Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Change?

it is not restricting anyone from participating in the discussions. it is mearly allowing those who do not wish to look at thread titles, or accidentally stumble into a discussion they do not want to read, that have no bearing on the main reason most people are here.
And again, members already have that ability.

I personally think that all off topic sections should be removed from the new posts and top 5. that is my personal opinion, because they have nothing to do with the main focus of this site, and what the advertisers are advertising here for.

What about the off topic posts in the General Lap Band Discussion forum (and other support forums)? Do those threads get to stay, just because they were posted to the wrong forum? Or would there be topic police to root them out and move them to their proper place?

I think it is indeed flawed thinking. Any attempt to "offend no one" just results in a dumbing-down of content. I see this in the media all the time, and it is, in fact, the most likely thing to offend me. Haven't you ever heard the phrase "insulting one's intelligence"?

again, i understnad your point, but you are not answering my question. in business things are different. and this site is becoming a business now that it is taking in money. In the business of web advertising, the goal is to attract as many people as possible to the site in order to raise the membership totals so that you can charge more for advertisements. To attract more you must be aware of the things that might drive away some of your membership base, be it current or future members, and correct those issues. this has nothing to do with dumbing things down or insulting anyone's intelligence. those are personal issues that people may have as a result of these possible actions, but from a business point of view (bottom line dollars) making a site more neutral to all will bring in more members and will in turn bring in more advertising dollars. how is that flawed?

To attract more you must be aware of the things that might drive away some of your membership base, be it current or future members, and correct those issues. this has nothing to do with dumbing things down or insulting anyone's intelligence. those are personal issues that people may have as a result of these possible actions, but from a business point of view (bottom line dollars) making a site more neutral to all will bring in more members and will in turn bring in more advertising dollars. how is that flawed?

I don't agree that it's been proven that more people are driven away by a less-neutral site then are drawn in by the variety of posts.

What about the off topic posts in the General Lap Band Discussion forum (and other support forums)? Do those threads get to stay, just because they were posted to the wrong forum? Or would there be topic police to root them out and move them to their proper place?

For this issue, which I have dealt with on other boards, Alex must tell his mods that all sections of the site must be monitored, and threads must be moved to the correct forum. this is simply a business management issue.

Neal, try and understand that not everyone agrees that it "helps" people to "protect" them from having open access to the full menu of ideas and options.

Trust me, I understand, Mark, that there are those who don't agree. Thats why I hadn't commented on this thread in a while, but since it was brought back up and I am reading more posts, the theme I see is that a lot (not all) of those opposed, do so becuase they feel it would be an inconvenience to them and why change just becuase it offends a few - the whole "love it or leave it" theme brought up earlier. I am ok with the owner and/or the vocal minority making this board the way they want. No skin off my back. I will still visit. I realize unless I create my own board, I have no say so, but I have to be honest about it to by saying that the lack of concentration on Band support disappoints me. Those are my feelings and understand they are not yours or anyone else's.

I don't agree that it's been proven that more people are driven away by a less-neutral site then are drawn in by the variety of posts.

Its common sense in business. if your business is neutral, accepting all customers from all markets, your bottom line is larger. when you begin to focus in on certain things with actions, you eliminate specific market groups.

since there is not censoring of the actual sections, you really won't be losing those who are interested in hot topic debates or off topic threads. but you open the door to more members you grow your membership ranks.

As for people that are turned off by this site. For respect reasons i will not mention the name of the site, but the other band board I am a mod on is FULL of people that do not care for the way the rants and raves section has totally changed lbt. I do not have an exact number, but it is 100's of people who were either once members of here and have left, or who never bothered to sign up. I am not making assumptions on this. I hear about it CONSTANTLY. Its one of the reasons i came back here. To check out what they were all complaining about.

The owner of that "other site" has posted a request here that no comparisons be drawn between it and LBT.

I realize unless I create my own board, I have no say so, but I have to be honest about it to by saying that the lack of concentration on Band support disappoints me.
Neal, the RnR and Talk Lounge forums have a grand total of around 70,000 posts in them, and only about 3,000 threads. There are more than 153,000 posts in over 11,000 threads in General Lap-Band Discussion alone. Add in the other 19 or so band-only forums, and you can see that there is no "lack of concentration on band support."

I am not comparing the two, i am simply pointing out the source of my information. no comparison was made. that would be This site is this way, and that other site is the other way.

Also, I belong to 4 different lapband sites, and I have heard this from members on the other 3 sites. not just one site.

Neal, the RnR and Talk Lounge forums have a grand total of around 70,000 posts in them, and only about 3,000 threads. There are more than 153,000 posts in over 11,000 threads in General Lap-Band Discussion alone. Add in the other 19 or so band-only forums, and you can see that there is no "lack of concentration on band support."

I guess our definitions are different, and thats fine :)

Quote:

it is not restricting anyone from participating in the discussions. it is mearly allowing those who do not wish to look at thread titles, or accidentally stumble into a discussion they do not want to read, that have no bearing on the main reason most people are here.

laurend:

And again, members already have that ability.

Please forgive me if this has been addressed (because I haven't had time to read all posts), but how on earth is that done? I've tried marking the entire forum as "read," but it only disappears from New Posts the first time I go to New Posts. If I hit New Posts again 5 minutes later, the RnR posts are back and I have go back to Home and mark the forum as "read" again. If this is the only way to do it, it clearly isn't a useful function.

lauren has posted a way that you can place an entire section on ignore basically. lauren, would you care to post that again? It has been lost in all the pages here i fear.

Here ya go, enterprise.

For those that don't know how to remove an entire forum from the "New Posts" page, here's how:

Click on "User CP" at the top of the page. Click on the "Edit Options" link at the left of the page. Go down to "Miscellaneous Options" at the bottom of the page. At the bottom of that section is an option called "Exclude Forums from 'Get New Posts'". It displays all the forums on the board. Click on the forums that you don't want displayed. Click "Save Changes." There, you've successfully excluded your forum(s) of choice from your "New Posts" page.