Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One week before surgery...getting really nervous

I am new to the boards and feeling so nervous right now. My surgery date is 10/14...I am doing OK on the pre op diet but my anxiety over the initial post op phase is getting to me. I am obsessing that I won't get in enough fluids and Proteins, or imagining the worst...that I will have a leak. Just wanting to feel that this is normal?

From what I understand it is perfectly normal. My surgery is November 17th and I am already having twinges of nerves.

Very normal. We imagine much worse than the reality of it. I slept a lot the few days following surgery but by day 5 or so, I felt really good. I'm not even 2 weeks post op and I feel really good. I'm able to work out now and my energy level has come up.

It feels really good on this side of the surgery. All you have to do is make it to the other side and you'll be so glad you did. Hang in there.

Try thinking or obsessing a little differently..... Like strengthening your resolve to follow all the guidelines to get the best possible outcome. Think about being anxious to begin exercising as you lose weight to regain better health. How to shop for more healthly foods, how to cook or prepare those small, high Protein meals. Concentrate on what lies ahead that is in you power to succeed.

Leave the surgery and any issues that might arise, unlikey as they might be..... to the professionals. They are prepared and capable of handling whatever arises. And you are too. Relax, You'll be fine. ;)

Edited by Recycled

I suggest you connect with others who are also having surgery in October (like me!) on this forum posting:

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/317411-newbie-looking-for-oct-sleevers/page-45#entry3622248

you'll feel better sharing your experiences with people who are going through the same thing.

I think it is definitely perfectly normal! I remember very vividly having a complete emotional meltdown about a week before surgery. It is a lot to deal with...the physical plus the emotional. Those first couple weeks are tough, but the biggest things are to keep moving and work on the liquids. The Protein is good, but it will come. You'll do great!!!

We all felt that way. I remember thinking while they prepped me for surgery that I could still bail out. I'm sure glad I didn't. You will be too! Good luck!

I'm a nut, because I was not nervous at all! Even as I walked up to the hospital, I was pretty chill. I figured if something bad happened I had a good run. LOL.

I think its perfectly normal, too. I go the day before you but I really felt so much better about things after the preop with my surgeon and the nutritional class. It does seem true that the worst two weeks will be the first two weeks, but my nutritionist said everyone is different and some people can start on the pureed phase early. I might be too afraid to try that early, though, even if things are going well. Also, at least my surgeon said they test for leaks while you are still asleep and if they find them they fix them right away. And rarely do they see leaks afterward.

Customer Number: 31136655

Thanks all..although it's gonna be a long week....feeling better finding this site...very glad for all the encouraging words :rolleyes:

This week will fly by. Before you know it, you'll be in pre-op and they'll be putting you under with those great meds. You'll wake up freaking miserable but it won't last long as they'll give you pain meds again. (Take them.) You'll sleep most of the next few days, then before you know it, you are one week out, then two. My recovery was pretty bad pain-wise but I would do it all over again. Congratulations!!

I am new here, too. I have my 1st appointment with the surgeon tomorrow. I have been obsessing about post op for months. I have to change insurance plans in order for the surgery to be covered, which is why I am just having my 1st appt now, but have been freaked out for months. I have a 9 month old baby, and I am really worries about post op care for him. There is a lift restriction. I am worried about getting dehydrated, getting enough protein..all of it. I had ankle surgery 12/31/12, as a result of being booted for almost 2 months, I developed a blood clot. It is totally gone now, but that scares the poop outta me. These message threads are really helping me know what to expect pain wise, loss wise, and food wise post-op. I think support is the most important thing! Well, that and knowing what to expect!

It was encouraging to read this posting As I am freaking out and ready to cancel my upcoming surgery tomorrow morning.

Such a big lifestyle change ...I know I need it but I don't know if I'm ready and can't even imagine months and months without a real meal

See, here's the thing.... What you can't imagine today, will become your "normal" in a few weeks. For example, right before my surgery I was addicted to Buffalo Wild Wings, ribs, kung pao chicken, steak fajitas, steak and cheese subs, and sodas. I would have each one of those meals at least once, if not twice a week -- and in large quantities! I haven't had any of them for 3.5 months, now, and I don't really miss them. (Okay, I've had ribs since the surgery, but I can only handle one or two, not a whole rack.) I Sure don't miss the huge quantities of food that I was shoveling into my mouth on a daily basis. It's a gift, and you can have it too -- if you have the surgery and follow the plan. Good luck!

Edited by Rogofulm

I think it's totally normal to be nervous before any kind of surgery! The post op diet really isn't as bad as it sounds. Right now, the idea of only eating a half cup at at time sounds impossible, but trust me, with your new smaller stomach, you really won't want to eat much more.

I would also advise that you tell your anesthesiologist you are feeling nervous. I did as soon as I met him in the holding area, and he said "okay, I can give you a margarita." I'm not sure what he put in my IV, but it felt like I had a nice drink! I was much more relaxed, but still totally awake and able to talk to people.