Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I looked at like this...all the years of failed dieting and now I'm 40. Had high blood pressure, constantly sweating, sleep apnea, etc. It was life or death for me, that's how I look at it. I figured if I didn't commit to do it, I'd be dead in 5 or 10 years. It was the best thing I have ever done for myself. I am down 49 pounds since Sept. 15th. I don't have to take blood pressure meds anymore and my colitis is in remission. It is scary before the surgery, my food was like a friend, and you will mourn it. But you'll be happier and healthier for it. And alive. You can do it! Trust me, it is so worth it!!!

Edited by NewKaren

I was a bit silly, I'll admit. I watched a ton of medical dramas on TV, and desensitized myself to the idea of surgery. I realized that just because I personally don't often see surgeries, or go to hospitals, doesn't mean there aren't lots of people who do, on a daily basis. Finding a great doctor with a great record helps. If medical doctors can bring people back after cardiac arrest, bypasses, brain surgery, and transplants, a little VSG should be a piece of cake. And it was!

I was scared, too. We all were. I think you'd have to be a little nuts not to be concerned. But we all decided the benefits outweigh the risks. This is a hard surgery. But it is worth it... Period. Don't let fear make your decision for you.

Edited by JCP

You are going to be your own worst enemy after surgery. Your head will play games with you. STAY STRONG! I will say that I struggled during my 2 week liquids phase. I wanted to EAT. Not binge but just chew something. I wanted pizza, steak, burger.... anything and everything. I wasn't hungry but just wanted to chew food. Now that I've started Phase 3 and can have soft/pureed foods - my head stopped talking to me.

Just stay strong and you will make it through. Good luck!!

Had surgery two days ago. I was nervous as well. Other than being sore, I feel great. The complete lack of hunger is amazing. I'm so glad that I paid for this surgery. Good luck.

I was scared, too. We all were. I think you'd have to be a little nuts not to be concerned. But we all decided the benefits outweigh the risks. This is a hard surgery. But it is worth it... Period. Don't let fear make your decision for you.

Could I add you as a friend? I would love to keep in touch. I can learn from you since you were so recent.

You are going to be your own worst enemy after surgery. Your head will play games with you. STAY STRONG! I will say that I struggled during my 2 week liquids phase. I wanted to EAT. Not binge but just chew something. I wanted pizza, steak, burger.... anything and everything. I wasn't hungry but just wanted to chew food. Now that I've started Phase 3 and can have soft/pureed foods - my head stopped talking to me.

Just stay strong and you will make it through. Good luck!!

OMG I can relate to this. I know how it feels when you just want something solid going into your tummy. liquid phase will be tough for me.

I have been known to eat even if I just had a wisdom tooth taken out. lol

@ I actually ran out of my first scheduled surgery date. I was set for October 10, and I got to the hospital, got all naked, the IV was in, and I changed my mind and left because I was panicking.

It was a terrible decision and I regretted it immediately after leaving the hospital. It took another 3 weeks to reschedule, which meant more pre-op diet, more money and more hassle.

I made the decision to get the sleeve calmly and rationally, and I let day-of panic make the decision to leave. I should have trusted my calm, rational self. I am 35 and was 260 lbs, and I didn't want to be 40 and staring down 300 lbs, or more. Do you want to choose not to have the surgery and deal with this weight for the rest of your life? I didn't.

Only you know what's right for you, but having the surgery was the right decision for me. And the anesthesiologist can give you something to calm your nerves on the day-of to help you get through it.

I am now 3.5 weeks post op, and transitioning to sleeved life hasn't been super easy, but I'm already down a significant amount of weight, and I know I just need some time to adjust to this way of life.

Good luck to you!

I'm 6 days out from surgery (10lbs down) and I can tell you, I was feeling the same way . The actual surgery it's self really wasn't all that painful, for me, it was the anesthesia, which can make some feel nauseous. Don't listen to the negative thoughts, have faith , pray and push through it, you can do it! As 2015 approaches a healthier and happier you is waiting and saying , Happy New.. Me!

Thank you for giving me your opinions. I am open to learning from others. I felt a little more courage today.....

@@mnmlst

Thank you for your reply. It opened up my mind to think about what you said because I too fear to have to dread the scale everyday and walk away hating myself.

This entire process can be overwhelming and scary. All of us have been there so we understand. I can't tell you how many seminars I attended over the years trying to make the decision if this was right for me. There is a learning curve to all of it but its not anything you can't do... in fact your stomach takes over where the will-power fails. You can do this, I have no doubt. I had the surgery at 58 years old so if I can do it, I know you can. I just have to tell you that this is the best thing I've ever done for myself and would do it over again in a heart beat. I love my sleeve. Don't worry about failure...your stomach will take control and keep you honest. If you are tired of being tired, fat, and miserable...this is your way out. It is not the easy way out but it is the successful way out. If you want the weight to fall off, the new clothes to become smaller and people to notice you for who you are rather than your size, then this just might be the right path for you. I love it and I get compliments all of the time. It is worth every negative side effect I ever had....they were all temporary...and the weight loss is going to be permanent. Good luck to you.

This entire process can be overwhelming and scary. All of us have been there so we understand. I can't tell you how many seminars I attended over the years trying to make the decision if this was right for me. There is a learning curve to all of it but its not anything you can't do... in fact your stomach takes over where the will-power fails. You can do this, I have no doubt. I had the surgery at 58 years old so if I can do it, I know you can. I just have to tell you that this is the best thing I've ever done for myself and would do it over again in a heart beat. I love my sleeve. Don't worry about failure...your stomach will take control and keep you honest. If you are tired of being tired, fat, and miserable...this is your way out. It is not the easy way out but it is the successful way out. If you want the weight to fall off, the new clothes to become smaller and people to notice you for who you are rather than your size, then this just might be the right path for you. I love it and I get compliments all of the time. It is worth every negative side effect I ever had....they were all temporary...and the weight loss is going to be permanent. Good luck to you.

Thank you for your response. You made valid points and I will certainly think about what you stated. It is true. I am tired of being tired, fat, stared upon, etc. I am my worst enemy. I am very hard on myself, so I do enough damage emotionally that what others don't affect me at that point. So yes, I have to build the courage as time is getting near. I haven't told anyone, because I don't have support for this. Only one person.