Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling like you're getting no where

My doctor wants Clear liquids for 72 hours, then to the liquid diet for a week then progressing gradually for 30-40 days. They gave me sample menus with 2 to 4 oz portions. Im really trying to imagine eating 2 oz portions and being able to walk away.. I think I will also seek some behavioral counseling as I am more of a mental eater than a physical one. I eat when Im bored and or stressed... I eat because I THINK I should be eating.

I so just want to eat normal meals and not feel disgusted with myself after eating every meal..It becomes a vicious cycle of depression and anxiety that is hard to break. Once I see the scale moving downward I will find the motivation...

I've found counseling a huge help. I need lots of reinforcements as well as the "whys." The NUT and these boards & my therapist and the support from my spouse have been life savers.

Its good you can identify and acknowledge your struggles. That's the first step! See! You are already on the road to a healthier life! Learn to take it one day at a time. Enjoy every moment. After a while that will be a good habit replacing a bad one. ☺️

I eat out quite a lot at lunchtimes and have whatever I feel like having. The point is that since surgery I just don't want rich food or anything that's hard to digest. I tend to choose healthier stuff and stop eating when I start to feel full which means I leave at least half of the plate of food.< /p>

It's 3 months since my op and I'm pleased with my weight loss although it's not as fast as some of you and I feel healthier as each week goes by. I don't want to regard myself as being on a 'diet' for the rest of my life with all that entails such as feeling deprived etc. It's all about Portion Control and making sure you eat the protein/veg before any 'extras' That way you can have a taste of something you fancy without eating a great deal of it. Listening to your body is the key.

Good luck with your journey and I wish you every success.

Just curious as to if a person will ever be able to eat a "portion" of food following the surgery. I keep hearing 1/4 of this a 1/2 of that and it kind of scares me that I am going to hate myself for doing this... Do you ever go back to eating a normal human portion of food?

It all depends on how we define "a normal human portion of food."

Last night, hubby and I went to a restaurant with several adult grandchildren and a grandson's girlfriend who's from France. She ordered a "light chicken salad" and a glass of red wine. When her order arrived, we were all gobsmacked at the size of her meal. I apologized for the American-sized portion, and she said, "After living in the US for 10 years, I'm used to it. But it's at least four times the size of a French restaurant portion."

And here's a timely article in this morning's New York Times with pictures about what 2,000 calories of some common restaurant portions look like:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/12/22/upshot/what-2000-calories-looks-like.html?emc=edit_th_20141223&nl=todaysheadlines&nlid=40256033&abt=0002&abg=1

It all depends on how we define "a normal human portion of food."

Last night, hubby and I went to a restaurant with several adult grandchildren and a grandson's girlfriend who's from France. She ordered a "light chicken salad" and a glass of red wine. When her order arrived, we were all gobsmacked at the size of her meal. I apologized for the American-sized portion, and she said, "After living in the US for 10 years, I'm used to it. But it's at least four times the size of a French restaurant portion."

And here's a timely article in this morning's New York Times with pictures about what 2,000 calories of some common restaurant portions look like:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/12/22/upshot/what-2000-calories-looks-like.html?emc=edit_th_20141223&nl=todaysheadlines&nlid=40256033&abt=0002&abg=1

It really is ridiculous....the amount of "food" that is piled onto ones plate in restaurants.

At the risk of sounding uppity, I have found that the more upscale a place the less you find your plate filled. Of course, many serve in courses but if done right other than the main course, each portion is small but full of flavor...meant to cleanse a pallet, not to stuff like so many hogs at the trough.

I am just going to unashamedly admit that I love food and no amount of surgery is going to change that nor should it. Tastebuds exist for a reason. Lol I think "we" as a society need to realign our emotional thinking about food & need to slow down and actually have a meal that doesn't require scarfing it down. That little rat in the movie Ratatouille had it right (btw, ratatouille is a wonderful dish and can be made sleeve friendly.) Alas, at least in my neck of the woods, slowing down to enjoy a meal isn't a top priority.

Growing up I was lucky enough to have learned about gardening too so I grow almost year round. 2015 I plan to embark on year-round growing. I support eating locally and that has been a big help. And I realize all of this may not practical for some but any positive changes you can make is a step in the right direction.

