely any deep sleep.< /p>

Now, a year later, I have almost no problems sleeping with the mask. I don't wake up with headaches the way I used to, my throat isn't always sore, and my doctor says my lungs sound a whole lot better (I'm moving more air and using more of my lungs to breathe). Also, my heart is getting healthier (sleep apnea affects heart function).

If you get a vpap (variable pap) or bipap, you will find they are very different than a cpap. A cpap is continuous pressure. The variable only provides air when you need it so you don't have a constant flow of air in your face.

In any case, good luck!

I also had a sleep test - though I had this through the NHS while my surgery is being done privately.

It was all very quick in my case - I saw the consultant on Thursday - she issued me with a sleep test kit to try at home. It was very simple - a little glove to fit over my finger and a tiny recorder the size of a beeper attached to my wrist.

I took it back the next day and was diagnosed. I came back a week later to collect my CPAP machine. I found it difficult to get used to at first - especially training myself to keep my mouth closed while I'm falling asleep. For the first week, I felt like I couldn't get enough air through the machine - but after a week it automatically adjusts to the correct airflow based on your patterns. So now it's much, much easier to use.

I still skip nights every so often - usually at weekends when I can afford to be a bit more sleepy the day after, and when I want to have a cuddle with my other half. But when I do use it, I really do notice the improvement in my energy levels.

I'm hoping that after my surgery, the weight I lose will cure the Apnea on its own and I won't need the machine in the future.

I had a sleep study done last night also! Terrible experience! How do they really expect you to sleep! You think with today's technology that it would be an easier process.

They didn't wake me during my sleep test either but the pulminologist diagnosed me with severe sleep apnea. I had to do a second sleep study with CPAP, a titration study to find out what settings I needed.

There are so many masks on the market now. I finally found one that works for me. I feel so much better! Google sleep apnea. It is a very dangerous disease with the potential for severe complications to the heart lungs etc.

I fought doing a sleep study for a few years because I didn't think I could get through the sleep study much less using a mask to sleep. But my surgeon required it so I had no choice. In hindsight I realize it was actually a blessing. Diagnosed and properly treated will add years to my life ☺️

Edited by Debbie Jean

I also had a sleep test - though I had this through the NHS while my surgery is being done privately.

It was all very quick in my case - I saw the consultant on Thursday - she issued me with a sleep test kit to try at home. It was very simple - a little glove to fit over my finger and a tiny recorder the size of a beeper attached to my wrist.

I took it back the next day and was diagnosed. I came back a week later to collect my CPAP machine. I found it difficult to get used to at first - especially training myself to keep my mouth closed while I'm falling asleep. For the first week, I felt like I couldn't get enough air through the machine - but after a week it automatically adjusts to the correct airflow based on your patterns. So now it's much, much easier to use.

I still skip nights every so often - usually at weekends when I can afford to be a bit more sleepy the day after, and when I want to have a cuddle with my other half. But when I do use it, I really do notice the improvement in my energy levels.

I'm hoping that after my surgery, the weight I lose will cure the Apnea on its own and I won't need the machine in the future.

Most insurance companies in the US will not cover the cost of a home test.

Also many insurance companies will not pay for the CPAP if it is not being used properly. The machine comes with an SD card which can be read by the doctor and a built in modem so compliance information can be transmitted to the company monitoring my use of the CPAP for the insurance company. They reserve the right to bill you the entire cost if you are not properly utilizing it for over 4 hours every night.

Most insurance companies in the US will not cover the cost of a home test.

Also many insurance companies will not pay for the CPAP if it is not being used properly. The machine comes with an SD card which can be read by the doctor and a built in modem so compliance information can be transmitted to the company monitoring my use of the CPAP for the insurance company. They reserve the right to bill you the entire cost if you are not properly utilizing it for over 4 hours every night.

In my case, Blue Shield of California, it was a "lease to own" arrangement. Between 45 and 60 days after I started with my machine, I had to take the SD card in to the doctor to print out the report and send it to the insurance company. I don't remember what the percent of compliance was, I think maybe 75%, but I had 100% compliance in that time period so it didn't matter. If you don't have the compliance, they stop paying for the rental. After a certain number of months, it was mine, and there is no monthly rental cost now.

Federal law forbids an insurance company from retro-denying equipment or services. If they approve you for the machine, you are approved until you get a letter saying otherwise. They are not allowed to come back and deny the first two months.

I had my sleep study at home, because I had a breast feeding baby, which is the only reason it was approved by insurance. I received my machine in November, and I still cannot sleep with it. I put it on every night, try my hardest, and always have to pull it off. I was cleared for surgery because my SD card shows I try, diligently, every night. I am the kind of person that cannot sleep in odd situations, or when I am really uncomfortable. It sucks.

I used a CPAP for the past decade. I had my surgery on October 8. Just had another sleep study in January. Now, I no longer have OSA and was told I no longer needed my CPAP. Haven't used it since. If you are very overweight it is likely you do have it. If you lose weight the is a reasonable chance you will no longer have it. But, OSA is a serious condition and if not treated it can lead to many other conditions...diabetes, HBP, stroke, memory loss. So, if you get diagnosed take it seriously, get a CPAP and use it all night, every night. It's no different than the choices you make regarding food and exercise after your surgery. Your success is entirely up to you.

