Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tale of a bariatric diet goody-two-shoes...

Funny you bring up doughnuts - they were definitely one of my weaknesses pre-sleeve. Last week a coworker brought in several dozen for his birthday. I hadn't had a doughnut in over 4 months. I just couldn't resist! I took one with chocolate frosting and crushed m&m's...yum! I took one bite and it was sickening sweet. The next bite was doughnut minus the toppings and that was the last bite, the rest went in the trash. I had no desire for any more. There is no harm in 'cheating' once in a while for something you really desire...the key is control and moderation. I have never been one to cook and eat the same basic things each day. Greek yogurt, low fat cheese sticks, almonds, fresh fruit, low fat chocolate milk, P3 packs, tuna and Protein bars. I haven't had many cravings but I when I do I will treat myself and go right back to my new normal routine. Good luck to you!

If I lived near a Wegman's my food life would never be dull.

You're a lucky girl. :)

I don't have a whole heck of a lot to say, but felt my diet boredom deserved a good 'ole fashioned RANT! I am a good "kid". I follow the rules, I eat healthy foods, lots of Protein, good carbs (although very few). I read the posts here, offer advice, feel confident in my knowledge and control of this WLS business. I enjoy laughing at folks who claim to LOVE their daily diet of nuts, berries, and a side of protein-laden slime. (their time is coming...) I am even at the goal set for me by my NUT. But man am I ever BORED with my diet choices. I know what many of you will advise--branch out! Try new foods! Explore the culinary horizon! Learn to cook new recipes! Yes, that's all well and good, but I am a busy woman with 2 little kiddos. And cooking is not interesting to me--it's a chore, not a hobby. (Although I must admit, I make a hell of a meatloaf...) There are times when I just want a donut. But being a good kid means I walk away. Oh! The burden of being a goody-two shoes. Amy :)

I just saw The Hundred Foot Journey. Now I want to take a cooking class.

I cook 90% of the time and it lasts for a whole week. I used to eat out a lot and was a big foodie but after going through the RNY, I rarely eat out. When I do, I am full in 2 bites and don't want anymore. I used to crave stuff and now that's also gone. But I have to admit I don't even know what foods I like anymore except for my Protein shakes. Eating has become a chore and complicated. But then again I am also almost 5 months out.

I just bought a slow cooker...do you have one of those or used it before? I use my grill and oven a lot.

No, I'm not a slow cooker. I am sticking to what appeals to me for now. My sister-in-law (vegan superstar) gave me a new Protein powder to try with my almond milk--so that's next on my list of "I'll give it a shot". Quest bars make me happy, so I'll pick up a few more of those to keep on hand. Tonight I baked some haddock, potato and corn on the cob. (Ate about an ounce of fish and potato--will save the corn for tomorrow.) Thanks for your ideas. 8 mos. out and this was my first "RANT". Not bad.

And umm..btw...the "green slime" comment was my attempt at humor. Epic fail.

Thanks so much guys for all these great ideas. I am only a month out and sick of puree and wet foods. My Dr appt for clearance is Friday and then I move on to soft solids I think. I was just wondering what I was going to eat for the rest of my life since I find myself eating 6 times a day, albeit not that much lol, but still.

Teachamy, I am with LipstickLady on the "gourmet" grocery stores pre-prepped stuff. We have one place near me that makes meals for 2, for $18.99. One of these will almost feed my family of four, and comes with a Protein, a side salad or veggie, and sometimes a dessert.

I am a big believer in listening to your cravings, like for the sushi. Good for you! It made a huge difference to my sanity when I realized that there are very few off limits things, but that everything needs to be planned. The grocery store above makes a fantastic spicy tuna roll, 6 pieces. If I've just had a big workout, I might eat the whole thing (around 200-300 calories) but if not, a couple of pieces are a fantastic snack and keep me from feeling deprived. I love ordering a fish taco at our favorite Mexican place, and eating one of the two little handmade corn tortillas they put it in with all the fish, cabbage, and this fantastic sauce. Or I order the carne asada with black Beans instead of refried, and have a huge meal leftover the next day. I seem to have a sleeve of steel for the most part, but it really makes a difference to be more "normal." I also love to go out for Breakfast with friends. I can always get an egg or two scrambled with veggies, avocado, and cheese. And I usually have plenty left over for the next morning.

Earlier on I ate a lot of Krave Jerky, but have kind of moved out of that phase. I'll probably move back into it. Also just purchased my first Quest bars about a month ago, and need to be more proactive about keeping them/hiding them in the house.

Well one happy outcome for me is that all foods agree with me a few years out. Well. .it's a mixed blessing. :)

Saw my Dietician and CDE (of 12 yrs.) yesterday. As always, she gave excellent advice. That it is now the time to accept that there are times food will be "boring"--it's not entertainment--it's fuel. There are some staples I will get sick of from time to time, (yogurt, string cheese) but overall, I should plan my meals and Snacks for the week and get on with it. She told me to talk to a few people who have never had weight issues and notice that many of them eat the same things/quantities every day. That is true of my mom and vegan sister-in-law.

I feel a lot better.

:)
Thanks for your many words of advice!