Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Going back to work, what do I say?

I don't believe it's dishonest to just say nothing. It really is no one's business. At all. And anyone you work with has NO LEGAL RIGHT to ask you about it. just saying......if they do.....find a lawyer. You'd win.

@@mpr

You know, I will. I never thought it would be a big deal till people started telling me I shouldn't tell.

I'm going to be honest. My job entails a lot of lifting and weight bearing.

I may need help, so it pays to be honest.

I'm a nurses aide in NH. I love my patients and I'm sure they will notice a difference.

Gosh, I saw my Meme're two weeks ago and she asked how I was losing weight. I told her. Im not gonna lie to my grandmother! Lol

Thank you for all the responses, it makes me not feel so alone :)

You don't have to tell them if you don't want to. I told everyone I drank a lot of Protein Shake was on a liquid diet cut back on what I ate and walked and exercised as much as I could. Which that is not a lie I just failed to mention my new tool that I love so much. But it's up to you on how and what you decide to disclose.

My advice I wouldn't tell them. I've gotten a lot of negative comments from those I have told. TOTAL REGRET

Me and my hubby were just talking about this today. Before I had my surgery I was sooooo worried about what people would think or say that I told very few people at work, mostly just the few in my immediate department since I would be gone for 5 weeks.

My fist few days back I was super nervous about people asking me questions about where I had been and such. I only work part time so some just thought I wasn't working a lot of hours or were just working on opposite days than me. By my second week back people started to notice and ask where I was. I found it fairly easy to tell people what I had done. Way easier than I thought.

I consider myself extremely lucky, I have a great support system here at home, my parents have been wonderful and my friends and co workers are genuinely concerned about me and want me to do well.

Every person who I have told has been nothing but supportive and encouraging. It's funny how many people know someone who has had weight loss surgery, and those that don't really have legit questions and I am happy to have them understand what it is I am going thru.

I had this surgery for ME, no one else. And it may sound funny but having people know what's going on has helped me be more accountable. :)

You must do what is most comfortable for you, but NEVER let anyone make you feel like you did something wrong, because in the long run you will see that this is the best thing you could have done for yourself!!!!!

My advice I wouldn't tell them. I've gotten a lot of negative comments from those I have told. TOTAL REGRET

Seriously??? I so dislike reading stuff like this. I am so sorry you have gotten negative comments. That has to stink. Grrrrrr makes me so angry. :angry: It really is no ones business but yours!!

I hope those negative comments don't deter you from getting healthy and doing well with your weight loss!!

Good Luck and I wish you great success!! :)

I find some of their questions entertaining. This week one of them asked, "Aren't you a vegan?" I laughed really loud and said, "Noooooo, I think I'm the opposite of a vegan. I eat high Protein and low carb." Then I left it at that. Those people have seen me eating eggs, yogurt and eating beef Jerky for two months. They've also seen me lose over 40 pounds in two months and it's driving them crazy they can't figure it out since everyone has gained holiday weight.m

Edit to add: I DID tell those I work closely with about my surgery. They love my weekly updates on weight loss and have all been awesome and supportive. However, I just see no reason for the other 25 employee to know.

Edited by krisrpaz

My colleagues in the office knew about my surgury and they concerned for my health for a while (Once I collapped in the office) so they're really supportive. Sometimes when we eat with other colleqgues in the same organisation my boss even gave other the excuse why I eat so little (she said I cannot eat a lot due to some medical condition). I told some other colleagues about my surgury especially if they also have th same health problems like me before surgery. Some I just told because they are open-minded persons and I never received any negative commets. At first I didn't tell my step mother-in-law because I didn't feel commfotable telling her about my peronal issue and not sure what kind of commnt would come out from her but she suspected that I'd had a WLS and asked my husband and he couldn't lie about it. Turned out that she's very supportive, we had a Christmas lunch at their house which I was so scared because she always prepares too much food but she was so cool about it, never comment on anything and told me not to worry finishing the food, she also packed a doggy bag to go home lol. I think she was quite delighted to see the remarkable result ofthe WLS on me.

On the othr hand I haven't told my own family yet because I know some of my family member prety well and I can expect some ignorant comments out of her.

I guess you can go with your instinct to whom you can trust and tell about your surgery.

"good morning".... is always an appropriate thing to say. you may be surprised and no one will say anything. if they do, give up a truthful snippet. low cal, high Protein, exercise routine. all true. no one will bug you after that, if they do, they are way to freakin' nosy. congrats by the way on the surgery and weight loss!!!

Hello everyone! I was sleeved this Monday and am a bit upset that I cannot get my drain out until this following Monday. This means I have to see some of my family and explain why this circle thing with blood in it is hanging from my stomach. I chose mot to tell anyone about my WLS just because I've had that discussion with them and they just said I needed to watch what I eat. I really don't know how to bring it up; even though I'm sure someone else will bring it up when they see me walking really slow.

I guess my question is should I just tell the truth or create another lie, or even just hide my drain until I get it out?

Hello everyone! I was sleeved this Monday and am a bit upset that I cannot get my drain out until this following Monday. This means I have to see some of my family and explain why this circle thing with blood in it is hanging from my stomach. I chose mot to tell anyone about my WLS just because I've had that discussion with them and they just said I needed to watch what I eat. I really don't know how to bring it up; even though I'm sure someone else will bring it up when they see me walking really slow.

I guess my question is should I just tell the truth or create another lie, or even just hide my drain until I get it out?

Tuck that thing in your underwear and wear a large shirt. No one will notice.