Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lucky # Sevens- July 07 Bandsters

Wow. I have been so busy, and haven't been able to keep up at all!! I'm working ALL the time, not to mention school, trying to find a new job, and move! It's crazy.

I finally got my first fill Friday, so hopefully my weight will start dropping now. Instead of yo-yoing (which is what its done for the past few months)

There is no way I have time to go back and read, so if someone would be willing to fill me in on any important news, I'd greatly appreciate it...

~*Ash*~

Well, nice to see you drop in again! We're missing a lot of our "old timers"!

Don't know of a lot of news except I re-introduced the cruise idea and think I will go talk to a local travel agent today about our options. We're thinking Alaska or I thought I might see about Hawaii. Anyways, wondering who might be interested for next year... August, probably.

I had my first fill yesterday. liquids today and I'm hungry! I hope this fill is going to do something! But, regardless, I have another appointment for Oct. 8th and I'm SURE I will need another "hit"! 3cc in yesterday in a 10cc band.

Hi Phyl and Ray;

Nice to see you back on the board Ray!!

Phyl, I had my second fill today in Toronto. It went without a hitch, the only time consuming thing is sitting inthe reception area afterwards and drinking the required 500ml of Water. This ensures that the restriction is o.k. and not too tight. Otherwise the RN takes you back in and defills about 1/2 cc.

So as of now I have 7 cc's in a 9.5cc band. I got the French MIDBAND in July.

I lost 2 1/2 lbs between fill 1 and fill 2. SO I was pleased with that.

Your doctor fills using fluroscopy? is that because your PORT is too deep to be felt under the skin?

My doctor does his through Fluoro also. You can point feel mine through my skin, but he wanted to make sure he was in the right spot. I think it's just a precautionary matter...

~*Ash*~

Hi everyone :wave:

Things are going okay with my first fill. I think. I'm not always sure as sometimes (especially my first mouthful) it feels like it gets stuck. Or gets a bubble of air between it and the banded area to my stomach that will give me that sharpish pain in the middle of my chest. I've had a few sessions of sliming that have lasted about 5-10 minutes. Once the obstruction has either come up or gone down, it's okay from there. But this is happening with fluids too. Not all the time, but most often if it's going to happen it'll be within the first couple of mouthfuls.

The good news is my appetite has decreased. It feels so good not to be hungry all the time and not always thinking of food. When I do get a little hungry I'd like to be able to eat something though. So far I've just stuck with Soups and mushies as I don't think I'd be able to handle anything more than that. With the exception of crackers. They don't give me any problems. Maybe my fill was a little too restrictive, but I want to see how things go for a little while longer before calling my doctor. Maybe things will settle down.

My weight continues to drop so I can't complain about that! I've lost 3lbs since my fill on Friday so that side effect is most welcome. :)

My doctor does his through Fluoro also. You can point feel mine through my skin, but he wanted to make sure he was in the right spot. I think it's just a precautionary matter...

~*Ash*~

Well, he did say my port was deep, but I thought I could feel it not too far under my skin. They told me on the phone they'd been "having some problems", I assume finding the port. So the fluoroscopy is a precautionary measure, I guess. I was on that hard table 15-20 minutesand much of that was the doc trying to find the right spot. I seem to be doing better today.

Supposed to be on liquids, but no milk in the house to mix a Protein Drink so I had 1/2 cup of cottage cheese for Breakfast. Was starting to feel hungry about mid-morning but ignored it. Around noon I went out for a ride on my scooter and got a latte. I took 1/2 scoop of Protein Powder in a little cup in my pocket and asked the gal to put it in my latte. That was an hour ago and I still don't feel hungry, so that should hold me for a while. It didn't dissolve very good, though.

