Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Got banded in Springfield MO??

Tabitha--what is the new images program your insurance approved you for?

As far as Protein drinks go...I like(d) slim fast, and grew to dislike it after several... just too sweet, and too many carbs for me. I can look at carbs and gain weight...lol...

The Protein Drinks I am still using are...

Atkins Advantage/choc delight shake/160 calories, 9g total fat,5g total carbs and 4g Fiber, so that's 1g net carbs with 15g protein(Sam's club is cheaper than any place I can find).

I like the IDS whey 42g "shooters"-- but you should not drink it at all one time, but, two or three times for one....or you just have "pricey pee" as I am told, you can not use 42g of Protein very well all at once, and your body will rid it's self of extra.

I also like the "go bottles" at Healthy weight supermarket, (not the ones that say shake, as they were too gritty and clumpy for me) they are Health Wise brand -I think- they are a good change from milky, shakes to a fruity thin, refreshing drink....... they come as powder in a plastic bottle, you add Water to top of the label and shake it up.... not gritty or clumpy!.... I put in a little bit of Water and shake..add ice to very top and take it with me... or can get an ice water at drive thru..add shake and enjoy on the go!!

I do advise getting to know some of these... as I learned, what you like occasionally/once daily, before, may not suit you for three meals a day for a week-pre-op or post -op. VARIETY WAS KEY FOR ME!

Linda-- it is my understanding that you are correct, about Dr.C. Hodges. There was only Dr. Edwards when I went for information back in Feb-2007,and surgery in early April.....I don't know what the circumstances were, but, no one is talking either.

It should not take long for you to get surgery, as self pay. I would try to gently, push things along... as there is no wait for insurance hoops to jump through. How far have you gotten with the process? Just paper work? Set up for diet/exercise consults? Psy. evaluation? CALL CALL CALL- but, be nice when you do..... after all he is the only doc in town to do this.[/quote

Hi Ladies-

Great about you're impending Sept. date Tabitha! I am sooo jealous lol

Can't wait until I can tell you all I have a date set.

Hang in there Tabitha, it will be here before you know it, and I know you will do great.

Mazie, thanks for giving me that nudge I needed. I called and talked to Mary this morning. She received my paperwork, but hasn't received records from my doc. sooo you guessed it, put in a call to my doc and am waiting for call back.

Dr Edwards out this week, so hopefully Mary will have reviewed my paperwork and have gotten records from my doc. Mary is supposed to call me next week and let me know where we are.

You are doing really well Mazie. Hope I can do same.

Legster, what is going on with you? Can't wait to hear. Good luck to all.:eek:

Got my first fill today. They gave me 3 in my VG band. He said it might be tight, but I feel good. So far only Water and Tomato Soup. Later tomorrow I can try a Protein shake. Next day cottage cheese. :-) The fill was entirely uneventful, thanks goodness!

Way to go! Please tell us more.

Sending good thoughts your way.

Mazie - New Images is a medically supervised weight loss program at St. John's in the Hammons Heart Institute building. Once you sign up, you meet with a nutritionist and exercise person at least once a month. You also get to use the fitness center at HHI. It is a good program, but didn't work well for me. Of course I had some issues - I was doing really well with the workout (minimum of 3 days per week) and then I broke my ankle in December - well, it was February before I could even think of going back and even then it was really difficult and painful. It has really been hard to get back into a workout routine since. In the almost 11 months I have been doing that program I only lost 10 pounds and that fluctuates every time I go weigh in.

Lindao1 - I'm glad you called Mary. I bet, since you are self-pay, that once your medical documentation gets to them you will be moved through really quickly. The appointments with diet/exercise will happen pretty fast. I called last week to set mine up and had one last Friday and one this Thursday, so they won't put you off for weeks.

Linda/Anyone-----my advice is make sure you get scheduled for the behavior class ASAP- they were(/are?) only having one class per month. You must go to one before surgery. I had to wait a few weeks for surgery because I had to get this in first. It is a great class and, I was on my pre-op diet then. If I had set a schedule two days earlier, I wouldn't have waited as long. Not that my wait was a long one (it just felt that way because of the anxiety and excitement and pre-op diet!!!!!!).

Tabitha- after going to my pre/post op stuff at HHInstitute, I would have loved the opportunity to go regularly...as self-pay I'm now BROKE for the next four-five years, and can't afford to pay the cost to go there (or anywhere..lol...). I hope that it was a benefit and pleasure, in spite of the minimal weight loss... it most likely did your body/heart/mind some good anyway!?!

