Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm day 3 post op and IM STARVING!

I drank Premier Protein chocolate 4-5 times a day for about 4 weeks. Sometimes I almost had to choke it down, but it got me through. And now, over 3 months later, I still have one every morning for Breakfast for 30 quick grams of Protein. I hate to say this, and I mean it in the most supportive way, but.... you kind of have to suck it up and pick a product that you can tolerate for a short time. There IS a light at the end of the fluids-only tunnel, but you have to stick it out until then. As for fluids in general, I have trouble drinking enough Water, so I drink Crystal Light Decaf, sugar-free iced tea by the quart. With apologies to some BP members may be getting sick of seeing this, I'm going to post my daily meal plan below. I find that the structure of the day helps me get everything in that I need. Give it a shot, and good luck!

I have both the Syntrax Nectars and Unjury and both make me gag, I've tried the costco premier and I can almost tolerate them, but I'm getting sick of them. I can't even drink water, it makes me gag. I'm so looking for a solution for both fluids and protein as I'm not getting either of them, please if anyone has a recommendation I really need help! I think I'm starving myself to death slowly, and am praying my kidneys don't shut down.

Okay,here goes.... Below is a "typical" day's menu:

As for carbs, mostly I get them from my shakes, Greek yogurt, and the very limited veggies I'm able to fit in after my protein. Other doctors and nutritionists give you carb targets, but my doctor just says to limit them as much as possible. If you're not logging your food yet, I'd suggest using http://www.myfitnesspal.com/. It helps you keep track of your protein, calories and fluids, but also can help you figure out if anything is going off track and affecting your weight loss.

Okay, here's an example of my day:
  • I keep a 2-quart jug and a 24-oz Tervis tumbler (with a handle) both at home and at work.
  • I count my morning Protein Shake as a meal, not a Fluid. (30 grams of protein)
  • 30-60 minutes later, I have a cup of coffee. (Count it as a fluid if you like.)
  • After that, I drink a 24-oz. cup of decaf, sugar-free iced tea, like Crystal Light throughout the morning. (Lots of frequent sips)
  • Then I walk for 40+ minutes.
  • Then it's lunchtime - tuna salad or chicken salad, or leftover protein from dinner. (16-22 grams of protein) and maybe a bite of veggies, but there's rarely room.
  • About 45 minutes after lunch, I'll fill another 24-oz tumbler of iced tea and sip that throughout the afternoon, finishing by 30 minutes before my afternoon snack.< /li>
  • At around 4:00 or 4:30, my afternoon snack is usually a Greek yogurt (12 grams of protein) or V-8, or some leftovers. (This is also a good time to get in some veggies if you're getting enough protein at other times.)
  • Maybe a cup of hot tea in the later afternoon. (Count it as a fluid you like.)
  • Then dinner – again, getting 20-25 grams of protein from lean steak, chicken, fish, or pork, and maybe a bite or two of veggies.
  • Finally, another 24-oz cup of iced tea or water 30-45 minutes after dinner that I sip throughout the evening.
  • If I'm hungry later, sugar-free Jello or sugar-free popsicles are good. And if I'm short on protein or hungry later, another yogurt or protein shake. (I'm not worried about the calories because this menu only gives me about 700-900 calories per day.)
So that's 70+ grams of protein and 72+ ounces of fluid, with some exercise as well. If you have a regular enough schedule, you can follow it every day. If not, maybe a modified version will work.
The big trick is in pre-planning your meals and your fluids, especially if you're going to be away from home or work. In those cases, I always make sure there will be something I can eat, or I bring along a Protein shake or some kind of meat to carry me through. I've also gotten pretty good at restaurant eating. I avoid the bread and salad, order chicken, steak, lamb, fish, or pork, trade in the starch for a second veggie, skip the dessert.... and end up taking half of the meat, and almost all of the veggies home.
I know we need to learn to eat "normally", but I'm not there yet – especially when it comes to carbs. When I get to goal weight, I'll work on finding my new low-carb "normal".
Hope that helps!
Rog

Edited by Rogofulm

Okay so my surgery was October 1st... Today I can honestly say that Water and popsicles have done it for me. I'm not hungry. Just thristy from time to time. this sip not gulp thing is making getting my fluids hard. Can say this since I've been without solids I've been sleeping like a champ. I'm loving this. lol

Okay so my surgery was October 1st... Today I can honestly say that Water and popsicles have done it for me. I'm not hungry. Just thristy from time to time. this sip not gulp thing is making getting my fluids hard. Can say this since I've been without solids I've been sleeping like a champ. I'm loving this. lol

Are you also getting any Protein in?

30 pounds in 11 weeks is slow? Somebody better tell my sleeve that! I'm just over 6 weeks and have lost 16 pounds. I'd be thrilled to lose another 14 pounds in the next 5 weeks, but that seems EXTREMELY unlikely. Pretty sure I'll be lucky to see ten pounds in that amount of time.

Don't get me wrong, losing 30lbs in 11 weeks is great! And something I was not able to accomplish prior to surgery. It had taken me 10mo to lose 50lbs via Weight Watchers. Comparing (which I know we're not supposed to do) myself to others on this forum, my weight loss is slow. And in my mind, for some reason, I was expecting to lose at least 4lbs a week. I am very thankful for this surgery though. Just really hard on myself sometimes.