Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Knee injuries?

So, has anyone else had to deal with knee injuries after weight loss? I have been hiking, walking and riding my exercise bike a lot! I started feeling some discomfort and pain. I went and saw the Dr, had an MRI and today found out that I have a tear in my medial AND lateral meniscus. Great, surgery again. BUT, this won't stop me. He gave me a brace and I can still do my walks, just nothing extreme and no bike for awhile. Has anyone else ever had this?

Yes, I have been dealing with knee issues, too. A couple of years prior to WLS, I went to a knee surgeon who looked at me like "you're obese.....what do you expect!?" Anyway.....I won't go back to him, but the fact remains that my knees are damaged from carrying around so much weight. I've lost most of it, but the damage is done. I talked with another orthopedic surgeon who also said...."yes, great that you took off the weight, but at my age, the damage IS done". Knee surgery is in my future (I'm coming up on 60 years old), but I will hold off as long as possible.

Please let me know what type of knee brace you use for walking, hiking, etc. Many days I'm perfectly fine. But other days I'm miserable.

Edited by mrsto

My knees were destroyed by weight and arthritis (and one incident of domestic violence that healed poorly without proper medical attention). They have both been replaced, but thankfully not at the same. I cannot imagine how much inner strength one would need to endure double surgery. But both times after weeks of therapy, I felt much better.

Being 9 months post op from my sleeve, I have experienced even further improvement in range of motion and reduction of pain. When I had my right knee done in 2007, the meniscus had to be repaired. I feel you pain. Wraps , herapy and Ibuprophen (which destroyed my old stomach) will only get you so far. So for me, the imrovements became noticeable after about the first thirty pounds down.

The only new joint pain I have is because I can feel bones and ribs that were cushioned before by layers of fat.

I just had knee surgery. it was for a meniscus repair, but when he got in there he found my cartiledge had a big chunk missing and he found it down by my tibia. no wonder my knee was hurting. my other knee has a snovial cyst but I elected since doing so well and feeling so strong from the one knee surgery I wnted to have this strength for awhile.

Haha yup... I was in a car accident 10 days after my sleeve surgery and blew out my entire knee: http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/261129-car-accident-2-weeks-after-surgery-broken-leg/

Don't worry about meniscal surgery, though. On the scale of things, it really was not that bad, even though I had mine when I still weighed above 300 lbs! My surgery and leg injuries were both 10s on the pain scale, but the meniscal repair was only like a 2! No joke! Waking up from surgery always sucks though. :/

I actually recommend doing physical therapy first though, because for me the surgery didn't do squat compared to the reduction in pain as well as gains in mobility and strength that PT gave me. With physical therapy, you might not even need surgery.

Oh... and most of all, I recommend getting a second opinion from a different orthopedist. This is absolutely crucial because your knees are effing important.

2 knee replacments for me this year. First one is on October 20th and the right one on December 11th. Looking forward to being able to go for walks again but not looking forward to the pain of surgery.

You can add me to the list. I had both hips replaced at the same time a year ago and my orthopedist has already told me that my knees are a mess and even with all the weight loss, I have damage and like mrsto, will need both knees replaced in the future as well.

I take exercise class in the pool at the Y and I do laps as well. I also ride an eliptical bike. I can't run or jog. Don't stop exercising, but do find something that will be easier on your joints.

