Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

29 year old ladies - skin bounce back?

Hi ladies! I'm quickly approaching my 30th birthday, its about 5 months away. I know everyone has different genes but I'm wondering generally how women around my age have found their skin is after surgery.

I lost 25kilos when I was 24 and had no issues.... however that's nearly 6 years ago AND I need to lose around 60 kgs this time so feeling nervous!

@@Sassafrassa My skin is doing ok thus far but I've only lost about 36 lbs (I'm only two months out) I'm 34. I still have a Ways to go so just like anything with this surgery only time will tell.

I'm well over 29, but honestly, does it matter? Will you not have the surgery if you skin does't bounce back? I've thought about it and I realized that it doesn't make sense to worry about it. I'll do the best I can to keep my skin tight and if it isn't I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

BLERDgirl, it was just a simple question to guage how women around my age and their skin has responded. Alot of women on here who are older than me have made comments that their skin doesn't bounce back like it used too, so I just wanted to know how women my age felt? I wasn't asking in such a way that I will regret the surgery. I was asking from a point of curiosity.

I'm in a similiar boat. Going to be 26 in March. Lost 100lbs about 5 years ago and hoping to lose a smidge more with surgery. Fingers crossed that i won't need plastics. But if I do I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. I'm curious about other responses also! I'm only a bit over a month post op.

My Nut, and fitness coach said the best thing you can do to ensure the most bounce back, and no Hair loss, is to get all of your Protein, Water, and Vitamins in, from the start. Then, start exercise, with weight training, when allowed. Do not skip exercise, and do not avoid protein. You need the protein to develop, and keep muscle. :) good luck! I am 39, and should be scheduled this month for my sleeve. I am excited, and afraid at the same time.

That feeling of excitement and fear at the same time is a funny one hey. I was SUPER anxious right before my surgery. I was laying in my gown thinking "holy crap, am I actually about to do this???" Lol. Thats all I could think!!! Then immediately post op i thought "holy crap, did I actually do this finally" haha.

Energy is a big thing I am lacking but im only 2 weeks post op so once i start to eat more I will start my exercise :)

Good luck for your surgery!!

Sassafrassa- I had the exact same reaction. Apprehensive about whether it was the right thing to do since it was so high risk for me. And then I woke up from surgery and thought "wow I just totally did this!" I am so glad I did it before 2014 was over. Now I get to focus on the new year following the program and enjoying getting thinner.

@@Sassafrassa

A LOT has to do with how many stretch marks you have - where you have stretch marks, you will have loose skin - at least, that's been my experience through two pregnancies and every time I've lost weight before.

How much loose skin seems to be related to so many different variables; but like BlerdGirl - I'll deal with that when I know how much I'm dealing with.

@@Sassafrassa - I understand that. However age is but one factor in how your skin will bounce back. Race, the amount of weight you need to loose, even genetics will all play a part. I've already loss 48lbs and I can already tell my upper body is probably going to be fine but my thighs may not cooperate.I'm going everything I can to prevent that, but at the end of the day it's just something I'll have to deal with when I cross that bridge. I do know as sleevers we stand a better chance of not having loose skin than bypass patients because the weight loss is a little slower, but that's still not a guarantee.

Edited by BLERDgirl

Since surgery I put the hell lot of body cream (I use up 200 ml of cream per month) and exfoliate once a week and hope that could help. I've lost 78 lbs (almost 6 months out) but still my inner tights got saggy, they don't look so bad though, and my armpits skin looks like the turkey's neck ughh... I guess it's inevitable and just hope they will get better with time & exercises. However, I still have 40 lbs more to lose, I will just have to keep moisturizing and pray for the skin of my belly, my arms and my bums! lol

I'm 42 by the way, I wish you all the best for your weight lost and bouncing skin.

I love this question and the answers I have my surgery in February and one of my main worries was excess skin.....please excuse me.....im vain and im doing this for my health but I alse don't wanna have to spend more money on plastics I cant afford. So Protein before surgery is wat I should start doing now?

There really is no magic answer. What we know helps is getting adequate Protein and exercise including weight lifting. Those just aren't guarantees. There are other factors that come into play; age, race, genetics, how much weight you have to loose. I keep hearing about people suddenly using creams and moisturizers. I'm not sure how much stock I put in that. I'm Black and I have moisturized my entire body every day of my life as our skin shows it when it's dry. I've also heard that wearing light compression garments can help. I wear compression yoga pants and tops when I am working out. Partly because I want to fight against loose skin, but also because I am more comfortable working out when everything isn't jiggling. I also have always exfoliated regularly because I like my skin to look nice.

Bottom line, you do the best you can do prevent excess skin but there is no magic formula.

It all depends on the elasticity of ur skin. It's genetics. I unfortunately am one who has very elasticity. Same reason some get stretch marks with pregnancy and some do not. I have a road map. So did my mother. My best friend had none. Nor did her mother. She may have some factor but not really the main. I was 16 with my 1st child (ugh 20 years ago) I did all the lotions and creams faithfully every night....... Yeah did NOTHING! Lol so I have come to grips with the need of plastics if I choose to go that route. But honestly at this point I'm just happy being a thinner me and being comfortable doing everyday activities. Looking "sexy" naked isn't really too on my priority list. Hubby makes me feel that ways anyway :) good luck to u!

Kids, we can't control a lot of this stuff.

However, we can control:

* How much we weigh

* How much we exercise

* How we react to things that we can't control.

Don't worry. Be happy. :)