Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm day 3 post op and IM STARVING!

I am 7 months out from the sleeve and I have been hungry since I have had the surgery. I still have to be very careful not to eat to fast and to limit my meals. I found that drinking hot tea (decaf of course) helps in between Snacks and meals it also helps me with my fluids. I hear others say they are never hungry. I wish that was true for me.

This post is pretty scary to me. ????

I battle every day with gnawing insatiable hunger and I was hoping this would help some. I know I have to battle my food demons but this news is disheartening.

Edited by Sassy Little Redhead

This post is pretty scary to me.

I battle every day with gnawing insatiable hunger and I was hoping this would help some. I know I have to battle my food demons but this news is disheartening.

Don't get discouraged. Everyone's experience is different. And hunger is natural. You SHOULD feel hungry when your body needs nutrients. If you didn't you'd just stop eating altogether and would starve to death. I can tell you that my personal experience (a little over one month post op) is that I rarely feel hungry now. I really just eat on a schedule to make sure I am getting enough Protein and calories. In the first week or two I was legitimately hungry, because I wasn barely getting any calories in on the clear and full liquid diets. Once I was able to start having purees and mushies, I was able to start getting my calorie intake up and that helped a lot.

Don't get discouraged. Everyone's experience is different. And hunger is natural. You SHOULD feel hungry when your body needs nutrients. If you didn't you'd just stop eating altogether and would starve to death. I can tell you that my personal experience (a little over one month post op) is that I rarely feel hungry now. I really just eat on a schedule to make sure I am getting enough Protein and calories. In the first week or two I was legitimately hungry, because I wasn barely getting any calories in on the clear and full liquid diets. Once I was able to start having purees and mushies, I was able to start getting my calorie intake up and that helped a lot.

Normal hunger is what I was expecting but by sound of the previous posters I am/was afraid I am doing this all for naught. Constantly hungry but just unable to eat as much. I am really taking this serious and sticking to my pre op diet and already incorporating my new lifestyle change. My husband is super supportive and already changing his eating habits too. Thank you JamieLogical for giving me some hope.

When I reported hunger to my doc at the one-week follow-up, has asked, "Are you sure it's not thirst? That's what it usually is." I worked harder to increase my fluids and the hunger went away. Now I only get "hungry" 3 or 4 hours after a meal. And that's normal, 'cause it's just about time to eat some Protein again. Good luck!

Edited by Rogofulm

Were Protein shakes recommended, or clear liquid Protein Shakes recommended for you?

For my pre-op diet, for regular Protein Shakes, the powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury shakes tasted best to me. No off-putting chemical or medicinal taste. Syntrax Nectars also have very good taste reviews. Another important thing is that both these brands are 100% Protein isolate, so you absorb the maximum amount of protein from them. There are Proteins in some shakes that are not absorbable.

However, immediately post-surgery, my doctor said I needed to drink clear liquids for 2 - 3 days after surgery. I had a few bottles of Isopure ready-to-drink (RTD) clear Protein drinks so I could still get my protein. The larger bottles had 40 grams/bottle. I got mine at Vitamin Shoppe.

It all depends on what you've been instructed to do. There are lots of variations of instructions among doctors.

Edited by BeagleLover

Just know it ALL gets better and you will be SO THRILLED with the results!! Hang in there and don't eat anything before its time.

I am 8 days postop. Still on Clear Liquids until my follow up appt in 2 days. I do not get hungry but pretty much have a bottle Water in my hand at all times. My friends that have had sleeve stressed in importance of staying hydrated. Are you getting all your water? Maybe that is what your body wants.

You can also use the Unjury chicken flavored Protein. It is like Cup of Soup without noodles

Hi all! I'm happy to see this thread. Tmrw will be 11wks post op for me. Directly after surgery I never felt hungry and was so happy about that. I was hoping this would be the "norm"....then about 5-6 days post op, I felt like I was starving. The 2nd week post op, I was allowed soft foods. It took about 3days for the "starving" feeling to pass. Now, I have days when I'm not that hungry and then others when I'm hungry no matter how much Protein or Water I get. And I feel lucky that I can eat more than 4 bites of something. Although my weight loss is soooo much slower than others. I've lost 30lbs so far. I have to say, while I do miss eating large quantities of feel (I know, crazy right? Lol) I am extremely happy I made this decision. I wouldn't change if for anything. Good luck to everyone :):):):):)

I have both the Syntrax Nectars and Unjury and both make me gag, I've tried the costco premier and I can almost tolerate them, but I'm getting sick of them. I can't even drink Water, it makes me gag. I'm so looking for a solution for both fluids and Protein as I'm not getting either of them, please if anyone has a recommendation I really need help! I think I'm starving myself to death slowly, and am praying my kidneys don't shut down.

I have both the Syntrax Nectars and Unjury and both make me gag, I've tried the costco premier and I can almost tolerate them, but I'm getting sick of them. I can't even drink Water, it makes me gag. I'm so looking for a solution for both fluids and Protein as I'm not getting either of them, please if anyone has a recommendation I really need help! I think I'm starving myself to death slowly, and am praying my kidneys don't shut down.

Codysmom. I have not had surgery yet but I read on another thread where someone used unflavored protein from unjury w/50 calorie orange juice. Can you see if your doctor allows that? Or maybe check w/nutritionist for suggestions

@@Kathy812, Thanks I'll give it a try, right now actually. I'm not even worried about calories anymore, I'm worried about fluids and Protein and goofy things like that to keep me alive.

Although my weight loss is soooo much slower than others. I've lost 30lbs so far.

30 pounds in 11 weeks is slow? Somebody better tell my sleeve that! I'm just over 6 weeks and have lost 16 pounds. I'd be thrilled to lose another 14 pounds in the next 5 weeks, but that seems EXTREMELY unlikely. Pretty sure I'll be lucky to see ten pounds in that amount of time.

Edited by JamieLogical