Good luck and welcome to the wonderful world of joint disease/pain/arthritis*

*yes...I'm being sarcastic..lol.

knee injuries after weight loss? been hiking, walking, riding exercise bike - discomfort pain

@@lsu2868

no problems with knees before weight loss??? :wacko:

wow, thats strange having pain after you've lost so much weight :o

you had many years of being at least 161 lbs heavier - weight you've already lost (108) plus 53 lbs til goal)

all those years and excess weight could have finally caught up with you :blink:

"coincidentally" rearing its ugly head after you have been more active

sorry for your knee problems/impending surgery :(

you've lost 108 lbs!!!!!

congrats

as you said above "this won't stop me"

it better not or 100 whips with a wet noodle :D

good luck

kathy

Edited by proudgrammy

I suspect that there's something wrong with my knees too but I must have been there since pre WLS, at Christmas last year I got a flash deep pain in the right knee while I ran to catch a bus and by new year I couldn't walk for a few days (doctor said it was knee muscles) but since I lost weight I got less and less pain, still feel some pain during exercise but bearly, until I played badminton once and the pain is back (only when I step down the stairs) and then gone within a week.

Now I can dance (5 days a week) and only feel the slight pain when I have to kneel down but most of the time it's fine, I try not to jump though. I hope it will get better when I'm lighter. *fingers crossed*

Sorry you're having knee issues. I've had knee problems most of my life. Part of my reason for having WLS was because of my knee pain and anticipating needing knee replacement eventually. My knees have bern much happier but I still have some issues with them. I had a meniscus tear and surgery in 2005. It is very important to get the PT after the surgery and do all the exercises religiously. You have to give your body time to heal, 6 months or so, before doing anything that puts a lot of pressure on the joint. You can ride a bike probably, use an elliptical and swim. I liked the elliptical. Best of luck to you.

Hi, I'm Neenee.

Sorry to say that I have not had that problem. I'm sorry you guys are having this problem after all that hard work in loosing weight. I believe that too should pass.

It will get better.

I've had 3 minuscus repairs and the good thing is after surgery it's immediate relief. I believe we have a lot o wear and tear on the knees due to our obesity, but I think the biggest issue is that we go from sedentary to highly active very quickly. Our body doesn't have time to build the muscles we need to do this.

Oh, Lord! Knee issues.

Had 'em all my life due to "weak knees" that just "slipped" when I was a teenager (would fall right over). Then basketball and skiing injuries (and little attention paid to them). And, of course, a lifetime of up-and-down overweight, thousands of miles of hiking, trekking and backpacking (with 60 pound packs), lots of up and down. It's amazing I can still get around.

The knees are currently much less painful since I've lost 37 pounds. But I'm VERY curious to see what they feel like with 48 fewer pounds on them.

Of course, I expect at some point I'll get to have at least one (maybe both) knees replaced. Anticipating this, I already bought a "NuStep" two years ago to prep for and rehab afterwards. Am enjoying using it now, too.

Really look forward to hearing others' experiences with their knees here.

Edited by VSGAnn2014

Of course, I expect at some point I'll get to have at least one (maybe both) knees replaced. Anticipating this, I already bought a "NuStep" two years ago to prep for and rehab afterwards. Am enjoying using it now, too.

Really look forward to hearing others' experiences with their knees here.

You are correct VSGAnn. I was told by my orthopedist that no amount of further weight loss will make my knees any better. At this point, the damage is there, and all the weight has done is make the load bearing much better and the pain less. But I will need knee replacement as well...the weight has just given me more time...which is no small thing as I am just a year out from bi-lateral hip replacement. I'm more than happy to put off the knee replacement for as long as possible. For some of us, we can avoid surgery but for others, it is inevitable...

I had my right knee replaced, with a meniscus repair, ACL repair, and synovial cyst removed in 2007. It was the single most painful surgery of my life (and my sleeve was #11). I would do it again, but with a better doctor and at a university teaching hospital. I had my left knee replaced in 2011, which was still painful, but I had a better doctor, at a university affiliated teaching hospital, and a much better physical therapy program.

When I have an achy day and my bits and parts are stiff and slow, I do my exercise to David Stamps videos. He has several videos that can be followed when sitting in a chair. My absolute favorite is Chair Boxing, although I have his Chair Salsa and his Chair Tai Chi. I would recommend them to anyone with physical challenges that prevent normal upright exercise. I even have his video for people who are bedfast. Plus, he is easy to look at.