Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Going back to work, what do I say?

I'm going back to work on January 2, exactly 1 month post-op. A friend of mine said " don't tell anyone what you had done, let them think you did it on your own" like losing 30 lbs in a month is totally normal? Lol

I am a horrible lier,. I know she said that because it would probably bother me if someone started saying stuff like, easy way out or lazy. But I feel ok ( at the moment) to tell people if they ask. It's my life right? I just know I'd be upset if I heard someone was talking about me. Ug, what did you all do?

When the guys at work started noticing my weight loss and asked how I did it. I told them the truth. I said, "I have drastically cut back on the amount of food I eat and I do a lot of walking." And left it at that.

@@tfarr You just tell them whatever you feel comfortable with, you can't worry about what people will say or think. Grown people are going to say and do as they please and really who cares?! You made a life choice for yourself not your co-workers. You have the prerogative to tell what you wish.

this question is the biggest single hot button topic on these boards . I wont take sides anymore all ill say is this, say whatever makes you feel good about you.

say..."Hi! It's great to be back!" Then get to work. This is totally NOT about them anyway. Let' 'em wonder.

When the guys at work started noticing my weight loss and asked how I did it. I told them the truth. I said, "I have drastically cut back on the amount of food I eat and I do a lot of walking." And left it at that.

My bosses are very judgmental so I said the exact same thing!

I've already encountered this with my moms friends who are super judgement, and I've just said that I'm doing a 1000 calorie diet, no pop, no bread and rice and focusing on Protein, Water and exercising... There are many diets that I've done before so they know I've got a history of dieting... It's technically not lying. Wish you luck at work... I'm starting back at grad school jan 6th, and I've got similar concerns.

I've told everyone who has asked that I an doing high Protein, low carb, low calorie (truth ) and that I've been working on it for a while (truth - since July), but people seem to just starting to notice (truth).

Look people who are going to talk don't understand and that is their problem. You go on with your beautiful you and feel sorry for those that look down cause they have nothing better to do with their life. Pitiful people. You go Girl!

I'm going back to work on January 2, exactly 1 month post-op. A friend of mine said " don't tell anyone what you had done, let them think you did it on your own" like losing 30 lbs in a month is totally normal? Lol

I am a horrible lier,. I know she said that because it would probably bother me if someone started saying stuff like, easy way out or lazy. But I feel ok ( at the moment) to tell people if they ask. It's my life right? I just know I'd be upset if I heard someone was talking about me. Ug, what did you all do?

Uhmm.. You ARE doing this on your own unless you have a personal chef/assistant/trainer who are cooking for you, feeding you precise amounts, exercising your body for you, etc.

I tell people high Protein, low carb, and a lot of moving my body. Then I move on. Period.

People hate not knowing! Its funny how curious people get. Only 2 people at my work know I took leave to get my sleeve and there's no trust issues with them. However, as I had to advise why I needed leave (just said surgery) its started rumours in my office about why i am on leave. People who aren't even in my team know I was on leave for surgery. People gossip. My decision to get a sleeve is none of their business. I am of the opinion to keep it to yourself because I think it opens up the door for more judgement and gossip. I suppose it depends on your office atmosphere. Its hard though. I am just going to say I am making healthier choices. But in the end just do what you feel comfortable with :) everyone is different.

I am planning to resume work next week, I know most will say you didn't need it, or I could do it without sleeve, if I tell them I had sleeve. But I am going to say it. Don't care what they say.

Be honest and answer any medical question they have about the operation.

When I decided to get my sleeve I didn't anounce it to the world but when friends and co-workers knew I was going into the hospital for three days I told them why. Now when people notice I have lost weight I don't offer an explaination but if they ask how I did it I don't lie.

You wouldn't believe how many people told me they had friends and relitives who had bariatric surgery after I told them about mine. I had no idea so many people were having this procedure because no one ever talks about it. If everyone who had it done would be honest it wouldn't be so "in the closet" and people who need it would not be too ashamed or too scared to get a life saving operation.

Help get it "out of the closet", tell the truth.

Hi.

I was totally honest from day 1. It is not normal to loose 30 pounds in one month. If co-workers have a problem or give bad comments. Remember it is their problem not yours.

What you did was for you and no one else. You made the decision to become healthier. Just remember, don't give food advise to them. I will not tell anyone what to eat or not to eat. They have made their choice on their livestyle just like WE made our new choice.

Congrats on your success and you have lots more to go and will be amazing when completed your goal.

Have a sparkling day

I also chose to be honest. I just don't care what people think. I know tons of people that have been taking diet pills for years, if those are the ones that want to judge me, then so be it. I can't look at someone's face and just lie, it's not in me to do that. If it's someone that I just don't know, I'll just say thanks and move on. My BFF had Lap-Band about 7 years ago and told noone but myself and her husband. Still now people ask me if she had surgery, and I have to lie and say not that I know of. Such an uncomfortable situation.

I know this was not an easy way out. If people want to think that, that's on them, not me.