Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am wondering, why it it not allowed? I was a HUGE Diet Coke addict prior to surgery, and I miss it terribly now. I have not touched it, but think that sugar free flavored carbonated Water may help with the cravings. My stomach does tolerate it, anyone know why we shouldn't have it?

Lot's of theories abound. Many say that the carbonation gases can stretch the pouch. Others say that it can't. I did find this statement when I googled it: "Somebody on here once said that their doctor said, not all his patients who gained weight back after surgery went back to drinking pop or diet pop, but all his patients who went back to drinking pop or even diet pop gained back weight. To me it is not worth the risk."

I have also heard something similar. Is it true? I don't know. But I'm not going to risk it. Besides I know somebody who works for the FDA and they said that if you knew what was really in a Diet Coke, you would never touch it again. Of course, that doesn't say anything about carbonated Water (which I do really miss!).

Basically, my doctor and NUT say to stay away from it so I"m going to for as much as possible. Will I freak out if I try a little at some point--I hope not but... lol.

Ask your doctor and your NUT and then use your best judgement for you.

I think it is fine as long as it isn't before or after eating. I, personally can't drink carbonated anything. It really bothers my stomach!

I was a huge diet coke addict for more years than I can remember. I slowed down for several months then went cold turkey in August, surgery was mid October. I was dying for that taste in my mouth one time. I poured a 1/4 cup, added ice, waited until it quit bubbling and took a small sip. It tasted ao awful and sickly sweet, I was so bummed. Tried a second time with a different source and same taste. Bummer Dude!

No way honey!!! No way.

It will stretch your pouch. Maybe not all at once but over time.

Diet coke causes weight gain. Research it. There have been many studies to support it. It's terrible for you, very hard on your stomach and could give you an ulcer. It has a ton of chemicals in it which are awful for you and your new lifestyle.

http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20739512,00.html

Must read this.

Start exploring new things. Perhaps iced Decaf tea? Decaf coffee chilled with a little cream? Crystal light.

No way honey!!! No way.

Diet coke causes weight gain. Research it. There have been many studies to support it. It's terrible for you, very hard on your stomach and could give you an ulcer. It has a ton of chemicals in it which are awful for you and your new lifestyle.

Must read this.

Start exploring new things. Perhaps iced Decaf tea? Decaf coffee chilled with a little cream? Crystal light.

I too, was a Diet Coke addict. After surgery, I tried it. It tasted awful. I'm so grateful I didn't like it, I drink herbal tea now, sweetened with stevia.

No way honey!!! No way.

Must read this.

yes, I am aware of all of the terrible things Diet Coke can do to our bodies. I don't plan on drinking it again, I was just asking if carbonated Water may be a substitute, but it doesn't look like it, so I will keep searching for an alternative I enjoy. Thank you.

I can't take the carbonation. I just burp and burp and burp and burp and burp and burp. Makes me feel real full after just a a sip. I have let it sit on the counter for about 30 minutes to get some of the fizzle out but then only once and only about a quarter of a cup. Got my fix and now back to flavor Water.

The only way your allowed to drink it is to let ALL the gas/bubbles out of it, and drink it Flat but cold so you get the same taste!!

My NUT and surgeon said cut out all carbonated drinks. The carbonation stretches the stomach. I cut it out a few months ago to give my body time to adjust before surgery. I figure if I haven't had it for this long why start again now.

I have a very short list of foods that might be worth cheating on my pouch for. For instance: if I happen to be in Paris, I may allow a single bite of a fruit tart. Next time I'm in Brazil I'll have a taste of rice and Beans prepared in the Brazilian style. Next time I'm in Northern California, I may taste a south East Asian sandwich the way it was done while I was in college. Like I said. It's a VERY short list.

Day to day? I would never risk my second chance at health and being thin over a sparkling verses non sparkling beverage.

People say this surgery is the easy way out. For me it's been one of the hardest things I've ever done. The pain, the emotions, the huge life changes. I would never give up all that hard work blood sweat and tears over a food. It's not worth it, not for a second.

When I struggle with temptation I remind myself how many great foods there are that fit into my life now, I pull out my before photos and I remember how miserable I was. I go shopping or get dressed nice to remind myself how good I feel. I keep my mind on the prize