Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What does everyone's food diary look like?? It's so hard to get 60-80 grams of Protein a day esp when I'm out and busy trying to get use to Protein Shakes very hard. I don't wanna end up back in the hospital or get sick for not eating or drinking enough ???? 7 weeks out I should be a pro by now

Just had an appointment with my dr today and she couldn't stress enough how important it is for us to get the Protein intake. I had been doing very bad in fact hardly taking any and she had a long talk with me. Now I am home sitting in my kitchen for the past 45 mins trying to finish a Premier Protein shake. I completely understand what you're going through as I am on the same boat. But I've decided to put in my big girl panties and make this happen I cannot end up in the hospital I have two small children that depend on me. WE CAN DO THIS!!

Greek yogurt, add unflavored Protein mix to things you like or in mushy foods, I'm 9wks and still struggling to find balance with the new wAy of eating. It certainly is a learning curve. I have yet to master this and battle myself to get in liquids and Proteins. I hope that tomorrow will be a changing day as I will step into my new food phase which allows fish and chicken. Focus on hi protein things. Doesn't have to be just a Protein Drink. Get it any way you can that's allowed in your plan. ;) wishing you all the best

I don't know what restrictions you might have, if any, but here's what I eat usually to get in all of my Protein. Breakfast is usually a Protein Bar that is 20 gms of Protein. lunch might be 1 oz beef Jerky (11 gms) & 1/4 cup of soy nuts (11 gms). dinner is usually some kind of lean meat - 12-15 gms and a couple of bites of a vegetable. Then for a snack, I might eat a 2 low fat cheese sticks for another 10 gms and that adds up to 60-70 gms of protein without getting overly full or having to choke down a protein shake. Of course, I eat other things too some days but this is a typical day for me. I've become extremely picky at the store and just don't even buy things that aren't super packed with protein.

When I was fresh out of surgery and had trouble getting Protein in, I relied somewhat on the "New Whey" Protein Shots. They're 42 grams of Protein in a little over 4 ounces. Two words of caution about them though. First, 42 grams is too much protein in one sitting- your body simply can't process much more than 30 grams at a time and will just pass through the rest. If you choose to drink one, I would drink an ounce an hour. Another reason why I'd drink an ounce an hour is (to me) they taste awful regardless of the flavor they claimed to be. If I use them now, I'll try to psych myself into thinking it's a test tube shot from college...take a swig & have an immediate chaser of Crystal Light....wait an hour and repeat ;)

What does everyone's food diary look like?? It's so hard to get 60-80 grams of Protein a day esp when I'm out and busy trying to get use to Protein shakes very hard. I don't wanna end up back in the hospital or get sick for not eating or drinking enough 7 weeks out I should be a pro by now

Not necessarily. I, too, am 7 weeks out, and I am still always learning. I rely on Protein Shakes and Quest bars to boost my protein intake. I still can eat only ¼ or ⅓ cup of food at a time, so I really need the protein heavy foods.

What does your doctor say will happen if you don't get enough Protein? Because mine is like- no biggie. Just get your Water. The point is not to eat.

I don't get what the problem with low Protein is that is so bad? I get about 20-30 grams a day and am doing great

I'm no doctor, but from discussions and my own research, here is my answer to that question.

Our bodies utilize Protein for many things, among them muscle mass and the health of your skin, hair and nails. Regardless of how much or how little Protein intake we have initially, it will seem like "nothing's happening". This is because your body takes a while to adapt to the shock you're putting it through from having bariatric surgery.

One of the most common potential side effects is hair thinning/hair loss due to inadequate protein intake. The average life cycle of a new human hair is approximately 3 months. So... the hair you had on the day of your surgery will begin to naturally fall out at around 3 months, with new hair taking its place (though this is a constant process). Now then... your body will use that protein for "essential" functions first like burning calories to survive, trying to maintain muscle mass, and keeping organ function proper. Your body doesn't consider the health of your skin, hair and nails to be "essential" and therefore will not send protein that route. Hence... its' common for low protein intake bariatric patients to experience a level of hair loss- more noticeable in some than in others.

Aside from your hair/skin/nails, as mentioned before, protein is essential to maintaining and gaining muscle mass, and burning fat. Your body sees its fat as "emergency storage" and will try to hold on to it, burning the stored Proteins in your muscles instead. Again, the effects wouldn't be noticeable right away, but bariatric patients who consistently don't have an adequate protein intake may experience a loss of muscle mass, which could result in a person who may be of average weight by scale numbers but still have a disproportionately high ratio of body fat.

My surgeon/NUT stresses protein intake above all else! They also reassure that muscle weighs more than fat, and the scale is the worst indicator of weight loss success. As we exercise and keep our protein up, our body can increase its muscle size- explaining why the numbers may not be going down as fast as you'd like but you're dropping dress sizes.

Just my 2 cents :)

My surgeon asked what is more important Water or Protein? Water is more important but without adequate protein I was told I will lose my hair, my skin will suffer, and so will nails and bones. I am seven weeks post op and my food diary is very sad. I still cannot get 60 grams of protein and my goal at my next visit in six weeks is 80 grams. Ugh! My focus right now is protein with no carbs, veggies, or fruit until I reach my goal. And no calories from fruit juice. I have lost 51 pounds but I have a stalled again. For now I'll just keep swimming! ????

Suzemuze hit it on the head. I don't know how far you are out, but I will tell you, I struggled the first year and then some to get more than an average of 45g Protein in a day. I am over two years out and still struggle to get 60 in. I east primarily all Protein in one form or another. Not so much in veggies or fruit. I DO however, take many Vitamins and my blood work is aces. But this is my story. This is my body. You and everyone reading this will find what works for them.

Get enough in to keep your every level high, keep dizzy spells away, and keep in communication with you doc or but it possible surgeons office depending on your given situation.

I've found a good Protein source, but sometimes it will go down, and at other times it gets stuck and makes me have to throw up. Then once I throw up, I can't seem to get anything to go down for a few hours. I'm 5 weeks post op and already having problems with my skin being very dry and looking wrinkly and I'm getting worried because I don't want to look sick from not getting in enough protein and Fluid. I don't know WHAT to do!!!!!

Lang0415, Water will help the dryness... But I also found Johnson & Johnson baby gel oil helped. I still lather it on every other day. In the beginning it was every day.

What is your Protein source? If I might ask...

I also have problems with getting enough Protein. I was given a recipe yesterday that is high in Protein.< /p>

Large container of cottage cheese

small-No Fat container of Cool Whip

1 Package of Pistachio sugar free pudding mix

1 small can of sugar free crushed pineapple

Splenda(optional)

Mix all together and refrigerate. When you crave something sweet, this also satisfies. Plus the Protein.

Edited by Saintsfan

This is good in lemon lime sf Jello too. Except I use fage Greek yogurt and as vanilla Protein to it before mixing into Jello and pineapple. (And jello and fruit combo works well... Orange and mandarin oranges are really good T oo)