Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Got laid off 1st day back to work from surgery

What a total jerk and an incredibly rude comment to add salt to the wound. Best of luck to you - who knows, maybe this will lead to something far greater for you. In the meantime, hopefully unemployment insurance will give you some paid time off as you adjust to your new lifestyle!

I did ask about other positions and he said they had nowhere to move me. I have filed for unemployment - actually that was the first thing I did when I got home. The owner who laid me off knew the exact surgery I had because my supervisor told him. I did not want her to but she did anyways. My supervisor was visibly upset with it all but I have a feeling she did not stick up for me. Texas is a right to work state and they can layoff or fire anyone they chose. I was angry yesterday but not so much today. It wasn't a healthy environment and the morale was getting worse. The owner should be thinking about trimming the fat around his massive stomach honestly

Edited by DanaKat

Ya if you were on FMLA they can't fire or lay you off. Even if YOUR job was "taken" over they need to find you another comparable position. That being said if you do get hired back start looking for a WAY better place and boss to work for. Good luck you've already proven your tough keep it going!

I think you will be better off in the long run and will find something that makes you happy

With that being said, I don't agree with the lawsuit mentioned by others, that will only bring you down. Get the unemployment and enjoy your extended recovery.

Bummer and what a jerk!

Although the timing is really bad and all that, I feel like this is going to open doors to bigger and better things - and hopefully with a healthier more supportive environment too!

"yea we gotta trim the fat around here". Wow! What an insensitive jerk! I hope everything works out well for you and you find a new job quickly.

Summer

I was told a long time ago that every good employee has been fired/laid off at one time or other in their life. It is very hard to know that despite your own good work ethics, etc that some pig of a boss has the right to just up and let you go at a will. But unfortunately that is exactly what they can do. I worked for a company for 13 years and along comes a new supervisor that decided he wanted his 'own' team and so just 'eliminated my position.' How convenient. He could not fire me because I had received "exceeds" in all 13 years of job performance evaluations. At the age of 60 I knew finding a new job would be hard. So, I looked at all of this differently and decided that losing my job and taking early retirement was actually a blessing in disguise. The stress and very long hours and never ending travel was definitely not providing quality of life. So now, 1 year after the layoff, I am a new and happier person!

I know you may not be able to follow my same path due to age and financial status, but you can take this time (while on unemployment comp) to evaluate your own quality of life and let your own job dismissal be more of an opportunity to look for something better for you. Guess you could call it looking for the silver lining in something that otherwise would be a negative experience.

As another poster mentioned, internally thank that pig of a boss for opening your horizons and to enable you to look for something better!

I was told a long time ago that every good employee has been fired/laid off at one time or other in their life. It is very hard to know that despite your own good work ethics, etc that some pig of a boss has the right to just up and let you go at a will. But unfortunately that is exactly what they can do. I worked for a company for 13 years and along comes a new supervisor that decided he wanted his 'own' team and so just 'eliminated my position.' How convenient. He could not fire me because I had received "exceeds" in all 13 years of job performance evaluations. At the age of 60 I knew finding a new job would be hard. So, I looked at all of this differently and decided that losing my job and taking early retirement was actually a blessing in disguise. The stress and very long hours and never ending travel was definitely not providing quality of life. So now, 1 year after the layoff, I am a new and happier person! I know you may not be able to follow my same path due to age and financial status, but you can take this time (while on unemployment comp) to evaluate your own quality of life and let your own job dismissal be more of an opportunity to look for something better for you. Guess you could call it looking for the silver lining in something that otherwise would be a negative experience. As another poster mentioned, internally thank that pig of a boss for opening your horizons and to enable you to look for something better!

I plan too! Thanks for all the well wishes from all of you. I'm over the shock and anger and plan to have a nice holiday week and hit the pavement next week.

I get my first fill next Tuesday and I'm hoping that doesn't slow my job hunting down.

I don't know why some management tries to be flippant during terminations- it is never a good thing. As a manger who has had to lay someone off before - I had hard time not crying during the meeting - I felt so awful, maybe this guy was trying to mask his own feelings. In any case, I bet they knew before you took the time off - they usually make these decisions a few weeks in advance and then double check the timing - if they had laid you off just before your surgery (don't know if your insurance paid?) They could have set themselves up for a lawsuit - laying you off just before an expensive surgery or even a private medical procedure would look pretty suspicious (although your insurance should cover you through the end of the month following any termination).

Which leads me to my next topic - if you are not currently covered by a signficant others insurance, you may want to consider the COBRA option to ensure you have insurance for the first 90 days (minimum) following the surgery. Pretty spendy - but imagine how much it would cost to cover a complication yourself and those can crop up even a year later!

Did they offer a letter of recommendation or job search assistance? If the reason they laid you off was new software made job obsolete you would think that they would be willing to support you that way - in any case get your butt on some of the major job search websites out there like LinkedIn and make use of the contacts you have - go to your same industry companies and find yourself a better job and just think - the next time you see your old boss, you will be healthy, gorgeous and employed and he can go take a flying leap!!

Edited by SnohoGal98296

Luckily my supervisor was nice and extended my insurance thru the end of September. After that I will jump on my hubby's policy. They promised to give a good recommendation to my next potential employer. I found out today that they flat out fired 2 others there so I guess I was lucky!

You have a great and positive attitude. I love that and am sure you will have much success!

Luckily my supervisor was nice and extended my insurance thru the end of September. After that I will jump on my hubby's policy. They promised to give a good recommendation to my next potential employer. I found out today that they flat out fired 2 others there so I guess I was lucky!

tough to hear that!!! Sounds like everything will work out in the end. This next chapter in your life just took on a couple more pages is all. hang in there....

Unbelievable! This happened yesterday - The owner comments what a rough surgery and asks how I'm feeling acting like he gives a crap. Come to find out while I was recovering they realize the new software going live in 2 weeks will do all of my job. I was shocked then he says "yea we gotta trim the fat around here". Guess me and my new self will find a better place to work. Sorry had to rant.

How awful! Love the use of his terrible pun there. I'm sorry! I will probably be fired from my job soon as well...

I am sorry.. short story. I was 57 had been with the same company for 15 years.. had been promoted from the first job to being sales and marketing manager. My part of the company made the most money for the owners, but they decided they were scaling back.. mostly because my salary was more than they wanted to pay.. I ended up starting my own business and get to work at home. make more money and definitely love working for myself. didn't want to start over at my age but in the end they did me a big favor. at the time however it felt like the end of the world. Keep your chin up, file for unemployment, get yourself well and get back out there. Good Luck

Wow,, just wow...I can't believe he said that after your surgery. I bet something better is in the cards for you. Look at it as an opportunity for a great change. You will be changing inside and out as it is...here's to the new you!!!