Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Change?

I could say the same about your stance. YOU have decided that YOU don't want to be subjected to seeing even the title of a thread, but YOU don't want to take 5 seconds, once, to go change your settings. Instead, YOU want to remove the option from EVERYONE ELSE, simply because YOU don't like what you're seeing. YOU want EVERYONE ELSE to have to deal with going out of their way every single time THEY want to see a thread in RnR because YOU don't want to see a few titles. Seems more like YOU are the lazy one. YOU would only have to make one trip to your control panel, and make a few clicks. WE would have to go out of our way every single time we visit LBT.

this is not an issue for ME. I am speaking on behalf of the newbs that have been turned away from this site before even finding out about the way to change the settings, and the advertisers who are not going to spend their money with the site because of how the top 5 and new post section is set up.

Again, and this cannot be stressed enough, this is a lap band site. while off topic sections are important to any board, they should remain in the background. a majority of people come here for lap band talk. not off topic talk. if someone comes here and sees that the posts that are more important to people and being discussed more are off topic issues, they will not feel that they are going to get much support here.

I am sure that people are drawn to this site because they can express their opinions openly, and get involved in hot topics. but why does that mean that it has to be displayed with everything else?
I swear, it feels like I am slamming my head into a brick wall. Once again, the off-topic forums don't have to be prominently displayed. Instead, it's left up to the individual members to decide. If they decide they don't want to see it prominently displayed, they don't have to. If they decide that they do want to see it prominently displayed, they can. It's a perk of the site. Lots of options make the site very desirable. You can change all sorts of things. Don't want the chick at the top? Change the option. Want the ads to the right of the page instead of the left? Change the option. Don't want to see RnR or Talk Lounge in your new posts or on the top 5? Change the option.

I am speaking on behalf of the newbs that have been turned away from this site before even finding out about the way to change the settings,
Then all the more reason to require that newbies read and acknowledge that they've read a description of the site, the forums, and the options available to them. Heck, that's what many sites do today. I think even OH has you click a box acknowledging that you know the terms of service.

I am sure that people are drawn to this site because they can express their opinions openly, and get involved in hot topics. but why does that mean that it has to be displayed with everything else? Again, this is not a discussion over the value of having an rants and raves section, but more over the exposure of it, and the pull of the site to those who do not wish to see such discussions. in business, and society, we find that it is better to attract bees with honey. if this site is to start drawing income, which it is being setup to do, wouldn't it be best to draw in as many people as possible, in order to raise the membership count, rather than protect the wants of a few that end up offending many? It just doesn't seem like good business sense to me.

I suppose a case could also be made that some are more active here because of those threads, esp. those who have been banded longer, and have less band-related questions and issues. Which is good for newbies as well, a great resource.

A case could also be made about false advertising of a sort. We are having this disucssion in large part because there are a lot of posts in RNR. That's why threads there show up on New Posts, and in the top 5. Sooner or later, newbies are going to see them most likely. And if such things will drive them away, wouldn't they leave then? With a sour taste about LBT after having been here a while? Just a thought.

Well, it will be interesting to see if the owner of LBT finds this to be true. I think it's a HUGELY open question as to whether the current configuration in any way detracts from the main focus of the site. All we have is our personal opinions, which vary widely.

Very true, and i would love it, if Alex has a moment, to post his opinion on this and what his decision will be.

LBT was the first place i came to find out about the lapband, and i have been a member for a very long time. I left because of the issues that came up during the big feud, but i still have friends on here that i keep in regular contact with. When I first joined the rant and raves section was not here, and the off topic section had mainly fluff posts. I do not think these sections should be removed, but if I came here my first time, and saw the titles of the threads that were being responded to often (albeit by the same small group of people) were mainly from the off topic areas, i would have gone searching for a more on-topic board. and i know many that this has happened to. To leave these threads in the forefront because they are responded to more often by a small group of people gives the new visitors to the site the wrong impression.

Then all the more reason to require that newbies read and acknowledge that they've read a description of the site, the forums, and the options available to them. Heck, that's what many sites do today. I think even OH has you click a box acknowledging that you know the terms of service.

So your telling Alex "When new people come here you need to make them do a bunch of stuff to set up their account so a few people can be happy" that is not good business sense. The needs of a few do not outweigh the needs of many.

