Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Asking all you post sleevers: What do you wish you had known or done before surgery?

Measure all over and keep a chart! You're in for the most wonderful time of your life!

I wish....

• I measured before starting pre-op diet. I was sleeved 12/10/13 and didn't record my measurements until April.
  • I had started working out sooner. Happily, I've been kicking serious butt for months, but it's hard not to long for where I could be at this point.
  • I had known that on a very basic level, the sleeve just allows you to crash diet without feeling much hunger and filling up quickly. You crash diet, and you feel those consequences. Bouts of weakness and dizziness. The Hair loss. Possibly needing your gallbladder removed on an emergency basis. There are a bunch of physiological changes too that separate it from a regular crash diet, but still.
  • I knew how real the "window of opportunity" is. Lose as much as you can as fast as you can, because hunger can return with a vengeance and losing gets much harder.
  • I would have a sleeve of steal and I would need a will of steal. I had expected the sleeve to force behavioral changes on me through negative reinforcement and conditioning, but that hasn't really been the case. I have not thrown up once. I have not been nauseous once. I haven't and will not have bread, Pasta or rice, but I've tolerated everything so far (eating too fast is painful though). Happily again, the decision to get the sleeve was a commitment to my health across the board, and I've overhauled my lifestyle and choices completely. I didn't know how big of a role choices would be in my success. I thought the sleeve would largely take bad choices off the table. Not the case.
  • I knew that obesity is an incurable and chronic disease. I'm 8lbs from my goal, and I can't express how badly my body wants to pack back on the weight and how hard I'm having to work to get these last few off.. Fat cells don't go away. They shrink. They lie in wait, ready to plump back up and store store store. My body's "set point" is 289lbs, my highest ever weight. That's its default. In order not to get back to that, I will forever have to actively treat my disease.

Edited by Ava324

I wish I had known how sensitive my sleeve was going to be post-op.

I can't take Vitamins or medications without food now, or I am really nauseous and end up dry heaving for a good 10-30 minutes.

So everytime I take medicine I crush them or split them in half and add to my yogurt or applesauce.

I also wish I knew how I would feel post-op, but that we can't experience before hand.

Going out to eat is a chore. I went with my sister to Red Robin and got Soup and barely ate a few spoonfuls.

I wish I'd known I would be so tired in the weeks afterwards. I'm supposed to be working from home. Had I known, I would have taken the time off.

Think of 1001 ways to dress up Protein shakes - adding PB2 and ice to a chocolate shake and blending is a nice treat. unjury mixes are good too.

Just be patient with yourself.

They say you must focus on getting in all your required Water and Protein. That is very hard to do early on after surgery, but I did meet those requirements. What I failed to focus on was making sure I had my daily doses of Benifiber so that I stayed regular. I missed that somewhere in my instructions ????. So after stronger doses of laxatives I ended up severely dehydrated and had to go to the ER for IV. Now I make sure I get in my water.... My protein..... And YES... My Benifiber!

This was a fantastic question! I've read a lot but have not heard about the emotional aspect, helps me by giving me something to prepare for. My surgery date is Nov 3.

I could have sworn that I saw someone mention apps that were helpful in reminding them to get their Fluid intake. I've looked at MyFitnessPal but haven't found that feature, do you guys have suggestions?

I'm on the 22nd,too!! 5 days to go!

This was a fantastic question! I've read a lot but have not heard about the emotional aspect, helps me by giving me something to prepare for. My surgery date is Nov 3.

I could have sworn that I saw someone mention apps that were helpful in reminding them to get their Fluid intake. I've looked at MyFitnessPal but haven't found that feature, do you guys have suggestions?

I have 2 apps on my phone to see if they will help post op. One is bariatric timer and the second is baritastic. I am still pre op but I am starting to look through the apps and see what is available. Try searching the App Store for bariatric surgery, gastric bypass, and any other terms you can think of. New apps come out all the time and you might find a gem!

I wish I had the surgery years ago. I have battled with my weight for 10+ years. I am 3 weeks post op and have lost 24 pounds. I finally am started to feel like myself again, it is not only the weight loss, but the hope I have to use this great tool and be healthy again. I do not regret the surgery. Follow your nutritional plan and your doctor's advise and you will do great! Good luck!

there is an alert option on the main menu. I have mine set for my 6 meal times, but you can set it for anything. I also use my alarm on my phone . So now my phone goes off all day. Chose a calming alert sound for the phone alarm. I'm 5 weeks out and thus has been very helpful for me. My job is crazy and I'm driving all over so my alerts/ alarms help keep me in track. Find what works for your daily schedule and stay with it???? good luck!

That the foods I used to be able to eat are not longer allowed in my new tummy. Believe me, not by choice. In the beginning I had a lot of guest re-appearances.

Also, a few teaspoons of anything makes me feel like a ate an entire holiday meal. I never thought that would happen. :)

can't wait for that!

They say you must focus on getting in all your required Water and Protein. That is very hard to do early on after surgery, but I did meet those requirements. What I failed to focus on was making sure I had my daily doses of Benifiber so that I stayed regular. I missed that somewhere in my instructions ????. So after stronger doses of laxatives I ended up severely dehydrated and had to go to the ER for IV. Now I make sure I get in my water.... My protein..... And YES... My Benifiber!

how much benefiber? In the beginning