Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Change?

Would it be possible for off topic threads to not be shown in the New Posts section at the top. I belong to anther board with an identical format and it was decided off topic threads would not shown there. I have read several posts and I did this at one point as well, that when you click on the new post section, you don't really know what forum its in. Its obvious most are comfortable having the Rants and Raves section and have turned this board into a general board instead of a support tool. For the newbies looking for support, I think it would be a great idea for them to see only the on topic things when they check out new posts and if they want to verture further, they can. Imagine the suprise on many newbies logging in and click on new posts only to see topics on abortion, boy love, religion, etc. Just a thought

To participate in a poll, click the link:

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?t=34851

I asked this same question a few months ago Neal.... never really go an answer.

I agree that this board has become more about ranting and raving than it has been a lap-band support board.

Its ashame too, I got so much support here too and still do from some ongoing threads. THe problem is that I got suckered into the R&R section by looking in the New Posts section and not knowing what I was getting into. As heated as some of the threads get, its hard not to form opinions of others and have ill feelings because of some of the things said and that carries over to the other, supportive, threads.

As seeing as recently as this afternoon, a newbie was potentially turned off by the board due to the rants and raves section because the thread title was in the top 5, I too wish that this particular part of the forum was not listed in the top 5.

I think that's a good idea. I like the R&R section, but I think for people looking for information, they shouldn't have to be subjected to the off-topic debates etc.

Neal, you've got my vote, too. I now avoid the R&R section for exactly the reasons you described. And it would be very helpful to NOT have them listed under New Posts.

Just a suggestion, hit or miss.. another forum I belong to, the 'adult topics' like this area, is actually locked to all members until the moderator or whoever the 'upper powers that be', unlock them. It's just an e-mail that says, hey I'm over 18 and want to join this thread. If you aren't joined, you don't see the threads. I think it's extremely effective for new people looking for info (the other forum is a forum revolving around particular info).

The thing is, though, no one is forcing anyone to read or respond to threads. If there is a certain thread that someone doesn't want to read, they don't have to read it. It would be different, IMO, if everyone was forced to read a certain thread every time it was updated.

I wouldn't object if, as part of the new posts thing, the forum that a thread is in was identified. I don't think it is necessary to censor the new posts page, though. People are adults, and they can choose to read or not read a thread on their own.

ousooner, I ay have misread, but when you use the "new posts" feature, it doesn't show for you what forum the posts are in? When I use it, it's right there in the car column, and (to/IMO) the asterisks added to the title, and restating of the title's purpose, make it clear that it's not about the lap-band.

As a user of RNR, what i wouldn't like about this is -- I use "new posts" all the time, and want to see all new posts, including RNR posts. Given a choice, I'd rather not have to make a special trip to the forum to find the messages. I access 98% of what I read via new posts.

So you have to consider both sides of the issue.

And for me, anything someone posts here would never help nor hinder my ability to offer them advice on any other part of the board. I operate a sort of "What happens in RNR stays in RNR" approach. Then again I would very, very rarely take anything here personally, but that's my personality type.

But that's user Wheetsin, not moderator Wheetsin, and doesn't in any way indicate that suggested changes will or will not occur.

I like the RNR posts as much as the support posts, and so I like seeing them on the new posts.

I'm sorry if any newbies are turned off by that, but they are part of the board here.

It figures, I thought that this suggestion would end in an, "do or damned free-speech" arguement.

Yes, its in R&R.

But first and foremost, this is an LBT board.

And I know a lot of people who are upset by the stuff that goes on here and dont want to see it.

AT ALL.

I read what I want to read. I dont read what I dont want to read.

As a lapband board, I dont think that the first 5 threads (and some times that happens) are on NOT LBT related things.

I totally concur with this suggestion. That, or possibly a check mark to 'hide' the threads you prefer not to see.

One bit of information, however, the Ignore function does work these days and finally allows more than one person to be ignored at a time. It's hard not to defend a group of people when they're being so blatantly battered, but ignoring particularly inflammatory posters can allow for less hard feelings. Just my .02

I don't mean this to sound as cold as I think it's going to. And that is that there are lots of support places on the net. Not all of them are going to suit everyone. I love it here. I love that I can have debates, fun threads and get/give support for bandsters all in one place. I've been on other groups that just don't do it for me. So I left and found this place that does.

Note - I am in no way at all suggesting anyone should leave, just that people need to decide what they want to spend their time on.

Yes. and I love here at well and have since the week this board opened. I think it a bit unfair to suggest that anyone leave because their are no longer boundaries (as there once was) about how one faction can tear down another and get by with it.

But, you're right, many have left because of this recently adopted way of running the board.

I totally concur with this suggestion. That, or possibly a check mark to 'hide' the threads you prefer not to see.

One bit of information, however, the Ignore function does work these days and finally allows more than one person to be ignored at a time. It's hard not to defend a group of people when they're being so blatantly battered, but ignoring particularly inflammatory posters can allow for less hard feelings. Just my .02

I would love to have an option to "ignore" an entire thread kinda like you can "ignore" users....