Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Change?

it is not restricting anyone from participating in the discussions. it is mearly allowing those who do not wish to look at thread titles, or accidentally stumble into a discussion they do not want to read, that have no bearing on the main reason most people are here.

No, it would be hiding the fact that LBT has a lively, edgy off-topic section with active threads.

How can you possibly know what people who say nothing do or do not wish to look at? If you are hearing their voices elsewhere, all that means is they have found other sites that fit them better. I'm certainly not comfortable making presumptions about the vast number of eyes that hit this site and what conclusions their owners might be drawing. How can you be?

Funny, your business model makes perfect sense for a certain kind of business. YOUR business. If Alex feels his needs adjusting, he'll do it.

I guess my question is how exactly this hurts to make things more neutral. and I am not using my own business model for my business example. I am using every successful business's model. make yourself more neutral, you draw more customers and you make more money. pigeon hole yourself and you cut out entire markets. it is a simple business practice.

Nothing is being hidden when it is removed from the new post list or the top 5. it is still displayed on the front page of lbt. nothing is being closed off or shut away.

I guess my question is how exactly this hurts to make things more neutral. and I am not using my own business model for my business example. I am using every successful business's model. make yourself more neutral, you draw more customers and you make more money. pigeon hole yourself and you cut out entire markets. it is a simple business practice.

Nothing is being hidden when it is removed from the new post list or the top 5. it is still displayed on the front page of lbt. nothing is being closed off or shut away.

Personally, I love this place because it isn't neutral. There are so many places out there that just shut you down if you want to discuss anything remotely off-topic, places with lots and lots of rules about what can or can't be posted and about how everything has to be posted. I am so afraid that if this change happens, there will be a slippery slope of change, and LBT will eventually turn into OH. That would be a shame, IMO.

well that is a discussion all of its own. this discussion, or at least my point, has to do with the advertisements and how to draw in the higher prices for said advertisements by increasing member numbers by either drawing in more people, or not pushing them away.

but the advertisments are the beginning to what you fear lauren. again, its all up to Alex. So we must wait and see where all of this new change leads.

but the advertisments are the beginning to what you fear lauren. again, its all up to Alex. So we must wait and see where all of this new change leads.

What exactly are you gals worried about ?

I've footed the expenses of LBT for quite a few years now and would lover to add many many useful features. All of this costs $. Getting advertisers to foot the bill seems to me like the best method possible. It's either that or start charging a small membership fee which I will never do if it's up to me.

I've footed the expenses of LBT for quite a few years now and would lover to add many many useful features. All of this costs $. Getting advertisers to foot the bill seems to me like the best method possible. It's either that or start charging a small membership fee which I will never do if it's up to me.
How about adding a feature where people can donate to help with costs? I'd personally rather do that than have large ads all over the site.

How about adding a feature where people can donate to help with costs? I'd personally rather do that than have large ads all over the site.

I think ads are good for the site. Do you want to sensor me or limit my ability to view the ads?

What exactly are you gals worried about ?

Alex, I believe that I am deeply in love with you and I regret that I already have a mate. You are a wonderful man.:) I will go along with almost anything you suggest.:rolleyes You just have to name it, baby.:)

I totally understand the need for them, and my suggestions are more towards how to make the ads bring in more money so that you can get paid for the work you have done on the site. Like I have stated before, this board is owned by you, and you make the decisions on it. my suggestions are stemmed from the complaints brought up by other members, and newbies, and I took it a step further to discuss how this will effect your bottom line ultimately with the advertisers if the complaintants requests are heeded.

I think ads are good for the site. Do you want to sensor me or limit my ability to view the ads?
I think it would be best for all people interested in the surgery to not be biased or disturbed by lots of ads for jumbo-capacity toilets, BO-reducing tablets, and plastic surgery ads. It's for their own good. It's protection. Don't want to drive the poor little things away, now do we? Nothing's preventing you going and looking at those sites. It would just be an added feature to prevent newbies from being disillusioned.

Really, I just hate the way the ads look. I think they take advantage of the poor body image of fat people. Heck, just look at the ones over on OH. Plus, the ads increase the loading time for that site. Even with the ones we have here right now, the site takes forever to load sometimes.

hahahahaha lauren...you realize you just made my argument for the thread titles? hehehehe its something you do not want to see, and are forced to see because it is there, so you want it gone. plus you are afraid of how it might effect the newbs. :)

I think it would be best for all people interested in the surgery to not be biased or disturbed by lots of ads for jumbo-capacity toilets, BO-reducing tablets, and plastic surgery ads. It's for their own good. It's protection. Don't want to drive the poor little things away, now do we? Nothing's preventing you going and looking at those sites. It would just be an added feature to prevent newbies from being disillusioned.

Really, I just hate the way the ads look. I think they take advantage of the poor body image of fat people. Heck, just look at the ones over on OH. Plus, the ads increase the loading time for that site. Even with the ones we have here right now, the site takes forever to load sometimes.

I understand, I was being a bit of a smartass I know, but it was to make the point that you argument is not much different that mine, just about a different topic. In your words, people are adults here and they can make the adult descision to beleive the ads if they want. I have every bit of confidence that the owners of this board will use due diligence to make sure that only reputable advertisers get on her.

I understand, I was being a bit of a smartass I know, but it was to make the point that you argument is not much different that mine, just about a different topic. In your words, people are adults here and they can make the adult descision to beleive the ads if they want. I have every bit of confidence that the owners of this board will use due diligence to make sure that only reputable advertisers get on her.
That's true, but that's not my reason for disliking the ads. While I do think they are misleading, the main reason I object to them is that I think they look horrible and they keep the site from loading quickly. What people choose to believe or disbelieve is up to them. They're adults.

I just think that we should be able to give back to Alex, since he created this site and takes care of it. He's created this great place of support, and he deserves OUR support because of it. So if my donation means one or two fewer ads on this site, I'd be happy to donate.

even though he has the ads, i am sure that every little bit counts. if you offer it to him i bet he would take a donation towards the running of the site.

That's true, but that's not my reason for disliking the ads. While I do think they are misleading, the main reason I object to them is that I think they look horrible and they keep the site from loading quickly. What people choose to believe or disbelieve is up to them. They're adults.

I just think that we should be able to give back to Alex, since he created this site and takes care of it. He's created this great place of support, and he deserves OUR support because of it. So if my donation means one or two fewer ads on this site, I'd be happy to donate.

We can do something about the way the ads look. PM me to discuss this further. I'm open to any suggestions on ad layout etc.

I'd rather not have members send money to support the site.