CRUISE :update:

I also talked to the local travel agent while I was out. Because of the hurricane danger she recommended Alaska or the Mexico. She agreed that Mexico would be very hot and humid in August. I asked her about Hawaii. She said at that time of the year you have two options... round trip flight to Honolulu and cruise the islands for 7 days or board in San Diego and go over and back. She said either of those is pricey and the San Diego round trip cruise would be 14-15 days. Turn around cruises in April or September are a good bargain, but everyone seemed to want to go in August. She will have prices for me tomorrow. She highly recommended Holland America out of Seattle to Alaska.

Regarding fluoroscopy: It is my understanding that it's used for 2 reasons....needle placement if the port is hard to access and also for watching barium go through the band to see how fast it moves. This gives the doctor a better idea how much to put in or take out based on that.

Regarding the cruise: I am also a member of a Disney cruise line forum and lots of folks there who have cruised Alaska recommend Princess. I also got a first-hand report of a Princess Alaska cruise from a doctor I work with a couple of years ago. But I'm not picky! Just my .02.

Hi everyone :wave:

Things are going okay with my first fill. I think. I'm not always sure as sometimes (especially my first mouthful) it feels like it gets stuck. Or gets a bubble of air between it and the banded area to my stomach that will give me that sharpish pain in the middle of my chest. I've had a few sessions of sliming that have lasted about 5-10 minutes. Once the obstruction has either come up or gone down, it's okay from there. But this is happening with fluids too. Not all the time, but most often if it's going to happen it'll be within the first couple of mouthfuls.

The good news is my appetite has decreased. It feels so good not to be hungry all the time and not always thinking of food. When I do get a little hungry I'd like to be able to eat something though. So far I've just stuck with Soups and mushies as I don't think I'd be able to handle anything more than that. With the exception of crackers. They don't give me any problems. Maybe my fill was a little too restrictive, but I want to see how things go for a little while longer before calling my doctor. Maybe things will settle down.

My weight continues to drop so I can't complain about that! I've lost 3lbs since my fill on Friday so that side effect is most welcome. :)

Congrats on losing weight so well.....

With the problems with your first few bites, swallows.... I do the same thing.

I think because I am hungry I slightly forget that EACH mouthful should be small and well chewed... starting with bite #1..

I just had my 2nd fill this a.m. and have only been able to pass Water and 1/2 of a protien shake, I am saving the rest for later on .

My DH is eating pizza as I type this, awh it's HIS birthday... what could I say... but my it does smell good.. :cry

Chloe H from Australia banded July 30 2007

weight.png

Hi, Chloe,

How's it going??

I had the EXACT same problem with some General Tsao's chicken over the weekend - it was miserable! the eggroll seemed to go down o.k., but not the darn chicken. I think it's the worst I have felt while eating - almost didn't make it to the bathroom before PB'ing - and I was in the mall. AUGH! I really tried to chew, chew, chew, but perhaps I was eating too fast? I've had issues with chicken before, so maybe that was my problem.

How do you feel after your 2nd fill? I've had 1cc in my 4cc and want MORE - I can't tell much difference.

Kim

I am really in a rut as far as getting myself in gear to exercise - I had hoped with 30# gone I would feel more like it, but no such luck. I teach 4th grade and am on my feet all day and am just TIRED when I get home. Any good motivational advice (other than get off my butt) :help:

I am really in a rut as far as getting myself in gear to exercise - I had hoped with 30# gone I would feel more like it, but no such luck. I teach 4th grade and am on my feet all day and am just TIRED when I get home. Any good motivational advice (other than get off my butt) :help:

I just do it, regardless of how I feel. I come home and change into exercise attire and grab a bottle of Water and hit the exercise bike mainly (or treadmill) and try to do 40 to 45 minutes, then some handweights, situps, squats, etc. Whatever I can fit in while I watch a show on DVD. Then I take a bubble bath and go downstairs and eat dinner. Then, I can relax and watch TV, go online and see what everyone is doing, etc. etc. It's just a matter of doing it!

Do you have a pedometer? You may be surprised at how much (or how little) you're walking per day. They're relatively inexpensive. It keeps a check on how many steps you do. Typically you're meant to walk 10,000 steps per day and I've often found it motivating enough to get me moving to clock up the steps required.