Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

disappointed at 1 month

8/28/14 initial dr visit I was 223. Surgery date 9/16/14 I was 215. Today, 10/9/14 I'm at 206.6. Discouraged - I do compare myself to others. Is this just another thing I will fail at - stays on my mind. Praying for better results soon ????

1 month out today and i'm only down 22 pounds. i lost more weight doing the beer and cigarettes diet after my divorce 15 years ago. what the hell?? i am suspecting that i am getting my period since i skipped it last month after surgery....but for as little as i am eating (probably 500 calories)....i can't believe the scale is not going faster. any words of encouragement out there??

is this including, working out

I'm so incredibly discouraged. I am 15 days post op. I lost great...for a week. Now I'm GAINING weight! I don't even understand how that's possible!

I'm so incredibly discouraged. I am 15 days post op. I lost great...for a week. Now I'm GAINING weight! I don't even understand how that's possible!

Do not be discouraged, just stay calm. After surgery your body burns it Glycerin (energy stores) till there are no more (initial weight loss) then it must replenish the stores. After that you will lose weight. Double check your diet and exercise. If your doing what you are suppose to (Protein, Water and exercise) you will lose weight. Don't get discouraged.

It is awesome that you lose 22 pounds in 1 month. I bet you are losing crazy inches though. I hope when I weigh in on the 20th I will be the same. I know we expect to lose super fast with the sleeve but it will take time. You are doing great really.

lost 2 more pounds..so i guess i just need to be more patient!

I did a LOT of research before my surgery and I knew a lot of people that had had it... and I still had really high expectations for weight loss. I lost 30 lbs in THE FIRST THREE MONTHS.

So........22 lbs is doing damn good. Be VERY proud of yourself!

There is no way you're eating enough to gain. It's just your body adjusting. Hang in there and try to keep your weighing to a specific day of the week, so as not to drive yourself crazy!

I hear you too. I totally get it. Today I am two weeks post op and I have lost 10 lbs. "Big whoop" I'm thinking for going through a surgery! It seems disheartening when you look at other's profiles and they have lost like 30 lbs in their first two or three weeks!

I'm hoping it will kick in once I can really exercise hard. Right now it is just the daily walks around the neighborhood because with work, being mom to 4 kids and daily life I'm completely pooped. And I'm sure at 2 weeks I'm still recovering.

Also, like me, it looks like you started out in the 240's and it looks like those in the 300 lb range lose more quickly.

Also, like me, you are eating so little that you can't believe the weight's not just falling off. Exactly what I am thinking!

Keep me posted on your progress and if you find anything that works to kick this fat off! I'm frustrated too!

It's great to have these forums. I sometimes feel like I'm all alone and that I'm the ONE this isn't going to work for. I was sleeved 9/16/14. Hospital weight was 221. My scale this morning showed 205.8. So I guess I'm whining about nothing. Being home and not working allows my mind to go crazy. Retirement might be for some, but sure isn't for me. As soon as my 6 weeks are up - going to look for a "low stress" job. If that exists LOL. Thanks to everyone for all your posts. They've been very encouraging. ❤

only down 22 pounds.

@@limbo6 and all

"God Grant Me Patience, Just Hurry Up About It" :) :)

Kathy

Edited by proudgrammy

Yes exactly, the more you have to lose, the more you lose week by week but also know that EVEN FOR a 300+ lb patient, it slows down until at around 6 months out, you're losing the same amount, week over week, as a person who started out at over 300lbs.

If you think about how long it took you to lose 10, 20 or 30 lbs before, and then you see what you've done in so little time, I hope people would be proud of how far they've already come.

comparison-is-the-thief-of-.jpg

I saw this posted today on Tumblr and I think it's quite true. No matter how much you think you've lost and what a paltry amount you think it is........you still lost it. And it is GONE. It's nothing but down hill from here!

I "only" lost 18 my first month!

You have to remember this is a marathon, not a sprint. The difference between your beer and cigarettes diet and this one is you won't die of cancer with this one. It took you longer to gain 22 pounds than it just took you to lose that same 22 pounds. Relax - the weight is going to come off...

At 11 months I'm "only" down 72 pounds...Have people lost more weight than that? Yes. Do I sometimes feel like I should be at a higher number? Yes. Here's what I know "only" 72 pounds lighter than I was a year ago...

* I would not have lost 6.5 pounds per month in the past year without the surgery; I would have given up on a diet before now.

* I am healthier now than I have been in my adult life.

* I feel better about myself, I'm more self-confident than I've been in decades.

* I am physically strong - I can walk for hours, climb mountains, do 80 minutes of hot yoga, run a mile.

* I am a better wife, mom, daughter, sister, etc. I am more connected to the important things in life.

* I have more mental clarity - makes me a better employee.

All of those things are related to my weight loss, but not attached to a certain number. Those things started happening at "only" 40 pounds lost. If I don't lose another pound, will I consider myself a success? Heck yeah - I have my life back even if I"m "only" down 72 pounds.

Take the 22 pound loss as a success, be happy. Learn to be content. Work your plan and the weight will continue to come off. In another 6 or 7 months you'll look back and wonder "why was I so worried" in the beginning.

I'm officially 2 months post-op today. I was disappointed in my 46lb weight loss after reading stories off people losing 70+ lbs in just two months post surgery. Then I started to encourage myself. I should not feel bad about losing just 46 lbs, because dropping 46lbs in 2 months is effin awesome. Don't discount your journey because you aren't where you thinks you should be. Just stick to the program. It'll come off. Some of us are slow losers. That's not a bad thing.

LOLing at the "targets" I see people setting for the speed of their weight loss.

Just do what you're supposed to do. You'll lose the weight -- at your body's rate.

Control what you can control (what you eat, drink, and how much you exercise).

About the rest (how fast you will lose), fuggedaboudit.