Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

SEPTEMBER 2014 POST-OP SLEEVERS CHECKING IN!

I am soooo regretting this now. I had to beg to be discharged from the hospital today, have not been able to have a BM since Saturday, and I cannot keep taking in fluids because everything is backed up to my chest. I am also burping and belching constantly with no relief. If I do not "GO" soon, I fear either dehydration or an explosion somewhere along my surgical route.

Constipation is routine. I think most sleevers have experienced it. I did not go fro 5 days.

I am soooo regretting this now. I had to beg to be discharged from the hospital today, have not been able to have a BM since Saturday, and I cannot keep taking in fluids because everything is backed up to my chest. I am also burping and belching constantly with no relief. If I do not "GO" soon, I fear either dehydration or an explosion somewhere along my surgical route.

Ask your doctor about a Fleet Enema. It moves the last part of your intestines, the part closest to the blockage. BUT you must ask your doctor.

I went a whole 7 days before I started moving along. 5 days is still normal (my surgeon said 5 to 10 days). It's a combination of days, or weeks, of liquid diet and pain meds. Your gut is moving slowly, and you aren't eating much to have anything to move! The best options are Colace or Miralax. Just know that they do not always work right away, so it still may be a couple days to have any results.

did you try miralax. or a stool softner

Yes, both were given to me in the hospital with zero results. I am having a great deal of difficulty putting in one ounce every 15 minutes because anything I drink feels like it is stuck in my esophagus or right above my breast bone. I am not passing much gas on the down low, only burping constantly. And, like most of you already know, I have no interest in eating or drinking anything so I am struggling to keep motivated.

Has any one experience Dizziness when you have been laying down all day then all of a sudden you get up and feel dizzy

Ladies - Have any of you noticed a hormonal change yet? I have PCOS, and hypothyroid disease, and haven't noticed any change yet. I'll be asking my Dr. today when I can expect to notice. Just wondering if anyone from Sept. has noticed changes.

I haven't noticed any changes yet. But oddly enough, my cycle started on its own the day before I had surgery. My surgery was on the 17th.

Sept 29th, sleeved.

Monday afternoon surgery, with hernia repair. Started walking a few hours after surgery, to get the air out. I have had a gallbladder removal laporoscopic in 2005. I remembered the pain, so I wanted to get up and get moving! Went home next morning, no nausea, minimal pain. Only the larger incision feels sore. So far feeling great. Rotating 4 ozs fluids, 4 ozs of Protein shake..

It's a job!

Secrets, please try not to worry. I also had terrible problems with fluids after surgery, and still do, a month out. I am doing the best I can with it but am nowhere near my Fluid target. However, I am losing weight, the pain is near gone, my energy is increasing, and my bathroom issues are far fewer. The first two weeks I felt like stomped dog crap. It's so much better now. I am now on solid food. Please be patient with yourself and do the best you can but don't stress out. You are going to feel more normal soon and much better. This surgery is very hard. You are going through the very worst part. But it's going to be fine. Better than fine. Keep your faith.

Edited by JCP

Rest and take pain meds!

Me too!! Gag!!!

Yes, both were given to me in the hospital with zero results. I am having a great deal of difficulty putting in one ounce every 15 minutes because anything I drink feels like it is stuck in my esophagus or right above my breast bone. I am not passing much gas on the down low, only burping constantly. And, like most of you already know, I have no interest in eating or drinking anything so I am struggling to keep motivated.

My doc said only milk of magnesia for Constipation.

The other thing is walk as much as you can that will help move things along at 3 -4 days out I was walking 3 city blocks 5-7 times a day. Carry Water and sip all day.

Try and keep your urine running clear the water will also help bowel movements to flush through. If you don't keep drinking you will end up back in the hospital for dehydration and that is dangerous.

I am still moving things slowly through my bowel. At 12 days out that tells you how long it can take the body sometimes. Fortunately not constipated just slow.

Two weeks post op now. The last couple of days have had a lot of "deep ache" where the sutures were set on the left side. Any activity I do that uses core muscles hurts enough to send me looking for pain meds twice a day. Other than that, I am still doing well. Morning smoothie made from greek yogurt, almond milk, 2 scoops of Protein Powder (52 proteins), one raw egg, one small banana) is going down good. Herbal teas are going down good. Got to start liquid vitamins this week, and those are going down good. Walking several times a day. Sitting at the computer to do work uses those core muscles a lot, as does going up and down the stairs. And bending over to do simple things, like scoop dog food, feed my dogs, etc. is the type of activity that sends that deep ache over the top into full on acute pain.

Anybody else having deep pain at their incision site at this stage? How long does it last?

I'll be phoning my Dr. when his office opens later this morning to report and ask advice as well.

@@Sharon Walls

I'm just over 2 weeks post op and am also still experiencing deep pain on my left side. I'm sorry you have it too, although it's a comfort to know that I'm not the only one. Sitting upright for any length of time sets it off and bending over creates a sharp horizontal pain in my abdomen below my ribs. On occasion I've managed to twist whilst bending and that made the pain bad enough to take my breath away. I have cut back on painkillers and try to only have one or two a day. Have also started my first cold and cough for two years and am having to put pressure on my side to help reduce the pain when I cough.

Did you call your Doctor about it and if so what did he/she say?

Thanks for the encouragement. ????

I was sleeved on 9/17 this last week has been so frustrating. I am in week 3 and eating soft liquids, yougurt, scrambled eggs mashed up. Still drinking my protien drinks. I am stuck on the same weight. Does anyone have ideas how to get over a plateau? I am going nuts trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks frustrated in maple valley, wa

be patient. Its just the 3rd week.