Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for 10/13 surgery buddies

I had mine Tuesday and I'm still in the hospital. I am completely fine (no nausea, pain, etc) but the doctor wasn't around today to sign his orders which is why I'm still here. In fact, I have not seen him once since the surgery, which is extremely disappointing. I want to know how everything went!

Anyway, I'm kind of sitting here like "what did I just do to myself?!" But I know that feeling will pass and I'm happy the surgery is over.

Hope everyone else is doing well!!!

I had my surgery on the 13th and was released on the 14th in the afternoon. Going into my surgery i was definitely nervous and downright scared at times. When the nurse was prepping me for surgery i was concerned about the clippers she used to trim my belly hair. Such a trivial thing to be concerned with im sure but i was trying to take in everything as it happened that i found myself focusing on the smallest things. My family members watched as i was carted into the OR, i waved to them and said a silent prayer to myself. The nurse attempted to make some small talk and i happily engaged.

After getting situated on the OR table the anesthesiologist went to work. I remember being asked if i felt anything from the medication flowing from the mask affixed to my face. "No", i replied. They then told me they would give me an injection in my IV. I felt a warm feeling rush down my legs and up my body and that was the last piece i remember. One hour and five minutes later the surgeon visited my family members in the waiting area and reported that everything went as planned and it was a "routine" procedure. My gallbladder looked fine so he left it in and there were no signs of a hernia.

Meanwhile, i was in recovery. Still out from the anesthesia. I came out of it some time later, maybe an hour after being in recovery. I was in and out for about another two hours while in my room. Staff were busy getting me situated and my family had made it in too. Four hours after getting into my room - six hours after surgery - I was up walking. Pain was moderate but the pain medication was doing its job. I felt like i slept like a log that night despite the staff coming in to check on me. My labs in the morning were fine and all blood sugar tests during the night were good. I took a shower the next morning and started on my clear liquid diet. I had significant dry mouth but used Water to help keep it wet.

I was released later that afternoon, one day after surgery. I have been trying to keep up with the fluids and am doing much better today than yesterday. Its a challenge but im getting better at it. I still have very brief bouts of discomfort from gas buildup but it usually goes away in a matter of seconds. Deep breaths also seem to help. Pain at this point is still somewhat moderate if i move or stretch certain ways. I've used a little pain medication and it certainly helps.

Tomorrow will be another step closer to a healthier me! Hope everyone else is doing well!

Edited by VSGPapi

It is definitely tough to get the 64oz. of liquid in. I must add that today was the first day that I woke up and actually felt like drinking Water. I got an early start and kept pace pretty much all day! At this very moment im at about 55oz. for the day. I was able to get my 30 minutes of walking in today - three sessions, ten minutes each. Pain has really subsided in all my incisions aside from the lower right one that is slightly larger. Getting in and out of vehicles is a little tricky but riding without a pillow is no problem at all. Went by hastings to rent a couple of movies.

::sip::sip::sip...56oz

How's everyone doing?

I'm doing really good! I had an issue with nausea when I was in the hospital, but since I've been home, I haven't felt sick at all. I've also started back at the gym walking on the treadmill every night. The first night that I did I was very light headed, so ever since then I've been concentrating on liquids and Protein even more and it has helped big time.

I hope everyone is doing great!

@@TSJackie, impressive! I haven't gotten into a gym yet but ive been thinking about it. I am doing well and have just been focusing on liquids. I have been walking regularly. My first post op appointment was 10-22 and i recorded an 18 pound loss.

I'm not doing much in the gym, just walking, but I feel like I go just a little bit harder and longer there vs. walking in my neighborhood. My physical restrictions get lifted on Monday, so I'm excited to be able to start doing my full workouts again!

Good job on the loss already!! I had my first post op last Monday and everything was good. I was down 17 lbs and was so happy!

@@TSJackie, Thats still good. I think i may visit some gyms next week. Great job on the loss! What kind of restrictions are you still on? My surgeon lifted most of mine during my post op visit, except for heavy lifting. I also plan to return to work n 11-3. That should give me plenty of time to settle into my diet and find some things i really like. Like your new profile pic btw!

Thanks! :)

I love my gym. I go to snap fitness which is open 24 hours. I love being able to go in at night when no one is there :) The only restrictions that I have are no vigorous excercise and lifting over 20 lbs. But that is lifted on Monday, so I should be able to step up my workouts soon! I'm returning to work on 11/3 as well.

Edited by TSJackie

I have been walking and plan to hit the treadmill again tomorrow. I have lifting restrictions until 11/10. I am also going back to work on 11/3

I was also sleeved on the 13-Oct.