Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HOW DO PEOPLE NOT NOTICE MY WEIGHT LOSS?

Hey there folks, just wondering with everyone how long it took people to notice you lost weight????? I started at 410 & have lost 70lbs since July 2014. My pants are hanging off me, my face is thinner, I look better etc, etc but no one, not even my own mother has noticed!!! my sister was by yesterday and I felt like I was sitting on the edge the couch waiting for someone to notice !!!! but nothing ! am I this invisible to people? I don't want to see people anymore because I know at the end of the day, I will be disappointed. Anyone else go through this???? when will they start to notice ????? I could really use encouragement from those around me but its not really happening, am I nuts for expecting those around me to notice??? Thoughts?

I'm wondering if these people know that you had surgery? If they don't, then they may be holding back because of past experiences... I know in my family, we rarely talk about weight loss because we've always put it back on and THAT'S depressing!

Try not to let other people's opinions and feelings influence your own on this. You're doing FANTASTIC!!! And, just think about how shocked they will be when you continue to lose... sooner or later they will HAVE to notice and comment!

I think some people are just clueless. And it's not personal with us -- they just don't notice things.

Also, if you've lost and gained weight a lot in the past (as I have), I think people get "over" commenting when you've lost weight. They just figure we'll regain it like we have in the past. In my case, I can understand that.

But I certainly notice your 70 pound weight loss and am delighted to acknowledge it here. That sincerely is a lot of weight to lose this summer/fall. It's downright amazing, actually. Congratulations! :)

Well do all these people know you had the surgery, including your mother? While 70 pounds is alot, and I do congratulate you, it may also depend on where the weigh had come off and also, if you are still wearing the same clothes. Either way, you should be encouraged by your own progress. I know we all want to be validated, but don't this to yourself. Please be pleased and happy for you, that you have lost 70pounds!

@@sherripark Please understand I'm not trying to sound rude, but stop worrying about what others think and notice. You notice and that's GREAT, keep on going. I'll tell you, one day you'll wake up, and suddenly everyone will notice and you'll be thinking "what the hell". Just keep going, your a larger gal, it might take a while before it's that noticable to others. It'll come, hang in there (and big congrats on the 70 pounds).

If it makes you feel better not one person said a thing about my weight loss until I was at amost 65 pounds down. Sometimes people aren't sure if you've lost weight and they don't want to offend you, other times people who see you regularly really don't notice since it is such a gradual change, and sometimes people like me are just completely oblivious to weight loss in others until one day you look at them and you're like, holy wow, they lost weight! Of course they probably lost 50+ pounds before I noticed. Also, a friend of mine commented that when I had lost a lot of weight before she didn't want to say anything because she wasn't sure if I was sick and didn't want to upset me. People have a lot of reasons for not commenting on weight loss and 99% of those reasons are nothing that would be offensive to you.

Keep up the good work though- you're doing awesome!

Yeah it takes a while... I started at 271 and people started noticing around 70lbs down. So maybe 30% of my body weight. So might take about 30% for you too. Weird I know, but it is what it is!

People didn't notice for me until I had lost 70-80 lbs, and I started lower than you, so that's a greater percentage of body weight lost. One thing I definitely noticed -- the better your clothes fit, the more people notice your weight loss and compliment you. So if your pants are "hanging off" you, then people are a lot less likely to notice! Big, drapey clothes just make you look bigger than you are.

All that said -- I really do believe it's best to try not to care what other people notice and what they say. Many times people aren't comfortable commenting on someone else's body for any variety of reasons as well.

I agree with the rest. It takes a while for people to comment. I went to a neighborhood picnic this weekend after losing 73 pounds (roughly 28% of my former weight). One guy said, "Holy S---, have you lost a crapton of weight?" His wife said, "I didn't greet you because I didn't recognize you." But my across the street neighbor said, "Have you lost weight? I'm sorry, I didn't notice." So even though I'm almost two-thirds of the way to goal, some people just don't pick up on it. Hang in there! If you keep it up, they'll notice --- they'll have to! And it will feel great to hear it. Good luck, you're doing fantastic!!!

If you are like me, you may have lost and gained weight a thousand times over the years. Those that care about me know that being overweight is a hurtful topic. So to avoid the pitfall of possibility of me gaining the weight back, they choose to simply not make note of it at this point. Most do not know about my surgery and so they do not have a clue about my great potential for success this time! If I were you I would just sit back and revel in my own personal success and let them come to their own realization of your weight loss as time goes by. Don't take it personal. Besides, you did the surgery for your own personal health and well being, not to receive accolades from others. Nice comments from others is always nice to hear, and can be the icing on the cake, but certainly should not be what sustains you on your journey. Keep the faith and keep on working towards your final goal.

I've lost 40 pounds in 3 months and no one has said a word. I think it's because my weight has fluctuated a lot through yo-yo dieting and I always put the weight back on, so now people probably think it's a sensitive subject with me.

I think some people are oblivious to others, and some people are hesitant to talk about weight. You are doing a great job, and I bet if you take a pic today, and compare it to a pic before surgery, you will see a huge difference!

I heard that you notice first, then family and close friends and then finally acquaintances. Feel good about yourself your doing great. Now people notice and call me skinny. LOL. Which is no where near true, I still have 50 pounds to go. When they finally start to notice and say something they will annoy you in another way by continuously asking "how much weight have you lost?" When I heard a co worker say.....you have lost a half of a person, I quit telling them how much I lost. So believe me it's always something and people can be oblivious! You keep going!

They will notice when you wear clothes that fit. The first time I wore a smaller top and pants that actually fit me, people were like, omg. Every time I wear smaller clothes, more people compliment me. Of course,I did not keep my surgery secret.

I was just thinking the same thing. I went back to work today and hardly anyone said anything, but they knew I had the surgery. I'm down a total of 24 lbs., started at 266. I feel thinner, but I guess not enough to be completely noticeable. It just makes me more determined to keep working towards my goal weight!! Kudos to you for losing so much!