Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

SEPTEMBER 2014 POST-OP SLEEVERS CHECKING IN!

I had my first post op appt today and it went really well. I started puree a few days early because I was so hungry and weak on just liquids. They were completely fine with it and told me to progress as I feel comfortable. What a relief to hear that versus them being really strict on following the time table. I know their goal is to get their patients on regular food as quickly as it's safely possible.

Otherwise, I'm down 13lbs in 12 days since surgery. There's not a universe that I could complain about weight loss like that. I'm curious when that three week stall will start. At the start of the 3rd week or after 3 weeks. Either way, I'm sure it's headed my way.

Tomorrow will be 3 weeks post-op for me. Today was the first day I felt normal EXCEPT any time I tried to put anything in my mouth. I get nausea all the time, but usually it's because I "forget" about my sleeve and eat/drink too quickly. This happens. Every. Freaking. Day. You'd think I would have learned by now! So, I think it's normal...unless you are actually vomiting, then dehydration is a real concern and you need to call your surgeon.

Thanks. Yesterday and today I absolutely "normal". Big relief!

I used a pillow that I held tight to my abdomen and that helped with the pain when I sneezed and coughed. That getss better aldo.

I'm 2 weeks out, and I still use my pillow to sleep on my side.

Im on my 5th day post op and I want food so bad. Oh my Lord. My family eating all tje good food. I need someone to just throw me in a dungeon and lock the door until I can eat real food

I have the same problem at my house. It kills me when my husband goes out and comes back with candy bars. Then he eats them in front of me. He tries to hide it but this fat lady here can smell chocolate and Peanut Butter a mile away.

It's hard to change your lifestyle when everyone else around you isn't. I'm two weeks post sleeve and on puréed foods. Meals are far more satisfying. Stay in there! I know what you're going through.

Sleeved 9/22. Two weeks liquid and now progressing to soft foods, one new one per day. Never thought fat free cottage cheese could taste this good! Down 15 pounds (not counting the eight I gained in one day in hospital - took three days to lose them and get back to pre- surgery weight!). Wish I had been warned about that Water weight. It was IVs all the time for the two days I was in hospital. First medical check-up Wednesday. Surprisingly uncomplicated and now going long stretches even forgetting I had surgery just 15 days ago.

Hello everyone I got sleeved 9/29. My Dr had already told me I would be in the hospital 2 days for pain management. Was not bad all bariatric patients get private rooms. My procedure took a little more then an hour cause my Dr found and repaired a hernia. When I woke up in recovery with out my glasses I had an angel as my nurse. Her name was Pat she had short blond hair. She reminded me of a lovely lady who has left us a few months ago. My brother in laws mother Pat. I still tear up when I think about it cause I miss her laugh. Pat took me to my room which was really nice with lots of room for family. There were no restrictions on visiting hours as long as your respectful of other patients.

The first day was okay I told them I wanted to walk before my nurse asked if I was ready. One of my daughters stayed with me the first night and most of the next day. That 2 day I tried to put off pain med cause I was supposed to go to xray at 8am. By 11am no xray pain was horrible so I asked for my pain med morphine. Finally went for xray @2:48 gosh that contrast drink was gross. But no leaks so I went from swabbing my mouth and lips to ice chips, broth, Jello, Water, and popsicles. Which I am still on until I go for my nutrition and Vitamin classes as well as follow up with my Dr in 2 days. All in all I have been doing pretty good.

Sleeved 9/9/14 was wondering if going to the gym would be a good idea, if so how much would be ideal? Bandages finally off as of yesterday stuck at 3 week stall.

Hi

I was sleeved September 24 th I had no complications in surgery. Spent 2 days in the hospital 2nd day was the worst. Belly pain and shoulder pain was awful. Also I have to crush all of my medications and then take them it's the worst. I had low oxygen for 2 days. I was released on the 3rd day thankfully promising my doctor I would get my liquids in. My hospital bed wasn't as cozy as I have read many posts. I was glad to get home. EIght days later had post op lost 13 lbs. Tomorrow I start soft food! The only thing is I don't know when I am hungry or full. I hope the next stage will help me identify this but honestly I am never hungry. It's strange I was always hungry so I thought. My next challenge is walking I have horrible knees and have to see the orthopedic because I can't walk very far I guess no one said it would be easy.

Hi everyone,

I had my two week post op appt today. Everything went well. The surgeon was very satisfied with my progress. I am down 13 pounds since surgery and 22 pounds total. I can tell the difference in my clothes. I know I'm not getting all of my Protein in and may be short on my fluids. The doctor suggested that I focus on fluids because I do not need to get dehydrated.

My next goal is to start walking. I've never been one to exercise. I also want a jump rope.