I still indulge if it can be called that. The relative difference now is I am acutely aware and mindful of my limits, no longer am I hedonistic about food but instead I call myself flexible because I have to be that way. However, I sure did put an end to my habit of losing sleep over food....

Sorry for the long rant about me. Thats my two-cents anyway. Lol

Food does not have to be our enemy, it sustains us and keeps us alive....when treated right.

I eat out all the time :) I order normal portions and just have left over or pawn off on the hubby. I try to order a good Protein base. Like a grilled chicken or shrimp. And I pass on the sides. Maybe if I'm feeling frisky I will eat a bite of baked potato. Lol you are at the same mark as me. Maybe u feel off track cause weight loss has slowed down the last few weeks. I know mine did!! I only lost 7 pounds in a month!!!! BUT this week.... In 3 days I have lost 5 pounds! The stall is broken! Although it is frustrating I kept doing my thing... It finally settled and scales are moving in the right direction. Good luck to you dear!!

hi..I'm new here. My name is Melissa. I was sleeved on Oct.28, 2014. I feel like I've completely fell off the bandwagon. There are things I'm unsure about..like how to order when I eat out. I always feel like I've ordered the wrong thing. What's the easiest way to get back on track and start feeling good about yourself.

How to order when you eat out? Seriously easy.

Before I go to a restaurant, I check out the online menu (if possible) so I can familiarize myself with their offerings. Learned this over all those years at WWs and it's a habit that serves me well.

Nine times out of ten, there is something on the appetizer menu that is perfect for me. Mostly Protein, few carbs, exactly the right portion for me to eat as a meal and still enough to share if anyone is interested. Cheaper, too. Just ask for it to come with everyone else's meal.

If there is no appetizer that looks interesting, I go to the soup/salad menu. French Onion is a favorite of mine and a Soup most restaurants have. I love a seafood chowder, too. Again, ask for it with the meal, not when everyone else gets their salad.

If there is no Soup, I go for a salad with Protein and just eat the toppings.

I will peek at the kids' menu, but those are usually so unhealthy, I rarely find anything for me.

My next recourse is the sandwich menu. There are so many yummy variations and I simply ask for it without bread and with salad or veggies on the side instead of fries or chips. This is a common request and I've not had a restaurant deny me.

If I am still unable to find something, I will <gasp> skip the meal. Not a game changer, not a big deal. I will survive and I won't even be unhappy. I nurse a glass of wine and a cup of coffee and I enjoy the conversation. This rarely happens because I can't find something but happens more than I thought it would because I've finally figured out that just because it's lunchtime or everyone else is eating, if I'm not hungry, I don't **HAVE** to eat.

Fast food.

Chili. A burger without the top bun. A grilled chicken sandwich without the bun. A cup of soup or a salad. A wrap, peeling off most of the tortilla. A steak and cheese (YUMMMMMM!), just eating the insides. A sub, again, just eating the insides or asking for it as a lettuce wrap.

Personally, I am partial to sushi. One roll and some edamame is a favorite.

At Arby's, I love a junior roast beef, no top bun.

At a Mexican joint, a kids' fajitas, Beans, no rice, no tortilla. Or fish tacos, yum!

At a deli, seafood salad or hot ham and cheese, no bread.

Panera, soup or 1/4 of the steak and white cheddar panini on flatbread. (My restriction is tight, tight, tight.)

Sliders are all the rage right now. Perfect for sleeved tummies.

Chick Filet has grilled nuggets and awesome chicken soup.

Chipotle has a great single taco kids' meal. Double Beans, no rice. Or I get a bowl, no rice, double beans and eat it for 3-4 days.

Asian. Shrimp dish, beef dish, chicken breast -- not fried, with sauce on the side and no rice.

BBQ, no bun.

pizza places are my biggest challenge and I usually get an order of cheese sticks to share with the table or I eat the toppings off a slice with a bit of crust. Sometimes they will have a meatball on the kids' menu and that's a perfect option for me.

Seriously, eating out is easy and can be healthy with the right choices.

Edited by LipstickLady

If it's a fancy restaurant call ahead. I'm vegetarian and can eat out most places except steak house or seafood places because of my allergies. I've had some delicious chef specially made dishes this way. I always send compliments to the chef. I think they like hearing that you appreciate them going out of the way for you.

Edited by BLERDgirl