Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Panic eating as I anticipate scheduling surgery

I'm in the process of getting all my clearances this week (psych, primary) so that I can schedule lap-band surgery. I'm self pay so I've been told it'll only be a matter of weeks until I can have the surgery. I guess I'm sort of panicking, as I've found myself binge-eating lately. I'm not usually much of a binge eater so this has me worried. Is this normal?

I didn't really binge eat. I did have a few last meals though. :)

Sounds like WLS is in order! Good luck!

My surgery was a Monday Morning, had my final office visit with final pre-op weigh in on the friday before......Friday night was my "last Meal" and I went all out, knowing I would never be able to do that again....

Saturday and Sunday I went back to the liquid diet...Monday all went well.

I did go through that but it settled down. It was the same thing I was doing in anticipation of this time I am going to do it great at Weight Watchers and then didn't roller coaster. I wouldn't worry about it too much.,

I did it too. From what I've learned, this is completely normal. Just make sure you stick to your pre-op diet. :D

Please do nt worry that you won't be able to have some of your favorite foods after surgery. Although you will want to stop eating the junk , most people can eat most of the foods they had before surgery, just in smaller amounts. The ones that cause the most problems are anything bread based or rice and Pasta items. So, no need to binge eat, because its not necessary ! Good luck on your upcoming surgery !!

Sending best wishes your way -- this is a tough time with all the waiting, appointments, anticipation.....we've all been there and what you're going through sounds very familiar. For the first time I don't feel deprived of anything. So wonderful to be out of food jail.

Thanks all. I think what I am panicking about is the fact that I know my days of using food as a comfort are coming to an end. Eating food typically makes me happy, and more food = more happy, right? It makes me really nervous to think that after the surgery, I won't be able to comfort myself in that way.

What are some of the ways you have quelled your anxiety post surgery, since food is no longer an option?

Edited by loser2014

For myself I was surprised to learn the 'binge eating' most ofter was reaction to some form of anxiety or imagined distress.

You call it 'panic eating' which is pretty accurate IMHO.

My own fear was most basic at the level of not BEING hungry but the fear of BECOMING hungry.

Hard one to shake, but aren't they all?

You'll do fine. We of the Tribe of the Morbidly Obese don't need to invent reasons to overeat regardless of how we try.

The Big Thrill postOp I had was to learn the actual pleasure I'd missed all those years, of the enjoyment of 'becoming hungry' as a distant summer storm approaches, the dank heat overwhelming and the furtive attempts to bolster myself against the thunder/lightning/most welcome precipitation that eating when HUNGRY suddenly provided.

We often have false notions on food and eating, perhaps trained into us from early parenting tricks and perhaps from our own emotional script.

Fear of being unable to become satiated on demand produced a LOT of my own over eating behavior.

The joy of finding 'eating' and 'food' are not the goal, that the tickle of hunger aptly satisfied are far more sublime.

The illusion of 'comfort food' has long been a code word for 'sport eating' and 'overeating'. PostOp I was delighted to find that powerful and errant notion has departed me.

Cheers in your journey.

I was banded on 11/28/11. That's the Monday following Thanksgiving. I only had a pre-op dietary restriction from noon on Sunday so about 21 hours before surgery. I went nuts over the Thanksgiving, Friday and Saturday. Prime rib, mashed potatoes/gravy, crème Brule, hashbrowns, sausage and eggs for Breakfast. Wow! Those were the fat old days eh?

But you know, I can still eat all that stuff, just not nearly in the volume I once did. I was like Jack, fear of becoming hungry after surgery. Once I got that 3rd my bingeing and hunger days were behind me.

I grieved in anticipation too. Grieved the loss of binge eating even though I was having surgery in order to stop binge eating. Logic be damned. You will be fine. Stick to pre op protocol religiously. You WILL enjoy food again but even better you WILL enjoy satisfaction on small amounts. Most days. Won't lie. Head hunger is real. But it is fleeting. We are stronger than our head hunger. Good luck and keep looking here for support.

Thanks all. I think what I am panicking about is the fact that I know my days of using food as a comfort are coming to an end. Eating food typically makes me happy, and more food = more happy, right? It makes me really nervous to think that after the surgery, I won't be able to comfort myself in that way.

What are some of the ways you have quelled your anxiety post surgery, since food is no longer an option?

What are some ways I have quelled my anxiety post surgery ? Let me count the ways...... I truly started listening to my body. If I craved a certain food I asked myself if I was truly hungry, or was I tired, stressed, overwhelmed , etc . If I was hungry then I ate my Protein first, fruit and veggies 2nd, and then usually I just didnt want the candy anymore.. if I did, I had a little and moved on. Its not the end of the world to have a daily treat ( for me) , according to my surgeon I should eat healthy 95 % of the time and not worry about 5% of the time. So far, so good !

What are some ways I have quelled my anxiety post surgery ? Let me count the ways...... I truly started listening to my body. If I craved a certain food I asked myself if I was truly hungry, or was I tired, stressed, overwhelmed , etc . If I was hungry then I ate my Protein first, fruit and veggies 2nd, and then usually I just didnt want the candy anymore.. if I did, I had a little and moved on. Its not the end of the world to have a daily treat ( for me) , according to my surgeon I should eat healthy 95 % of the time and not worry about 5% of the time. So far, so good !