Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling like you're getting no where

Ok, maybe pizza....

Lol ;)

I find most if not all takout foods have extremely high levels of sodium and preservatives. Not what I would call "healthy". Remember healthy is not just not being fat anymore..What you stated may be a better alternative than the alternatives on the menu, sure. But not the best choices, but thats just my opinion. After going through this, I dont plan on touching take out food ever again..

Again it's know how to work a menu. If I order Chinese take and get steamed broccoli and steamed tofu with the sauce on the side, the sodium is minimal and well within normal range. If I order my salad from the pizza shop, not croutons and oil & vinegar on the side, again, sodium is within normal range. It's about being aware of where the dangers lie.

If you feel safer not doing fast foods that's perfectly fine. We all must learn new habits to ensure successful outcomes.

Again it's know how to work a menu. If I order Chinese take and get steamed broccoli and steamed tofu with the sauce on the side, the sodium is minimal and well within normal range. If I order my salad from the pizza shop, not croutons and oil & vinegar on the side, again, sodium is within normal range. It's about being aware of where the dangers lie.

If you feel safer not doing fast foods that's perfectly fine. We all must learn new habits to ensure successful outcomes.

My question is why would you order that stuff from take out places when its so simple to make and take with you? Is it more if you are in a pinch and need to eat, or is it a lifestyle where it does not allow you to make your own foods? Also FWIW My wife worked in the food industry, and your "GRILLED" chicken you order from a diner or pizza place is thrown on the skillet with a ton of grease, its not grilled..The horror stories she has told me, bleeeeehhh... I dont plan on ordering take out after all this, but plans change of course. But I cant see me doing it within the first 2 months following surgery for sure...whats your opinion on that?

Most days I don't. I rarely eat processed food at all and I typically do food prep every Sunday. However, in a pinch I like knowing how to eat in public and still be safe. BTW I personally don't eat chicken. I am a ovo-lacto vegetarian. However, my local pizza place does indeed grill it's chicken on a grill. I know this because the way the restaurant is set up you can see it.

I ate at iHop at 6 weeks. I ordered a garden omelet and opted for the fruit as my side. I ate ¼ of the omelet, a few bites of fruit and took the rest home. It wasn't an everyday occurrence but I was out longer than I had planned and it was eat or get sick.

I'm a long time vegetarian with multiple food allergies. I also have a very active social life and part of that includes eating out. I've learned long ago how to eat in public. Are there horror stories in the restaurant industry? Absolutely. However there are horror stories in the food industry period. Unless you are the one growing and harvesting every bite you eat, nothing is 100%. Don't even get me started on GMO's. The best you can do is be informed. I doubt I'll be eating at McDonald's anytime soon, but I won't ever say I'm never going to a restaurant or take out restaurant again.

I've eaten out a few times (and I'm just over 5 weeks out). I either order chili or an omelette. I think that maintaining healthy social relationships is important too.

I worked in food service too. Except it was in upscale boutique eateries....the kind where most everything was made from whole foods, many times organic.

When traveling for business it is impossible to just bring my meals with...not practical....don't know what else to say other than to each his own.

Best advice is follow your NUTS advice. Thats what the are there for, to help you. No one else's opinion other than that of trained professionals should influence. Its nice to get feedback and hear stories on these boards but they aren't a substitute for the medical services you receive....no matter how extreme some folks are.

Do what works for you.

hi..I'm new here. My name is Melissa. I was sleeved on Oct.28, 2014. I feel like I've completely fell off the bandwagon. There are things I'm unsure about..like how to order when I eat out. I always feel like I've ordered the wrong thing. What's the easiest way to get back on track and start feeling good about yourself.

You are less than two months out. How far off the wagon could you possibly be?

My nutritionist said stick with items that are less than 15 grams of carbs, 5 grams of sugar, and 5 grams of fat. Like someone else mentioned: choose places that have printed or internet nutritional value. Know what you are going to order before you go...that way you are not tempted.

Besides being on this WLS journey, my son is a type 1 diabetic. We have not changed our super busy lifestyle because of it. We've learned to work within the system by knowing the nutritional values of the things he likes most and the places he likes to eat. No one likes to feel deprived, which is how he and I would feel if I was told I couldn't eat out or touch fast food.

All I'm saying if one of yall came at me for asking a simple question on a website that is ment to have questions asked it would be on. There is no dumb question some people really don't know things. Some people's schedule does not permit the making of food prior. Whether it is accidentally over sleeping or what have you. No one is perfect. Before the sleeve or band or bypass if someone told you you shouldn't have eaten out how would you have acted. You didn't get the surgery cause yall were skinny I'm almost 100% sure of that. Alot of people get this high and might princess attitude turning their noses up at things they have done too. Whether it was done before or after surgery. I have noticed this alot on this forum alot of people are starting to snap at others for their questions and if that is the case remove yourself so people can get answers not judgment. We get that from actual people we come across everyday don't need it from people on here. So sorry for ranting but it is on almost every topic I have read. Some rude snippety person judging others.

All I'm saying if one of yall came at me for asking a simple question on a website that is ment to have questions asked it would be on. There is no dumb question some people really don't know things. Some people's schedule does not permit the making of food prior. Whether it is accidentally over sleeping or what have you. No one is perfect. Before the sleeve or band or bypass if someone told you you shouldn't have eaten out how would you have acted. You didn't get the surgery cause yall were skinny I'm almost 100% sure of that. Alot of people get this high and might princess attitude turning their noses up at things they have done too. Whether it was done before or after surgery. I have noticed this alot on this forum alot of people are starting to snap at others for their questions and if that is the case remove yourself so people can get answers not judgment. We get that from actual people we come across everyday don't need it from people on here. So sorry for ranting but it is on almost every topic I have read. Some rude snippety person judging others.

What in the world are you talking about? There was only one "rude snippety" person in this thread that I saw.

What in the world are you talking about?? Did I miss something here?

That is what I am referring to the one person sorry I didn't comment earlier when it was first said I just saw the topic when I did comment. Maybe I should have just made my own thread about rude comments in general but I don't know how so I just left a comment. I said I have been seeing it in other thread topics. Did not say there were multiple in this one.

That is what I am referring to the one person sorry I didn't comment earlier when it was first said I just saw the topic when I did comment. Maybe I should have just made my own thread about rude comments in general but I don't know how so I just left a comment. I said I have been seeing it in other thread topics. Did not say there were multiple in this one.

Again, what are you even talking about?

Nevermind! Don't worry about it. I will make my own thread...

One thing that I like to mention to newbies is that all questions are welcome. Just be aware that opinions and tact may vary. Be prepared to incorporate what you need and simply disregard the rest. Even though someone may sound short with a new person, their concern may only be that they don't want a new person to fall off the cliff. Email and texting rob a conversation of body language and tone, making it more difficult to fully understand where someone is coming from.

At a year out, I will still do 98% of my eating at home with food prepared from scratch and nothing made in a factory. But if I am travelling or delayed, then I may indeed go into a restaurant and make the healthiest choice that I can.