I suppose a case could also be made that some are more active here because of those threads, esp. those who have been banded longer, and have less band-related questions and issues. Which is good for newbies as well, a great resource.

A case could also be made about false advertising of a sort. We are having this disucssion in large part because there are a lot of posts in RNR. That's why threads there show up on New Posts, and in the top 5. Sooner or later, newbies are going to see them most likely. And if such things will drive them away, wouldn't they leave then? With a sour taste about LBT after having been here a while? Just a thought.

Lisah, good point! but the rub lies in the fact that when someone comes here, their first impression is the lasting impression. Eventually they will stumble into the rant and raves section, and hopefully (if they find it offensive) they have already fallen in love with the rest of the board and decide to stay out of it. when it is the first thing that a newbie sees and it leaves a sour taste in their mouth, they will go on without evening signing up.

I think that when someone comes to this site, and has yet to sign up, they have no choice in setting things up. If they have not even signed up, and see all of this, they leave and never look back. When you come to this site you are not given a terms of service before being able to read the board. a guest can look at it all, and has no option to make the changes you are speaking of. so that negates your option to have them remove it from their new post and top 5 view.

Lisah, good point! but the rub lies in the fact that when someone comes here, their first impression is the lasting impression. Eventually they will stumble into the rant and raves section, and hopefully (if they find it offensive) they have already fallen in love with the rest of the board and decide to stay out of it. when it is the first thing that a newbie sees and it leaves a sour taste in their mouth, they will go on without evening signing up.

True.

The problem is, neither of us really knows what a majority of newbies thinks. Some will say that they don't like it, and leave, unfortunatly. Some though may decide that is exactly what makes this a good place for them, the mix of Lap-band topics, and other stuff. So, it's hard for me at least to think that one or the other is the approach that will draw in more people. So, for me at least, it's more about what those of us here want. Make sense?

sorry. evening=even.

i hate not being able to edit. :(

Me too! Maybe that's what we should be discussing instead - Bring back the edit!! :faint:

So your telling Alex "When new people come here you need to make them do a bunch of stuff to set up their account so a few people can be happy" that is not good business sense. The needs of a few do not outweigh the needs of many.
So, instead, you are telling Alex, "Everyone on the board should be inconvenienced because a select few either refuse to learn about the options available, or they're too lazy to change them"?

And the "bunch of stuff" isn't a bunch of stuff. It would be a screen with a short description of the site and forums, and a short description of the options available to the new member, and probably would include a disclaimer about the medical advice contained on the site. There would be a little box where they could click "Yes, I've read the disclaimer/description/whatever." And honestly, it's something that probably needs to be done anyway, to prevent litigation from people who think that the medical advice given on LBT is more valid than the advice given by their doctors. After all, people sue like crazy these days.

I think that when someone comes to this site, and has yet to sign up, they have no choice in setting things up. If they have not even signed up, and see all of this, they leave and never look back. When you come to this site you are not given a terms of service before being able to read the board. a guest can look at it all, and has no option to make the changes you are speaking of. so that negates your option to have them remove it from their new post and top 5 view.
Honestly, I think people SHOULD be required to register before they can view. Even if they never post, I think it would be a good idea.

I am all for restricting access to certain areas, though, for the non-registered. Just have the RnR forum locked to non-members, and only let the registered members in the forum.

if you ever look at the bar that tells who is here, you will see that a minority are registered guests. people come here to get information, only a small portion of them interact. to restrict it all would leave thousands out there unable to read information that they are seeking. now that this site is a business the membership total is very important to alex. making it easy and fun to use should be the main focus of the site to draw in more advertising dollars. it should not be the protection of the opinions of a few that do not want to have to click in another page in order to read the rant and raves section and the off topic section.

I've just spent a few minutes looking at the site from the front page, and trying to imagine myself as a newbie. When I click on New Posts the majority of the threads there seem to be the "clubs" of people who were banded in the same month and who come together for support and discussion. To be perfectly honest, that would kind of put me off, because it presents an atmosphere of cliquishness.

On the home page the section titles are clear as day, and of course the banding areas on the top. I think the front page shows any newcomer exactly what LBT is about. The "Top 5" is way down at the bottom, and certainly is NOT the first thing any visitor sees.

What exactly is the problem? :(