Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone had any positive post op experiences?

Not sure if this has already been said but.... When you feel like you're reading about a lot of bad keep in mind that the people who are having a difficult time are the ones who need the most support so they feel the need to post more often. People who are successful and happy don't necessarily need support from a forum.

Edited by sunflowerchild

I'm am 4 weeks post op. I've lost 45 pounds and I haven't had any issues. Just remember to pick up a stool softener and power form Fiber. It seems to be the one thing that's forgotten.

I'm 12 days out. I'm down 16 lbs (24 since pre-op). I had a very easy time. I took Tylenol twice the frat day home and have needed nothing since. I've been walking and trying to get 4,000 steps a day. I'm napping a bit and that's good too!

I feel blessed that I've had such an easy time.

I thought post op was pretty easy. Went back to work in 5 days. Surgery on Wednesday back to work Monday. Pain pretty tolerable. As usual on the Internet you may read more negative stories because the people who didn't have any issues don't post as much as those who do.

In my skinny life I used to sleep on my stomach. When I got larger I had to sleep in my side due to back pain so I was not worried about sleeping on my stomach when I got my rny done. Now at 60 lbs lost from my hw I am sleeping in my stomach again with no back pain.

Would I do this again. Yes. No doubt about it. Are there things I can't eat. Yes. Should I have been eating them in the first place on the quantities I was. No.

I am happy with my decision.

I feel it is very important you realize that people are different. Different weights, different ages, different health issues. Our bodies react differently. Stay positive but realize you are about to have major surgery and radically change your body and there is no going back. Prepare yourself for some rough road, it's major surgery! Not a trip to the dentist.

At best is goes very easy for you. At worst, you have some pain and a longer recovery. Complications are rare.

Is it worth it to you to have your weight loss?

This surgery puts a shackle around your ability to eat. That's what it does. Just be honest with yourself about wether you are making a choice for the best and willing to go through a little pain to get there. It passes

Anyone who says this surgery is a snap of the fingers is probably getting paid or very lucky.

I have had the surgery and had two other friends have it and it was not a wam bam thank you Mamn for us.

That said, I believe it is worth it. I would do it again.

It's a little like childbirth. Yes there is pain and the first few days and even weeks are tough and you may wonder "what did I do? I can't eat more than a thimbleful. It hurts to drink water." Eating actually can hurt and you just wish it wouldn't. I do remember wondering if I'd ever get to eat without feeling uncomfortably full or have a stuck feeling. But that was early early on in The first couple weeks or so. Gradually over time I can now eat almost normal just smaller quantities. I can now gulp Water if I want (just not right after eating). It is hard to even remember the early days of pain or frustration with food. So now 20 months out life is very very good at almost 140 pounds down. Just like I can't remember childbirth pain or sleepless nights feeding babies, I can't remember the tough early days of WLS. All I remember now is that I fit in size 12 and am in maintenance! Best decision ever for me.

No regrets. I feel wonderful and I have lost 45 pounds and I'll be 7 weeks on Tuesday. My biggest problem was Constipation. In the early days I did have an issue with overfilling my pouch. Somehow I thought I was supposed to eat 1/2 cup but it turns out I can only eat 1/4 cup. If you eat too much your pouch is not happy. But I have figured it out, if I eat the right amount and eat slowly I can eat most anything. I certainly can take a little bite of anything even desert. It's hard to explain but just that little bite feels just as good as a plate full. It is awesome.

Sometimes I chuckle at the size of my meals.

Example: A tiny piece of fish, 5 black Beans, 1 grape and a 1/4 inch slice of banana (yes, that's a little thin circle). But that's all I need and I love it.

My biggest regret, not doing it sooner. I feel like I lost 10+ years of my life feeling miserable but I was so afraid. It was a silly fear because the results are amazing and I am not even 7 weeks post-op. Thank you Dr. Fitzer.

Like sunflowerchild said earlier, you're more likely to read negatives online (about anything, really) than positives. When we're not happy with something, we want to warn everyone, but if we're happy, we don't always do anything about it.

Having said that, one of the things that really reassured me before surgery is how many more positives you read about on forums than negatives. Sure, they're there, and they may stick in your mind, but most of us have had really positive experiences. I'm 10 weeks today, and I've had a bunch of positives: getting off of almost all of my medications, losing 70 lbs, being able to exercise with less pain, fitting into smaller clothes, fitting in a theater seat, and having more self confidence. And that's all in less than three months. I can't wait to see what the summer brings!

I think about two weeks out I was in a cloud of regret. But now I am 2 months and 10 days out and I don't regret it. Guess what I found a week ago...? MY COLLARBONES!! I haven't seen them since I was about 13. But they are coming back!! And I can cross my legs easier and tie my shoes without holding my breath.

No regrets. :D

I'm 3 weeks post op today and have not had one regret thus far!! It's a different way of living but I think everything is better, especially as clothes that I outgrew are starting to fit again! I'm grateful for this opportunity that I've been given to renew my life!! It's also awesome how much more time I have since I'm don't have much cooking to do! :)

I am 4 months, 70+ pounds down and feel GREAT!!! I work out 5 days a week plus walk 3 times throughout my day at work!!!! After getting through all the phases you can eat fairly normal within reason ( meaning low - sugar fat etc). I went back to work after only 9 days too!!! So far So Good!! Hoping it continues!!! sleeping was not an issue for me either...I'm a stomach sleeper, but I just slept propped up on my pillows till I was able to switch back!!! The only 2 nagging things for me is remembering to drink drink drink... and of course constipation...otherwise It's BEEN GREAT!!!

Jennifer

What are some of the Facebook sites? My surg is dec 22nd, and I too only see negative thoughts on post op---starting to scare me :(