Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Food/Supplement Questions for Post Surgery

Can someone tell me what your diet was like the first two weeks after surgery?

What did you eat/drink?

Did you use nutrional supplements like Power Milk or Boost?

What about Vitamins? I know that I am supposed to take them, but what kinds/brands did you take? Did you use the liquid ones, or were you able to take the pills?

I have the information from the surgeon's office, but I keep hearing about "Real World" adaptaions of the program, and I would like to hear from some people that have had the surgery about what they did.

Thank you!

My 2 week post op diet basically consisted of 4 things. Cream of Wheat for Breakfast. sugar free Jello for lunch. Greek yogurt for dinner. Premier Protein shakes in between meals. I was only eating 1-1.5 ounces of anything per meal. I was lucky to drink any more than 1 Protein shake (30 grams of protein) per day for the first week. I sipped on Water constantly, but was only getting in about 40 ounces a day for at least a week. I just wasn't hungry and nothing really sounded good, but my nutritionist said it was important to eat something and try to get my Protein and fluids in, so that it what I did.

For Vitamins I use TwinLab Bariatric chewable vitamins and TwinLab Bariatric chewable Calcium. They aren't the greatest tasting things in the world, but they aren't terrible either. I get them both on either Amazon or from Swanson Vitamins, depending on availability when I need them. They seem to be frequently out of stock on both sites.

I think the important thing to remember the first 2 weeks is that it will probably be a struggle to get in your fluids and protein, but it does get easier. Just do what you can do and don't worry about it too much!

for me my first two weeks, which was only a week or so ago was basically a Protein shake for Breakfast ( im partial to the Syntrax Nectars products) which was about 4 oz for 23 to 36 grams of Protein. ( i use 1 and 1/2 scoops per shake) then Water liquids, ( propel, Water with flavor it in it etc) and Jello sugar-free or sugar-free pudding every other day as a snack usually at nighttime. lunch was another shake or some Greek yogurt, dinner was a shake or a few times some broth when i just needed something hot. i never liked the premier products all the ready made Protein shakes tasted like , well very bad, to me. and you had to drink 20 ounces to get 30 grams of protein. i get more than that in 4 to 5 ounces of Syntrax Cappuccino for example in + skim or 1% milk. I never had any problems getting in my protein this way. and i recommend the time marked water bottle , that a person on here created. you basically mark a water bottle with the times of day and how much you should have drank at that time and keep it with you at all times. it REALLY helped, if you need the picture to show you how, send me a message with your email and ill get it to you. good luck and you can do this. it aint easy but its worth it.

oh for Vitamins heres a great easy one, Centrum adult chewables ( only come in orange flavored) 7 bucks a bottle take 2 a day have 100% of everything including the Iron. If you want some taste tests i do a bunch of video taste tests of Protein Shakes and flavors on my blog, feel free to check them out.

Edited by Stevehud

What about drinking out of straws? I drink all my Water out of a straw now. I have heard that straws are frowned upon after surgery. Is that true?

What about drinking out of straws? I drink all my Water out of a straw now. I have heard that straws are frowned upon after surgery. Is that true?

Yes, I was told straws were bad because they tend to make you gulp your liquids and increase the chance of swallowing air with your beverage. I still use straws, I am just very careful about it.

Straws are bad because you take in too much air. This was covered in my nutrition class. I was cleared to use straws at my 6 week check up but I would not recommend it for a newly sleeved person.

As for you first question a lot of this is covered in the thread about everyone protocol is different. Do a search, you'll find tons of information there.

Edited by BLERDgirl

Research is key. Check out dsfacts.com and vita lady for vites.

I have always used tumblers with straws and find I drink a lot more that way. My NUT mentioned at a pre-op that I would need to give them up post-op, but I have not. I find I gulp more when I drink from a Water bottle and I have had no issues from straws.