Today, I can officially start phase 3 of my diet. It consists of soft foods. I have to follow this for two weeks and then I can start experimenting with regular foods. My intake increases from 1/4 cup 3 times a day to 1/2 cup 3 times a day. I still have trouble with 1/4 cup. 3-4 bites and I feel like I have a lump in my throat.

Hope everyone else is doing well. I'm trying to stay patient.

Take Care!

Angela

Sleeved 9/22. Started puréed yesterday which really has just been retried Beans with some melted cheddar and salsa or sour cream. Just using the canned kind, and man I think they will last a week! The hard work starts now, with stopping the liquids before and after, and eating slowly. Not much gets eaten, really, and there are mind games going on. I can't say I feel "full" but I do feel uncomfortable, so I am learning to communicate with my stomach! Protein from shakes and getting Water in are still big parts of my day. I think I am down at least 15. That is the fun part.

Has anyone talked to their doctor about gauged foods. I went in on Tuesday and my doctor gave me information on finding my gauge foods. Foods that fill me up and keep me filled longer.

He also gave me some food for thought. He asked me what I'm giving up by losing weight. He also asked me what I am gaining by losing weight.

I have physically been doing well with the changes that happening. Psychologically however is a different story. I'm used to eating what I want, when I wanted and in any amount. Now I need to be very conscious about my food decisions. Even though my stomach is full my mind keeps telling me that I haven't had enough. I was sleeved on the 22nd and the first two weeks were tough with food. I felt like I wasn't feeding myself enough. Now that I am in my third week I am having an easier time but there is still a battle. I never realized what an addiction I had to food till I couldn't have it anymore.

I am so discouraged :( yesterday was two weeks post op for me and I haven't lost anything in a week! I have no idea why. I can't stop crying and I just feel like I made a huge mistake.

Has anyone talked to their doctor about gauged foods. I went in on Tuesday and my doctor gave me information on finding my gauge foods. Foods that fill me up and keep me filled longer.

He also gave me some food for thought. He asked me what I'm giving up by losing weight. He also asked me what I am gaining by losing weight.

I have physically been doing well with the changes that happening. Psychologically however is a different story. I'm used to eating what I want, when I wanted and in any amount. Now I need to be very conscious about my food decisions. Even though my stomach is full my mind keeps telling me that I haven't had enough. I was sleeved on the 22nd and the first two weeks were tough with food. I felt like I wasn't feeding myself enough. Now that I am in my third week I am having an easier time but there is still a battle. I never realized what an addiction I had to food till I couldn't have it anymore.

Having done this before, the biggest challenge most people face is in their head and thinking they are giving up or losing out on something. With my band I found head hunger the worst and thinking i wanted one more bite, or was I really hungry. It took a long time to learn my signals and understand true hunger. In reality I didn't miss anything ever, if I wanted some cake I had it. Once I changed my mind losing to goal and maintaining became easier.

The biggest change I made was the choice to eat real food, no more fast food, cutting out the majority of junk food. Occasionally I go a little nuts and get a bag of chips. But my partner and I love to cook so we make our own stock, we cook at home a lot, we do eat out a lot but we know the restaurants where we eat and we tend to split an entree vs getting one of our own. It becomes second nature after a while to change how you eat and I honestly vomit on food like McDonalds. (not kidding it makes me throw up, tried it twice vomited both times)

For food, Protein, protein, protein will almost always fill people up and keep them full longer than anything else, it is dense and filling, you will find generally you eat a lot less because it fills you up faster. There are easier and harder Proteins to eat, I generally can only do a few bites of steak or roast it fills me up faster than anything else. Fish is the easiest on me, filling but light.

So question, I am on the board of a non-profit and our big event is this weekend, 12 hours long and I am in charge of main ticketing. No brainer I do it every year. Here is the challenge I don't have access to a fridge or microwave, I am onsite 12 hours, I am still in puree and mushy food stage. I don't like things like cold eggs that should be warm.

What do I take with me to eat? I am onsite can't leave the site because of my job, and it will be insane for most of the time. We will sell thousands of pours of beer (all the free beer I can drink, if I drank beer or if I could drink period ;-) )

Any suggestions on things to take my go to would be a Protein Bar but since it isn't allowed it is out. We have some restaurants around us again pureed and mushy not so hot at a restaurant and I can't leave my area and won't because the crowds are really really tight we have 20-30K in people over 5 city blocks.

Need stuff that tastes great and last at outdoor temps in Philly in Oct.

At the recommendation of another sleever, I bought a cooler/large lunch bag before my surgery. I put in a larger freezer ice pack in it too. Now, anytime I'm out for a long period of time (over 3 hrs) I take it with me. I would suggest combining a flavored Protein Powder with plain yogurt or SF pudding. That holds up well in my cooler. Mind you I'm only on the full liquid stage, but I hope that helps. But what about low fat deviled eggs? That is good cold.

Lots of luck

Edited by LaLoLaughs