Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Asking all you post sleevers: What do you wish you had known or done before surgery?

I wish I had addressed my emotional issues prior to surgery. It was really hard to address the emotional and addiction issues while recovering from surgery. I should have addressed the how's and why's I got to 256 pounds.

For you all that state they wished they had addressed the emotional issues before surgery. Did you have to have a psychological eval before surgery and did they address this during it?

Thanks!

That if your prone to gout chances you most likely will trigger a strong gout attack following surgery and would of been prepared with the right medication. Would of saved a lot of pain

It is tough at first, but it keeps getting better and better.

Foods get easier to take in. Water gets easier to drink (was such a struggle, could only sip water for the first couple months)

I'm now 5 months out, 331 pounds in March, 309 in June on the day of surgery, 220 pounds today. Aiming to get below 200, 6 foot tall, large frame body.

That if your prone to gout chances you most likely will trigger a strong gout attack following surgery and would of been prepared with the right medication. Would of saved a lot of pain

this is sooo true . I only had a tiny gout attack 1 time. and it came back with a vengeance when I had the surgery !

@@Sydney Little Merlette,

Yep, I actually had and passed three...my original surgeon, local doc for follow ups and actual surgeon.

Here are some things I realized post surgery...I was a sneaky eater. By this I mean, I would look forward to being in the house alone and eating. I didn't recognize this behavior prior to surgery and there was nothing in the psych evals that touched on this. I would eat and graze while my husband and son were at baseball practice, then eat dinner when they got home. I think I thought of it or rationalized it as "snacking" - it wasn't, I now know it was "escaping". I would pick up something at a drive thru, pull the car over and eat it, then hide the evidence. (I'm actually tearing up while writing this because it brings back memories and pain.)

I never really explored the how or why I got to 256 pounds - I should have. But, you know what? I made it thru - I just think it may have been easier to identify this prior to having the surgery. I think pre-surgery counseling would have helped.

Even now, when I'm at the grocery store by myself, I will catch myself eying the candy or a bag of chips and those old impulses appear. I can now identify it and stop it, but they are still there sometimes.

I hope this helps.

@@Sydney Little Merlette,

Yep, I actually had and passed three...my original surgeon, local doc for follow ups and actual surgeon.

Here are some things I realized post surgery...I was a sneaky eater. By this I mean, I would look forward to being in the house alone and eating. I didn't recognize this behavior prior to surgery and there was nothing in the psych evals that touched on this. I would eat and graze while my husband and son were at baseball practice, then eat dinner when they got home. I think I thought of it or rationalized it as "snacking" - it wasn't, I now know it was "escaping". I would pick up something at a drive thru, pull the car over and eat it, then hide the evidence. (I'm actually tearing up while writing this because it brings back memories and pain.)

I never really explored the how or why I got to 256 pounds - I should have. But, you know what? I made it thru - I just think it may have been easier to identify this prior to having the surgery. I think pre-surgery counseling would have helped.

Even now, when I'm at the grocery store by myself, I will catch myself eying the candy or a bag of chips and those old impulses appear. I can now identify it and stop it, but they are still there sometimes.

I hope this helps.

It never fails to amaze me how much people on this site are willing to share, even when it's painful. Thank you.

Summer

Thanks so much to all who replied! I was not going to take my measurements but now I will. I thought about buying up Protein shakes when I could find them on sale, but that idea is also out the window. I don't have a surgery date yet but am planing for December. I am trying to do some of the emotional work now and getting myself psyched up.

Even though I am still jumping through hoops, I consider myself pre-op. I am trying to do the things that will get me in shape to have an easy recovery. (i.e., workout, cutting out sugary food) I am so happy to be on this journey that I want to do everything in my power to make sure I am successful. Thanks again for all the info!

*Pics n measure monthly , they say sometimes u won't loose a lot but will loose inches .

*Get your house in order, first month I was very very tired n other medical issues came up so absolutely nothing extra got done.

*chew slowly, don't drink n eat together, follow all doctors directions

*i was very generous in hospital to myself with pain meds (pump) and really never had much pain, and I am horrible with pain aka- a wimp! I wasn't looking to win any "tough guy" awards. Listen to ur body n do what feels right for you.

*Eat slow, measure everything in the beginning that you put in your mouth n listen to ur stomach. You shouldn't need to ever dump if you do this (throw up) I haven't . I stop before I ever get to that point and walk around.

* I use My Fitness Pal to track my daily intake n make sure I am on track with Protein, Water Vitamins etc . Everyone has their own method, find what works for you n stick with it.

* Enjoy the journey and good luck????

If I had to pick just one thing I wish I could have known........it would have to be.........how good I'm gonna look 45 pounds thinner! Lol I'm 5 weeks post op and have lost 45 pounds. I'm feeling WONDERFUL. Your gonna be fine. Just listen to your new pouch. It will tell you what it likes or doesn't like.

@@brendanolin34 wow! You are doing really well at 5 weeks! N n

Don't be nervous (easy to say huh) I had my sleeve in April and have lost 90 lbs and am about 10-15 lbs from my goal. My husband was just sleeved on the 6th of October so a little over a week ago. It was seriously the easiest surgery either one of us has ever had. I walked a mile 2 days after surgery and haven't stopped since. The only thing that is a huge adjustment mentally. You will mentally still crave foods, but when I was able to try them I no longer like them (like diet coke and cake ;) ) It is a little hard getting all your liquids in after surgery. It's pretty easy to get the Protein in by adding unflavored Protein like powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury into all the liquids you eat. I still ad it to my greek yogurt in the morning. My husband on the other hand is able to already drink Water normally and is still hungry with his liquids. He has already lost 30 lbs since he started the Clear Liquids 2 weeks before surgery. Just remember you will be able to taste those foods you love eventually, but you should only have a couple bites or on a special occasion. Good luck to you.

Some things I wish I'd known before surgery:

-Like some others have said, I wish I had taken measurements prior to the start of my pre-op diet (I did start post surgery, but now wish I knew what I really was at my biggest)

-I wish I hadn't stocked up on Protein powder and sugar free popsicles before surgery, because the Protein I liked before surgery tasted too sweet after, and I never had trouble drinking Water, so didn't need the popsicles.

-I wish I had known to ask for liquid pain medication from my surgeon upon discharge, and that I'd found more liquid/chewable Vitamin options before surgery. It took me a good three weeks before I could really swallow pills.

Some things I'm glad I did before surgery:

-I'm glad I found a strength training program that I liked, and did it consistently before surgery. I've had almost no loose skin (so far) and credit my muscle mass for most of that.

-I'm glad I started taking a Biotin supplement a couple of months pre-op, because over all, my hair loss has been minimal.

-I'm glad I got on Bariatric Pal, and read all of the advice that everyone on here had to give before I went into surgery. It really helped me feel as prepared as possible going into it!

I wish I had practiced eating slowly and taking small drinks before surgery because when you do it after it is unpleasant. NEVER drink too soon after you eat because that too is not fun. Don't buy Vitamins or supplements before you know what your doctor is going to want you to take post op. Know that stalls are very upsetting because you feel you should be losing weight because your intake is so small but it does happen and you can't do anything but wait it out. And do keep up with BP because you find people going through the same things as you and the support makes you feel "normal"

I am also have my surgery on the 22nd. Feeling nervous as well and excited. I have been on a liquid diet for the past 10days. I do not think anything can prepare us until we go thru the process ourselves. Best of Luck to you.

I'm having my sleeve done on the 22nd of this month. What would you tell me is important for me to know or things you have learned post surgery? Feeling a little overwhelmed! Thanks!