Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need some advice :/

Hi Everyone!! This is my first post in this forum! Ive had my band just under 3 years now, i LOVE it, but im struggling. I had gone from 257 to 197 (YAY) but still had more to go. i got unfilled a little bc i figured i'd try to give it a shot "on my own",, eat more Protein etc,, big mistake... im currently 212 and made an appointment for next week... my struggle is that when im at a good fill, protein is REALLY hard for me,, so i guess i need some ideas or helpful hints be cause i truly need to get the rest of my weight off. Not only am i unhappy, but for medical reasons as well.

Any input would be helpful! Thanks!

There is a LOT of Protein a Water packed can of tuna fish and low calories. What kind of problems are you having withe protein? A Quest protein has 20 grams of protein and under 200 calories. Give us some idea of what you can tolerate, and what your needs are.

i did LOVE Quest bars,, but do u think its better to get Protein from actual food, rather than bars/powders? My problem was mostly that i love chicken/turkey, which are so dry, and on top of it, i like them well done, so that was just not going down. So i found myself eating a lot more carbs, like mashed potatoes, because it filled me up and didnt get stuck... ive also heard fish like tilapia and flounder is good for the band, but honestly never made them.

Oh and also SUGAR!!! i need to really cut down on it. For whatever reason, over the past year, i almost programmed my mind like, ok im not eating much so i can casually eat chocolate or other sweets, which for me, cant happen because it gets out of control lol, through no fault other than my own!

tuna fish is a great idea. How about scrambled eggs? I also love Fage yogurt which is high Protein. Just mash your own fruit first and add it in or some honey or sweetener or even sugar free jam to avoid the sugar carbs.

when im at a good fill,, eggs dont really go down well either! that was one of the first things for me to go, suprisingly! What do you guys do for lunch dinner? when i was focused yogurts/cottage cheese were my go to breakfast!

chicken can be hard to deal with!!! What works for me is to have my wife pound out a breast until it is thin. That makes it much more easier to chew, and my band appreciates it. It will cook dryer, but the meat seems to be much more friable and easier to chew into small bits. I've had chicken breasts cooked on the grill, and they give me problems. But, if they are pounded out, the problem goes away. I'm not saying that will work for everyone, but it may be worth trying. Good Protein in lean chicken and low calories.

I suspect vegetable Protein has the same nutritional value, but that would be a darn question to bring up at a doctor's office visit. I often wondered the same thing, but I see big displays for overpriced Protein drinks and powders in their main office.

I honestly do think that it's better to get your Protein from food instead of relying on bars & shakes. My doctor said the same thing; that months after surgery, we should be back on regular food.< /p>

I can't eat things the way I used to.....like chicken. As for eggs, try making some egg salad with low fat mayo. I keep that in the fridge all the time, and eat a little bit for Breakfast. Once it's mixed with mayo, it slides down easily. Same with tuna. For dinner, a lot of time I will make 1 pot meals that consist of ground turkey or lean beef, refried Beans, onions, garlic....whatever you like. I also put extra black Beans and canned tomatoes. Goes down easy and is VERY satisfying. Sometimes I'll take ground meat, onions, mushrooms, tomatoes and parmesan cheese, and make a wonderful Pasta sauce; but I don't add Pasta. I use Classico or another bottled sauce as the base. The thick meaty sauce is wonderful by itself. My husband, who doesn't have weight issues, loves these meals. 1 pot will last 3 days, so I'm not futzing in the kitchen all the time.

There are a lot of creative things you can do to get your Protein in. There are some good suggestions above, and I'm sure many more will post.

Good luck!

Edited by mrsto

I like to eat the deviled part of the devil,ed egg! Yummy and can be very smooth if use a food processor blender.

I make stews a lot, the kind where the meat is really falling apart. Delicious. And I use stock to cook with -- adds Protein and softens the meat/chicken. And chicken thighs are easier for me than white meat. Do you like chili? So many different kinds -- Beans are a great source. I eat Greek yogurt and in order for it not to be a slider for me I mix in some nuts -- almond or walnut pieces or sunflower seeds -- and a little gluten free Cereal. Also I sometimes add a tablespoon of collagen which adds significant protein. Doesn't change the taste at all (the collagen is for my joint issues). The food needs to be chewed in order for the esophagus to signal the brain for satiety. That's the problem with sliders like shakes and bars, we are not getting that signal when we use them. Good luck with the sugar -- sounds like you are on to what you need to do there. I know those tendencies to save up calories, etc. from all those years I'd dieting. Unfortunately empty calories are just that and if there is addictive behavior then a little is going to trigger old patterns. Feel like I'm talking to myself here -- so thank you for posting. You can do this -- you've done beautifully and now you're ready for the next step.

Thank u all so much for the responses!! i def need to get my fill back and get back on track!!!

Last winter i lived by cooking in my crock pot! ill have to search for recipes bc im sure meat that is falling off the bone i wont have a problem with at all!

"so consensus is that Protein coming from good powders/bars is just as good?"

disagree

depending on your research and which source you have confidence in being accurate, there's a world of academic disagreement as well

You might try the old 'grind it up & spread it out' approach on your hard animal source Protein, until you get adapted to the tricks of eating larger chunks.

Yes the 'protein amino acids' may be 'the same' from veggie to animal source, yet in fact they are not 'samo-samo'.

If you are looking for academic research you can keep busy for years reading research and reports that contradict each other.

And while some present clinical evidence they absolute can NOT eat animal protein due to some rare genetic issue, there are many micro nutrients in animal protein just not present in veggie protein.

The various protein-powders all have certain advantages along with their disadvantages too.

There is a ton of necessary physiologic gyrations than go on during the digestive cycle that aren't stimulated by long term protein gruel and Soylent Green ingestion....but it's good stuff for the short run and for variety.....particularly in lieu of such as starch/sugar/simple carbs.

Good luck, you can spend a LOT of time picking & choosing which theory sounds best. In the end, how it works on your frame is the answer.

I aim for variation when it comes to Protein intake. Plain low fat yoghurt is a favourite and works any time of day. When I want to jazz it up I turn it into a tzatziki with cucumbers/grilled veggies.. Or i go the other direction and make frozen yoghurt. I cant do grilled chicken/meat anymore unless i chop it up finally and turn it into a warm salad topped with a yoghurt based sauce. chicken broth based Soups are great and you can experiment so much with what to do with that broth.. I also like hummus type dips, and experiment with adding things to the Beans base, like avacados, tuna, or chicken zapped with the hummus through a processor. Smoked salmon and avocado sprinkled with coarse salt and lime juice, with or without crackers is really satisfying. I still do chocolate Protein Shakes in the morning but not religiously, and I do take a shot of whey protein after workouts. Good luck experimenting!