Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HOW DO PEOPLE NOT NOTICE MY WEIGHT LOSS?

I think some people are afraid to say something although I don't know why. I've had a few fall all over me praising my 30 lb loss while others seem not to notice. Oh well! It's for US, not them!

And Ann is right. Some people notice nothing! I know that from my many haircuts and colors.

I can't thank everyone enough for their replies !!!! Everything you all said helped get my logical brain working. I agree with all of you and it helped to hear what you all had to say. I guess deep down inside, I have watched my sisters get praised (like they have just cured cancer) everytime they lose 10-20lbs of the 10-15lbs they needed to lose. I have always been a giant compared to my 4 ft 9, 95 lb mother and 2 sisters who aren't much taller or heavier than that........ It is amazing how the process of weight loss awakens all the emotions and yes, I have finally decided to deal with them to help in my success. I am very happy with what I have done and what I continue to do and everyones honest and kind words has given me that pat on the back I needed and likwise the gentle smack upside the head, that I also needed.

Thank you all again for taking the time to respond, it made a world of difference.

I know it feels good to hear that... I for one, am proud of your loss thus far. soon it will be so much more people will know. it is probable that people have noticed but have not commented.... weight can be a sensitive subject for many. keep it up!!!

I personally have noticed that people, even friends and family, have been afraid to comment. For work folks, I figure they are nervous that they might be wrong or that they "shouldn't" notice. But for friends, some have even said, "maybe I shouldn't comment, but you are looking very thin! How much have you lost?". My Mom who helped me pay for the surgery even is a little shy - maybe she thinks that due to her financial involvement that I will feel pressured. So I always tell her, "Well I have lost XX lbs now" and she is always so happy to hear that it is going well. The only person who really just points it out is my favorite cousin who has had both the band and now gastric by pass - she is so supportive and helpful, and my inspiration! She started at 424, lost down too 300-ish, moved forward to Gastric ByPass (band broke) and now is in the low 200's

Head up darling, YOU know how well you are doing.....

You know you feel better.

its ok...... don't worry.

Don't let other lack of DETAIL hurt your feelings and your amazing efforts.

My brother knows i had the surg

knows i have lost 42 lbs and will REFUSE to acknowledge me , even when someone says "isn't she doing well?" ...silence.

My brother knows i had the surg

knows i have lost 42 lbs and will REFUSE to acknowledge me , even when someone says "isn't she doing well?" ...silence.

is your brother big too? maybe he is jealous? that's not cool...but you keep going and eventually he won't be able to deny it!

sherripark:

those of us with more to loose will probably not get much recognition until it is a triple digit number. i have lost (and gained) 50, 60, 75 pounds in the past and it was rarely ever noticed, while my friend would loose 15 and get oohs and aahs until the cows came home. my husband always noticed but he also sees me naked ;) hang in there and know when someone does say something you can come back with "thank you and i am not done yet!"

I lost 50# before anyone noticed, and then still it was only a couple of people. Then, for whatever reason when I hit 60# lost, everyone started commenting on it. Someone actually commented "Wow, you lost that weight so fast!" To which I replied "No, I haven't. Just nobody noticed it until now." So at some point you will reach that point where everyone starts commenting, and you'll wish they'd just shut up about it!

So at some point you will reach that point where everyone starts commenting, and you'll wish they'd just shut up about it!

Gotta confess, I NEVER get tired of hearing it. :rolleyes:

I started at 308 and had lost 50# before anyone noticed....it was a little, I don't know... lonely there for awhile!

Friends at work have noticed... they knew about the surgery. But don't say much.... what upsets ME is that my husband has only said " Your face is thinner." This from the man who nagged me for YEARS about my weight. I think he is afraid I will leave him! Which is not the case at all! LOL

I am 68 lbs down and people are just starting to notice or mention it.. Some people are weird about saying something because they don't want to offend.

Congrats on the loss!

I lost a bunch of weight but since I lost it all over it took a while for people to notice. I would be thrilled for you loss!

Quote: This from the man who nagged me for YEARS about my weight. I think he is afraid I will leave him! Which is not the case at all! LOL

You know... I think many of our spouses/partners make the, "You're gonna get skinny and leave me" comment. This is a big adjustment for them as well. And frankly, during our weight loss journey, by necessity we tend to be more self-focused. So part of our job is to reassure them that we love them and that's not gonna happen. (Assuming that's true, of course). My wife, who has no reason in the world to feel insecure, has said it in jest. I just keep telling her I love her. And by the way, now that I'm smaller, lighter, and more agile, our romantic life has improved as well! ;) TMI–LOL!!!

Edited by Rogofulm