In my case, Blue Shield of California, it was a "lease to own" arrangement. Between 45 and 60 days after I started with my machine, I had to take the SD card in to the doctor to print out the report and send it to the insurance company. I don't remember what the percent of compliance was, I think maybe 75%, but I had 100% compliance in that time period so it didn't matter. If you don't have the compliance, they stop paying for the rental. After a certain number of months, it was mine, and there is no monthly rental cost now.

Federal law forbids an insurance company from retro-denying equipment or services. If they approve you for the machine, you are approved until you get a letter saying otherwise. They are not allowed to come back and deny the first two months.

I misspoke. You are correct. It is a rent to own agreement which they can stop paying for if you are not compliant. I think mine is at least 4 hours per night.

I have heard people say that they knew people in the past who got the CPAP and just never used it. If you are going through insurance that is now no longer possible.

Edited by Debbie Jean

I used a CPAP for the past decade. I had my surgery on October 8. Just had another sleep study in January. Now, I no longer have OSA and was told I no longer needed my CPAP. Haven't used it since. If you are very overweight it is likely you do have it. If you lose weight the is a reasonable chance you will no longer have it. But, OSA is a serious condition and if not treated it can lead to many other conditions...diabetes, HBP, stroke, memory loss. So, if you get diagnosed take it seriously, get a CPAP and use it all night, every night. It's no different than the choices you make regarding food and exercise after your surgery. Your success is entirely up to you.

Congratulations! I'm hoping that when I've lost enough weight I'll be free from OSA, as well.

I had my sleep test February 2nd, and the technician woke me up three times. I slept okay, but when I slept - I didn't like the fact I had wires attached, and must of kicked off the ones from one of my legs, and at one time removed the one from my nose. The third time he woke me up was to be fitted for a mask. I didn't think I'd get back to sleep with the mask on, but after making myself relax, I was able to get to sleep. It wasn't very restful as I was exhausted the following day, but still worked the entire day.

They have a company in their building that supplies you with the machines - I figured I'd go with them because it would be convenient. Wrong idea! I got the call from them to set up a time to get my machine, and was told they would need $300 up front - and the rest would be billed to me? I questioned this - and asked how much does this machine cost? I was quoted $4500 retail, and because of my contract - it would cost around $4000! With my 20% I would pay $800. My husband & I were a little sticker shocked over this, so we did a little research online and found the same machine I would get for around $1800.

I called another medical supply company in my area and my 20% I would owe would be around $290. I called the other company and cancelled my appt. and am now waiting for approval from my insurance company.

I also have severe sleep apnea. I got my cpap last aug and i have to say its the best sleep i've ever had. Before i was always tired and would take like 2 hour naps everyday. I have no problem sleeping with the machine. I was set up on a ten month billing cycle where my ins co (Atena) pays for most of it. My payment is $11. Per month. After that the machine is mine.

They did not wake me during my study either, and they diagnosed me with severe obstructive sleep apnea.

Apparently I wasn't necessarily stopping breathing, but I kept coming almost awake because it was difficult to breathe. I was getting barely any deep sleep.< /p>

Now, a year later, I have almost no problems sleeping with the mask. I don't wake up with headaches the way I used to, my throat isn't always sore, and my doctor says my lungs sound a whole lot better (I'm moving more air and using more of my lungs to breathe). Also, my heart is getting healthier (sleep apnea affects heart function).

If you get a vpap (variable pap) or bipap, you will find they are very different than a cpap. A cpap is continuous pressure. The variable only provides air when you need it so you don't have a constant flow of air in your face.

In any case, good luck!

You have no idea how happy I am to hear this! I had my sleep study over a week ago, and have not received the results. I was bummed that they didn't wake me up in the middle of the night to put a mask on as I assumed this meant I did not have the sleep apnea diagnosis. With a BMI of 37, I need the sleep apnea as a co-morbidity for insurance.

Your experience gives me hope that a positive diagnosis will happen and I can get the approved for surgery, but also get treatment for my snoring and bad sleep quality! My poor husband can't sleep with my loud snoring!!!

This is what I wrote to my friend on Facebook---she wanted to know how my sleep study went and what I wore---easier to copy/paste than to write it out again. :)

Gloria-----The sleep study----IT WAS AWFUL!!! I wore a blue print satin nightshirt....very comfortable. And socks haha Worked out well because of all the stupid wires. Sweat pants would have not been so good but they would have worked with themif they had to. I had wires on my chest, on my calves, a BUNCH of them all over my head, on both temples, my jaws, 3 on my chin, 2 thingees on my nose-one which had a wire hanging in front of my lips, a wide elastic belt around the area above my boobies and another one right below my boobies......oh and one next to my eye....they were all glued/taped to me.......I almost took a picture of myself with my phone camera but then I thought :WHO THE HELL (sorry) WOULD I EVER SHOW THIS TO?????"