Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tale of a bariatric diet goody-two-shoes...

I don't have a whole heck of a lot to say, but felt my diet boredom deserved a good 'ole fashioned RANT! I am a good "kid". I follow the rules, I eat healthy foods, lots of Protein, good carbs (although very few). I read the posts here, offer advice, feel confident in my knowledge and control of this WLS business. I enjoy laughing at folks who claim to LOVE their daily diet of nuts, berries, and a side of protein-laden slime. (their time is coming...) I am even at the goal set for me by my NUT. But man am I ever BORED with my diet choices. I know what many of you will advise--branch out! Try new foods! Explore the culinary horizon! Learn to cook new recipes! Yes, that's all well and good, but I am a busy woman with 2 little kiddos. And cooking is not interesting to me--it's a chore, not a hobby. (Although I must admit, I make a hell of a meatloaf...)

There are times when I just want a donut. But being a good kid means I walk away. Oh! The burden of being a goody-two shoes.

Amy :)

lol...lol..hang in there Amy we all have our food demons....good luck!!!

I think you're ready to be a bad girl.

Are you positive you don't like and aren't willing to cook new stuff?

(I'm not currently a big cook either.)

But after posting all my food the last 3 months in MFP, I've learned that all takeout food is sodium-laden and not all that fresh. Plus, I'm sick of it.

So I think cooking is something that's on my to-do list in a few months.

I'm fairly lazy (but I prefer to call myself super freaking busy) and I am doing my best not to fall into a diet rut. I've finally started branching out from my regular staples of cheese and beef Jerky to a lot of pre-prepped food from gourmet groceries like Whole Foods and Fresh Market.

I never bought too much before, but now that I can only eat a few ounces, it's really not expensive. Shrimp salad, chicken salad (the fancy stuff!), sushi, mini crab cakes, ceviche, boneless ribs, meatballs... I can get any of these items for a meal for just a few bucks and it keeps me interested.

I also keep lunch meat in the fridge for roll ups along with avocado for yum. My "naughty" fast food? cheese hot dogs, pre-cooked chicken sausages, precooked bacon, imitation crab legs and peel and eat shrimp.

I feel lucky in that I lost all interest in eating a variety of flavors, starting the 1st week post-op. I can eat the same ole stuff every meal for months before I get burned out. It makes life and cooking very simple. I get enough flavor variety to keep me satisfied by going out to eat on Sat nights with friends.

Edited by joatsaint

I keep things like burrito's in the freezer for those days. Oysters and multigrain crackers.

stuffed chicken breasts..things like that. But I enjoy cooking now more then ever...(She puts her head down while she writes this so to avoid the pillow being thrown at her!)

I go in spurts about veggies and crave different ones. Like right now..Cauliflower and radishes...can't get enough. I cook maybe 4 times a week and always have plenty leftovers to last....

You know on Pinterest there are baked doughnuts recipes that you can try..... :P Me I would just eat the doughnut!

Edited by RJ'S/beginning

I feel lucky in that I lost all interest in eating a variety of flavors, starting the 1st week post-op. I can eat the same ole stuff every meal for months before I get burned out. It makes life and cooking very simple. I get enough flavor variety to keep me satisfied by going out to eat on Sat nights with friends.

And I know I can only eat 2-4 ounces so I want maximum flavor out of each bite. No more bland food for me.

• LipstickLady, love the new profile pic! I too buy a lot of food from my local "gourmet grocery", especially enjoy their vegan Soups. I should add that part of my boredom is due to the restrictions I have due to Celiac disease. Gluten is not my friend. (But don't worry--I know where they sell gluten free donuts!) I am dying for a brown rice salmon roll from Whole Foods. I think I gotta go for it! That's reasonable, right?

• LipstickLady, love the new profile pic! I too buy a lot of food from my local "gourmet grocery", especially enjoy their vegan Soups. I should add that part of my boredom is due to the restrictions I have due to Celiac disease. Gluten is not my friend. (But don't worry--I know where they sell gluten free donuts!) I am dying for a brown rice salmon roll from Whole Foods. I think I gotta go for it! That's reasonable, right?

I have sushi with fellow sleevers at least once a week. Yum! Did you know some places will make riceless sushi with cucumber instead of rice? Fabulous!

I have had sashimi, but I think I want the real deal for a change. (Gotta look up the calories/carbs in MFP)

@@Teachamy when I have a moment of weakness, I try to do a lot of self talk: "You already know what that tastes like." or "That sugar is going to give you a headache later." It works a lot of the time (not always!).

Obviously what you're doing is working for you...why mess it up?!

I dont cook alot either, its just me and my hubby now, kids are moved out . (Yay !), but if I had had kids at home and were super busy like you are I would of cooked differently, now that im banded. How about making it the big "once a month cooking day " and then it all goes into the freezer ? Take out what you need nightly for the next days meals . I dont remember what its called, maybe google "freezer cooking " or " make ahead meals "? But lots of variety, easy on the wallet, less cooking stress, etc. Good luck !

I dont cook alot either, its just me and my hubby now, kids are moved out . (Yay !), but if I had had kids at home and were super busy like you are I would of cooked differently, now that im banded. How about making it the big "once a month cooking day " and then it all goes into the freezer ? Take out what you need nightly for the next days meals . I dont remember what its called, maybe google "freezer cooking " or " make ahead meals "? But lots of variety, easy on the wallet, less cooking stress, etc. Good luck !

Here is one of them google " Mels kitchen cafe " for 40 make ahead meals. Looks good to me !