Keep me up to date with progress reports- or daily complaints about the frustrating wait...HAVE A GREAT FOURTH OF JULY LADIES.... eat smart at the BBQs too.

Mazie - I can't say it wasn't a benefit as I did lose inches and my heart rate decreased quite a bit in the beginnng (its up again now), so it wasn't a waste of time or $$. Once I have surgery I will no longer be in that program. I'm just sticking it out for the ins co. so that it covers my one year dr. supervised weight loss program requirement.

Happy 4th everyone!! Have a fun and safe day.

Tabitha, if you are no longer going to be in that program...do you have a plan for extra activity, and exercise for post surgery?

I just can't get myself out to walk often enough... I do pretty good with the small free weights, and upper body resistance exercises though. Cardio-- I am bad bad bad about not doing enough!!

You should be up and walking around a lot after surgery.. I did do that, and all was well... now I just plain need to get out (in the heat) and do it!!!

I hope you all have a better plan than mine... mine was.... "I'll be so motivated after this procedure, that I will want to do it, and there fore.....I will do it".......not so true in my reality. GOOD LUCK LADIES!

It will seem like it took no time to get your band ----after you have it.

Mazie - Actually, for the past several months I haven't been using their fitness center. I work full time and I am in grad school full time so it was too hard to get in there while they were open - and sometimes it was because I didn't have the energy or motivation. :tired But, I do ballroom/swing dance at least twice a week so I do get in some exercise. I also bought the Dancing with the Stars (don't laugh:biggrin1:) cardio video - that is so much fun! And, I have a dance mat and PS2 dance video game. So, I have the equipment/ability to be active, just having the energy is the problem. Honestly, I HATE to exercise, but if it has something to do with dancing I'm more likely to do it.

Dancing sounds like fun activity/exercise. I too, hate exercise...maybe that is part of why I'm where I am. Good luck.

OK I have been very very busy lately... but, have been thinking about our local thread all week......

has anyone/everyone had an opportunity to speak with Mary or Dr Edwards??? Do we get an update on scheduling..class, surgery, exercise, dietician,any education, etc.....

has the ice cream monster moved in with anyone else, around here besides me? With it being so hot, my DH keeps buying it, and it shows up in my face sometimes- I have a very hard time fighting this monster..... because I truly love it! It acts like my friend, and my worst night mare at the same time.

I welcome any and all updates/info. anyone wants to offer.

Request for approval went to insurance on 7/6. They have 30 days turn-around time - 22 days to go (unless they only count business days then it is 24)!! :)

Paisley......22-24 days..... that sounds like along time to wait.... how are you doing with that? I too will cross my fingers for you....... do you plan to self pay if insurance does not come through? But- of course it will come through for you......Will the office set a schedule up for your surgery in advance- pending insurance. Or do they only set up after approval is confirmed?

Anyone else got any news to share? You are all in my thoughts and prayers.

PS>>>> my ticker finally got to move a bit... I was stuck for three weeks at the same weight ..... the scale finally moved!!!! woooohooooooo!

Mazie - It is a long time! Mary told me that the hardest part was over (meaning the numerous visits to this person and that person) and I told her that THIS is the hard part - the waiting. I'm going to Maryland the last week of the month so that will help to take my mind off of it. Although, I should get the decision just a day or two after I return so I may be thinking about it even more.

If insurance does not pay I'm not sure what I will do...other than as many appeals as I can. Mary seemed pretty confident that it would get through. I know she can't say FOR SURE, but she is very experienced with this kind of thing and is probably pretty good at guessing.

As far as I know, they will only set the date after the approval. I have to do the behavioral class (7/23) before they will set a date anyway.

Congrats on the moving scale!! Keep up the good work!

Sorry I've been missing here lately!!

After my fill on 6/28 (3 cc in 10 cc band) I haven't been feeling much restriction. I am, however, feeling satisfied after just a smaller than normal amount of food is consumed. Not only that, but the satiated feeling lasts for a good long while!

In the first 2 weeks after my fill, I lost 7 pounds. I had a great follow-up visit with my Exercise Physiologist, too! My BMI is down 5% with literally no lean/muscle weight lost...all fat! My heart rate, resting and working, is also down (working HR is down 20 beats per minute).

So....doing very well here so far!

Good luck to you all with any obstacles you are facing pre- or post-surgery!