Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mother is on my tail!

My mom is on my tail bc she thinks I'm eating wrong. I followed the list for the first two weeks. I've lost 18 pounds (that's without exercise). I started experimenting with foods to see what my stomach could handle for example I eat a large fried egg in the morning with a little salt and pepper. The other day I tried eating with it a dry small piece of toast. Nothing happened. I felt fine. She said it was too much food. But I added, bread is a lot of air and once I chew it up its a very small amount, what do you think? I'm also eating homemade chicken salad, about two tspns, on a piece of lettuce or on one piece of bread. I'm drinking slim fast so I can help get my Protein. I drink milk, I'm eating the mini baby bell cheese, yogurt. She is just worried about the bread being to much. Any wise advice??

My nutritionist said to think of it as one cup. Half cup (2 oz) Protein (lean meats, cottage cheese, 2 eggs, but only one yolk and she also said to poach it, not fry it because the fried egg can upset your pouch). Then no more than 1/4 cup can be fruit OR carb and the other 1/4 cup veggies. Hope that helps?

But I'm only at 3 weeks. According to my book I should only be eating 2 tablespoons of food at each meal. Was yours different?

You're only three weeks out and your eating solids like eggs, chicken salad and bread.< /strong>

According to my book you shouldn't be eating these foods at this stage.

I think you're ahead of yourself in what you are eating and suggest you go back and reread your book.

Contact your nutritionist and see if you can see them to learn what you should be eating at only three weeks out because it sure isn't what you are doing according to my guide book and nutritionist.

Let us know what is told to you please.

eggs is the first food listed on my 7-11 day list. Plus finely chopped chicken, fats like butter and mayo. Basically any food I can mash with a fork. These are all in my book. Now the bread was the one thing not on there. But it has not made me sick. I can have green Beans, mashed potatoes, melon, strained berries, cooked carrots.

Are you trying to sabaotging yourself? If you are adding all of this at this stage, what will you do at a later stage. In addition to talking with your nutritionist, could should consider talking with a counselor.

How am I sabotaging myself. I'm not eating anything not on my list with the exception of bread. I'm not eating too much, only my 4-6 tablespoons, 5 times a day. And I'm not eating 5 meals a day. I have to force myself to eat 3 times a day.

You said "I started experimenting with foods to see what my stomach could handle for example I eat a large fried egg in the morning with a little salt and pepper."

That sound like you are eating foods not on your list. It also seem in the original post that you are eating larger quantity than the 2-3 tablespoon per meal.

I think the issue other folks are having is that your plan is very different from what most are advised. I have been reading this site for quite a long time and the first few weeks (mine included) are a lot more conservative then yours. Another thing is Slimfast is not considered to have enough Protein. The recommended dose of Protein is higher (at least 25 gr) Premier has 30 grams while Slimfast has only 20. A higher Protein Drink will make you feel fuller and it is needed to for recovery. Just to give you an idea my first week is Protein shake and Water only.

Definitely talk with your nutritionist but I wasn't allowed bread for quite a while. I would put that down for now. I also wasn't allowed chicken, etc. unless I blended it in a blender first. Since bread was not on your list, keep it off your daily food intake for now. You will eventually be able to have some but not much. I agree with what someone else above said, the issue people are having is that our food for the few weeks out was more like yogurt and other smooth foods. Even cottage cheese was a bit lumpy but doable. It's not always about what your stomach can handle, but what is appropriate at this stage.

But I feel bad that your mother is following you around and kind of shaming you. Is she staying with you right now or do you live with her? You might want to have a nice, calm conversation about boundaries and the kind of support you need. Though unfortunately, she is right on this particular issue.

It's all very tough and confusing. The best advice is to talk to your nutritionist and follow what he/she says. Don't try to experiment outside of those guidelines. No bread for you! (that's me trying to be funny--think "no Soup for you!")

By the way, congratulations on the weight you have lost so far!!

Yeah, eggs are on my list, there are a lit of things on my list that are not on others. And my meal portion in 4-6 tablespoons not 2-3. I understand what everyone is trying to say but my guidelines are just way different than everyone else's. I don't know why. I have talked to lots if my surgeons patients and everyone has done great following his plan. I do put my chicken in my ninja before I make the chicken salad. I can live without bread. I do live with my mother and my two teenage boys. My husband left us for the second time back in 2012 so I lost my house. But oddly enough I'm happier now than o have been in 17 years, which is how old my oldest son is...lol thanks for all the advice, I really appreciate it. Haha...The Soup Nazi!!!

I'm glad things are finally going well for you! You are on a great path now and I know you will do well.

One other note about bread: bread will always be one of those things to stay away from or keep to a minimum. However, there is a brand of bread that is not made with any flour or wheat that you might eventually (not yet!) want to try. It's not the best but it's not a bad substitute. I talked with my NUT about it and she agreed that it's not a bad option. It's called Ezekiel bread and you can find it at Whole Foods. Oddly, it's not with the breads! It's in the frozen foods section. It's made with sprouts and other things like that. But, using lettuce for a wrap instead of bread is always a much better option (which I think you said you did?)

Best of luck!

Yeah I've heard of that bread. Well I started walking 15 minutes ago and now the bottom has fell outward I'm soaked. I'm sick of rain!!!