Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Got laid off 1st day back to work from surgery

Unbelievable! This happened yesterday - The owner comments what a rough surgery and asks how I'm feeling acting like he gives a crap. Come to find out while I was recovering they realize the new software going live in 2 weeks will do all of my job. I was shocked then he says "yea we gotta trim the fat around here".

Guess me and my new self will find a better place to work. Sorry had to rant.

oh im sorry for the crappy luck :( hope it gets better

THat sucks, but it does give you a little more time to recover. I hope you can collect! My experience has been that any time I've lost a job, the previous employer had done me a huge favor in the long run. :)

I agree with that logic! I've lost enough now to feel more confident that I used to so I think making another major change in my life just might be exactly what I did right now. I have severance luckily but I just wasn't expecting that to happen.

About twenty years ago, I got fired from a job for being "too nice" to my employees, even though HR was always spitting out paperwork about how important it is to be nice to the employees. Many of my staff were shocked and sorry to see me go, They took a collection and signed a card with words of encouragement. The one comment I remember more than any other was "It will all work out in the long run."

So, apply for unemployment, see if you have grounds for a lawsuit, and enjoy the unexpected time off to heal. I wish you good luck (well at least better luck) and good health.

This sounds like a lawsuit. Time to take them to court...

So sorry to hear that, but hopefully its for the best. Keep it Moving !!

Sorry to hear this. Good luck to you.

What a jerk of a boss you've had, and I can state that because I've had plenty of them. You were laid off, it sounds like and should be able to collect unemployment comp for a while. Best of luck with your job search. I will keep you in my prayers.

This sounds like a lawsuit. Time to take them to court...

It sounds like a layoff to me and she should be able to collect unemployment while looking for another job. The trimming the fat remark by her boss was classless.

Does your "ex-boss" have a competitor? If so, that would be the FIRST place I would look for a job. Collect the unemployment for as long as you can afford it!! Good luck to you!!

Unbelievable! This happened yesterday - The owner comments what a rough surgery and asks how I'm feeling acting like he gives a crap. Come to find out while I was recovering they realize the new software going live in 2 weeks will do all of my job. I was shocked then he says "yea we gotta trim the fat around here".

Guess me and my new self will find a better place to work. Sorry had to rant.

Omg what a jerk!! Did he know what kind of surgery you had done? His vomment leads me to think he fired u because of the surgery. Did you have fmla, Im not sure but I don't think they can lay you off.

Oh am soo sorry...."when one door closes another door opens...hang in there

Sorry this happened, especially on your first day back, but maybe its a step in the right direction ? One of my favorite quotes is " Don't be afraid to give up the good to go for the great ." From the late, great Steve Prefontaine .