Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling like you're getting no where

No, eating 2,3 and 4 portions made me fat.. I have always tried Portion Control but my body and mind would not let me eat just the one portion...

First congrats and good luck with the surgery!

Second, you will find that your pouch (are you getting a sleeve?) will totally take care of portion control inless you are a sadist and enjoy excruciating pain and trips to the ER...

I can get down 2-3 oz of Protein like chicken, steak, or fish. After that a couple of bites of veggies. Then maybe a nibble of a FLAT bread like a tortilla and thats on a good day.

Edited by tomi71

Really? Everyone ( Doc, NUT, nurses) always referred to it as a pouch...a restrictive pouch...

Second, you will find that your pouch (are you getting a sleeve?) will totally take care of Portion Control inless you are a sadist and enjoy excruciating pain and trips to the ER...

I can get down 2-3 oz of Protein like chicken, steak, or fish. After that a couple of bites of veggies. Then maybe a nibble of a FLAT bread like a tortilla and thats on a good day.

I know this sounds kind of weird, but can someone post a picture of a typical meal? Just so I know what to expect. Also can you eat the occasional sweets with the sleeve?

No, eating 2,3 and 4 portions made me fat.. I have always tried Portion Control but my body and mind would not let me eat just the one portion...

Consider this the new normal. To be successful this will be your new portion size.

Bypass patients have pouches, sleevers have reduced sized stomachs.

My team actually calls it a sleeve.

I think I can relate. I was sleeved on October 27th and I finally get to eat what I want...and boy oh boy have I tested the limits. I haven't eaten a lot but I have eaten a bit of everything. It's the holidays I think. I haven't planned well for the holiday gatherings. I'm also struggling to get the Protein in. I'm cutting myself a little slack because I'm still losing. And I'm determined to get the Protein in before I eat any holiday treats. This way I know I won't eat too many bad things.

Hang in there and be kind to yourself.

Second, you will find that your pouch (are you getting a sleeve?) will totally take care of Portion Control inless you are a sadist and enjoy excruciating pain and trips to the ER...

Why would you waste precious real estate and take in empty calories like bread of any sort?

Why would you waste precious real estate and take in empty calories like bread of any sort?

Nutrionally speaking bread is not necessarily empty calories. A little bit will not hurt. So far so good! Notice I used the term FLAT.

Not sure what everyone else's medical professionals have told them but with my team, bread in small doses is a-ok. Flat bread only, however and only after getting Proteins and veggie carbs. It helps boost energy. Low carb Protein and Fiber rich tortillas are my fav. 1 pack will last me a very long time.

At any rate, as I said previously, to each its own. I work with my NUT and surgeon and I do what works for me and thats my advice to anyone.

I know this sounds kind of weird, but can someone post a picture of a typical meal? Just so I know what to expect. Also can you eat the occasional sweets with the sleeve?

This may be hard to grasp but your are really eating tiny portions. However you are not hungry and you don't feel deprived. What I think you may have trouble with is the mental part. Like I posted earlier small portions will be your new normal. Has your medical team given you any ideas about sample menus or what your return to eating will be like?

Everyone's team does it differently. I was full liquids, then pureed foods, then soft foods then regular food as tolerates. The full liquid stage was 2 weeks long. Most teams want patients getting most if not all of their Protein from food. The goal is 60gms of Protein and 64ounces of fluids a day. Trying to eat like you used to pre-sleeve is a set up for failure. You have to work with the tool. It is not a magic wand that will do all the work for you. I can eat one Hershey's kiss and be satisfied. Other's can't. Still others have no taste for it any more. They simply no longer want it. If the mental issues are too much, then it may be wise to seek out counseling for food addiction to help you make better use of the surgery.

I think this concept is hard for people with lifelong food addictions to grasp until they actually have the surgery. All of these concerns would be better addressed by your nutritionist & medical team so they can better assist you.

I think I can relate. I was sleeved on October 27th and I finally get to eat what I want...and boy oh boy have I tested the limits. I haven't eaten a lot but I have eaten a bit of everything. It's the holidays I think. I haven't planned well for the holiday gatherings. I'm also struggling to get the Protein in. I'm cutting myself a little slack because I'm still losing. And I'm determined to get the Protein in before I eat any holiday treats. This way I know I won't eat too many bad things.

Hang in there and be kind to yourself

It's tough sometimes figuring out what to eat on a daily basis. It gets tiring but I would do it all over again!! Good luck during these next few days...I know I'll probably need it!!

@@tomi71 Carbs give you energy. I just prefer not to eat overly processed foods like special low carb bread. I eat complex carbs instead. it's just a personal preference.

This may be hard to grasp but your are really eating tiny portions. However you are not hungry and you don't feel deprived. What I think you may have trouble with is the mental part. Like I posted earlier small portions will be your new normal. Has your medical team given you any ideas about sample menus or what your return to eating will be like?

Everyone's team does it differently. I was full liquids, then pureed foods, then soft foods then regular food as tolerates. The full liquid stage was 2 weeks long. Most teams want patients getting most if not all of their Protein from food. The goal is 60gms of Protein and 64ounces of fluids a day. Trying to eat like you used to pre-sleeve is a set up for failure. You have to work with the tool. It is not a magic wand that will do all the work for you. I can eat one Hershey's kiss and be satisfied. Other's can't. Still others have no taste for it any more. They simply no longer want it. If the mental issues are too much, then it may be wise to seek out counseling for food addiction to help you make better use of the surgery.

I think this concept is hard for people with lifelong food addictions to grasp until they actually have the surgery. All of these concerns would be better addressed by your nutritionist & medical team so they can better assist you.

That's me...Hershey's kiss is not a good thing. Comes back up, after half a bite. Talk about empty calories taking up precious real estate, btw.

That's me...Hershey's kiss is not a good thing. Comes back up, after half a bite. Talk about empty calories taking up precious real estate, btw.

LOL Touche. '

Point still stands Complex carbs >>> than simple carbs . Also a big difference between an occasional treat and daily intake, especially if it's a challenge to get in your Protein and Water.