Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am booked for a gastric sleeve in December. VERY NERVOUS and need a friend

Can anyone tell me when, where they had their sleeve. I am so nervous about surgery. I am going to have to fly to Ontario for this and I don't know if I should take someone with me or go alone. What did you feel like pre op, post op and after several days, weeks, months. TIA for any advice! Hugs!

just me, but i wouldn't want to go alone. other people have gone alone and done fine. i think it has to be what you are comfortable with.

I agree, you need a support system especially in those first couple of days before and after to help keep you sane. My husband has been my rock and with me every step of the way. I think he even had asymtematic surgery himself as he felt my pain himself and we both came home from the hospital tired sore and ready to rest last weekend.

nervous about surgery. fly to Ontario - should I take someone with me or go alone. What did you feel like pre op, post op and after several days, weeks, months.

@@Flaxseed

different emotions (nerves, excitement, being terrified et al) are all common prerequisites to WLS ;)

i would bring friend/family to Ontario for support

people all react to surgery differently

hopefully you will have an uneventful, successful surgery :)

some people return to work after a weekend :o

others take a week, two weeks, month, etc etc

i've heard people play hopscotch the next day!! :D

common, normal side effects PO - gas, very tired, little weak/lack of energy :mellow:

you might read some "horror" stories here from people that had problems pre-op or post op

these stories might stick out in your mind :mellow:

people remember the bad :(

remember the fact that 99% of people have no major problems :)

thats what you should be thinking about

as far as support..............who are we??? :)

chopped liver!! :lol: :D

everyone is here for you :)

good luck with WLS :)

speedy recovery :)

kathy

Edited by proudgrammy

I agree, all those emotions are there. I was sleeved 10/9 & I was pleased to have the support of my husband & 2 adult daughters. Things went as expected, but I was nervous as this was my 1st surgery ever & since I work in healthcare, I am familiar with all the things that could go wrong, BUT none of them did & the statistics really point toward the positive. It was helpful to have the emotional support & I was so amazed how supportive, helpful and positive my 22yo & 19 yo daughters were. The hardest time for me so far was the 1st 24 hrs post-op- physically.

bodyweight.png?ts=1415116844

Edited by SimplySue

If I were you I would definitely take a friend or family member. Travel in itself can be draining.. luggage, airport, taxi, etc... let alone after major surgery. Although I did not have significant pain, I was very nauseated and overall weak for several days. I am exactly two weeks post op today and feel good now in the mornings, but still get tired by mid afternoon. Your fears are valid, however you are in the right spot for support. We have all been where you are now, and are a few steps ahead of you. Although I don't want you to be "afraid" of the upcoming surgery, it is a significant procedure and I don't want you to underestimate the need for physical and mental support right after, it does take a toll on your body for a bit. But for me... it is certainly worth it. Good luck to you :)

Blessings.

You made a very wise decision when choosing to be sleeved. It's normal to be nervous but I'm sure things will work out great!

You've already received lots of great advice on the other issues so I won't chime in.

Start getting excited about the great changes coming soon. I had surgery last December and the journey has been awesome for me -- one of the most exciting periods of my life!

So all of you people who have already been sleeved I would love to hear a lot more about what it was like immediatly post op for you and then 21 days post op and 3 months post op? I love to hear everyones story because I know some of each of your stories will become my new truth. I have the surgery on Dec. 8 and have to drink the shakes for 2 weeks pre-op how was the experience for all of you friends? What did you feel like when you woke up fresh out of the OR? Thank you for all input to my pre-op and post op experiences. Hugs!!1

My 2 weeks pre op diet were so far so good.. but sometimes I felt the hunger.. I was sleeved on nov the 7th and Im ok doing my liquid diet.. my doctor told me to take everything regular no sugar free for the first week.. then will be another 2 weeks in full liquid diet the same just adding the shakes and now all sugar free... I had no problems with gas.. my big problem is the pain in my big incision .. omg its painful but this is just me.. good luck!!

I just has the sleeve done last Thursday, the 6th. My first 24 hours, when I was hooked up to the pain pump, I was fine. I got up and walked with no issue. I was very groggy. However, the second day things started going downhill. I had a severe Migraine (not uncommon for me) and the surgeon told me I could take my imitrex as long as I crushed it. WORST IDEA EVER. Shortly after I took it they had to take out my IV because it was leaking into my hand and my hand was huge. They decided to just leave it out since it was discharge day. I proceeded to get deathly ill, laying in the fetal position on the bed with extreme pain and nausea. The nurse said since my IV had been removed there was nothing they could do. I finally just begged to get home and was that sick for the next 24 hours. I was dry heaving every few minutes the whole night (nothing in my stomach to throw up) and horrible cramping in my chest. I told my husband several times that i wanted to die (a bit dramatic, huh??) I should mention that in my surgery I also had a hiatal hernia repair, so maybe that made things worse for me?? Anyway, things finally started looking up on the 3rd day and I've been gradually improving. I actually returned to work today (day 7) and did pretty well. I'm sticking to the liquid diet and have lost 15 pounds so far. Overall, of course I am glad I had the surgery and the few hours of misery were totally worth it. :)

Good luck in December!! No pain, no gain, right?

I agree, all those emotions are there. I was sleeved 10/9 & I was pleased to have the support of my husband & 2 adult daughters. Things went as expected, but I was nervous as this was my 1st surgery ever & since I work in healthcare, I am familiar with all the things that could go wrong, BUT none of them did & the statistics really point toward the positive. It was helpful to have the emotional support & I was so amazed how supportive, helpful and positive my 22yo & 19 yo daughters were. The hardest time for me so far was the 1st 24 hrs post-op- physically.

bodyweight.png?ts=1415116844

simplySue- Hi! I am starting this WLS journey but surgery isn't until Feb. 2015. Anyhow where did you find the "body weight ticker" LOVE IT!!

Congrats to you!

The first week of post op would have been tough without my wife helping me out. The air in my stomach was the worst part. Make sure you do your best to get your shakes in and follow your docs steps. I can tell you it's one of the best decisions I have ever made. I had my surgery may of 2014 and was 309 pre op. It's been almost 6 months and I'm down to 190. I have had great results but that came with eating right, exercising daily, eating good Protein, and all the other stuff recommended. Stay motivated and enjoy the journey. Great things are soon to come!