Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gagging through protein shake

Help! I started replacing one of my meals with a Protein Shake per NUT's recommendations and I gagged through 1/2 it before I called it good. Anyone else have this problem? Any advise? The taste wasn't bad ... It was the after taste and the consistency I think. <> I know I need to learn to like it/tolerate it ... Please help. I have time to sort it out and find a good rhythm. Surgery isn't until mid February. I've pinterested ideas - anyone else done this?

What brand is it? Maybe you just need to try another brand. The only one I've tried that had an awful, intolerable after taste was the Isopure clear rtd bottles, but I found if I put it in a glass with Water and ice and either MIO or Dasani flavor drops that it was tolerable, still had a slight aftertaste but didn't make me gag.

Good brands I've found of the non clear are the Isopure orange, strawberry bananna powder mix, and any of the Jarrow Formulas brand flavors powder mix. I get both on Amazon. The Jarrow Formulas chocloate flavor with some PB2 is good, and I like to mix the unflavored formula into fruit & green smoothies and it makes them creamy.

The EAS carb control rtd aren't half bad, I drank those my entire 6 month supervised diet, those you can find at any grocery store (but make sure they are the carb control).

????

Edited by Pac-woman

Try "oh yeah" vanilla creme Protein shake. It is made by iss research. It is actually called "oh yeah". Stupid i know. It tastes like a McDonald's vanilla shake but melted. Low in sugar.

The other is Ensure in powder form in chocolate . not bad. You can add half a banana and Peanut Butter powder and ice and it will taste like a Wendy's frosty. Lol

No kidding.

For consistency, do you have a shaker cup? One with the little wire whisk in it. That will help make the shake much better blended. Also make sure your ratio of Protein powder to liquid is correct. Or, if you're drinking a premixed shake, something might be off with it. I read comments on Amazon of people getting Protein shakes that had expired date or separated.

My favorite premixed shakes are pure Protein from costco.

I also add PB2 (Peanut Butter powder) to my chocolate shakes and it makes a big difference in masking any aftertaste.

After a few bad experiences trying other brands, I use powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury exclusively now... no aftertaste and have a good clean flavor. I add sugar free syrups to vary the flavor.

I have found the smaller and thinner the shake, the easier it goes down. Premier's premixed shakes have 30g Protein in 11 oz. Walmart, Walgreens, and Sam's Club sell them. Good luck!

I have found that i can drink the pre-mixed drinks when blended with lots of ice, it waters them down so that they are less sickly sweet and thick.This also means you are getting the ice down as Fluid meaning you are killing two birds with one stone.Pippinleicester.

Premier Protein shakes taste so good I'm afraid they're going to come out as having falsified their nutrition information.

Isopure clear to me have been disgusting; coconut is the only one I can drink.

Jay Robb is pretty good insofar as no after taste, to me... but they're not as rich as Premier.

Unjury's chicken broth is yummy... but don't mix it with really hot Water. You can put their chocolate in a cup of coffee for a mocha, but again - you don't want it much hotter than hot bath Water or it clumps.

I love Health Smart's pink lemonade concentrate from Nashua Nutrition - but they're currently on back order. :(

SO many different Protein Drink options, there's no reason to choke down disgusting.

I can only drink the Premier Protein shakes. In the beginning they were even hard to get down but what I did pre surgery was gulp them down so I barely tasted them. Over time they have grown on me and I actually enjoy them.

I really like the Oh Yeah! RTD shakes, the chocolate tastes like chocolate milk & they are thin(thick ones make me gag). the banana creme is good also????

If the ready to drink shakes are too thick you can add skim milk to dilute it and add extra Protein. I use a lot of flavored syrups. I found a sugar free eggnog flavor that I add to vanilla Premier Protein and its just like an eggnog shake from McDonalds.

@@Busymomof3

Where did you find this Syrup? I must have some.

Do a search for Protein. There are a zillion shakes/ RTD/liquid Proteins you could try.