Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long until you went back to work?

I had open gastric bypass and was out of work for 3 full weeks. I think they do that because they assume you're on pain meds. I didn't need any after I left the hospital but you do need to rest up. If you're not on pain meds you could probably work after 2 weeks. Just remember to get up a lot and keep moving.

Can you apply for short term disability? That is what I did and enjoyed 2 1/2 weeks off

I can work from home and stayed here through mid august from June 24.

I got flash w/short term disability from work for 7 wks.

I got all my short term benefits

Wow! I had lap band on Thursday morning and went back to work on Sunday night. I'm a labor and delivery nurse and went back to work full duty. Other than the gas pain and being tired ( whos not tired working night shift? Lol! ) I was fine. I probably could have takes a few more days but I didn't tell anyone, not even my boss. Everyone else was doing some kind of diet so no one really noticed I was on liquids and mushiness. Ha!

I am taking 1 month. I am a nurse in a very very busy office. So my doc said 30 days. I am going in on wed just because my energy level has fallen.

I took 6 weeks because I could! I have short term disability so I got 3/4 of my regular pay.

If you are able to work from home, you can go back as soon as you feel comfortable. You may not be able to sit for long periods of time due to the strain on your stomach, but you could definitely work from a laptop laying down. That choice is yours. I took the full six weeks my doctor allowed, but I work a job where I am on my feet and walking 10 to 12 miles a night. Because of the active nature of my job I took the whole time off. What I did not realize is that I probably could have handled going back to work after about two or three weeks. The pain was gone and I was no longer on any pain meds.

I had many people tell me post surgery to take the full six weeks as apposed to part of it. Their reasoning is that the diet is so very different and requires so much adjusting that, in all honesty, it took me the full six weeks to begin being able to make it a routine. Since you are working from home and have a little more control over this you should be fine going back as soon as you feel comfortable. I would at least reccomend taking a week to ten days after you get home from surgery to get used to everything before charging back. Half days would also be a good option for a little bit.

I wish you the best of luck in your surgery. It will be the journey of a lifetime. You will discover amazing things about yourself that you never thought you could do. I am excited for you! If you have any questions or I can help you in any way feel free to contact me at any of the links below. I will do what I can to help out.

I see where people are using short term disability. I have that through my work but why take that if I have sick leave available? Am I missing something?

I have short term disability, too, and I also have some sick leave but I am pretty sure it isn't going to be enough to cover the time off I need. My surgery date is tentatively scheduled for December 4 and once the insurance company gives the okay I guess I should contact my HR department and find out how that all works. I would really like to be over the worst of the fatigue post surgery before I try to work again, but at least I don't have to go anywhere if I am unable to take sufficient time off. Thank you, everyone, for all of your experiences and your thoughts on this topic!! :)

I am a hospital employee with a fast paced job. I took 2 weeks exactly and they were my vacation days. Sometimes it's just mind over matter. I'm now 6 weeks out and going strong.

I paid for my short term disability so I used it! Why not?

I was back to work (teleworking) on day 8, I physically went back to my office on day 13. I felt great and was getting bored at home. So it worked for me.

I see where people are using short term disability. I have that through my work but why take that if I have sick leave available? Am I missing something?

I can't speak for others but medical leaves equals free paid time from my company.

My company doesn't have "sick" days only personal days. Yearly I have 23 days. So if I were to use my personal time it would not be enough. Short term disability (I don't pay extra or anything), I can take up to a total of like 12 weeks off all paid at 100% and the only requirement (besides qualifying medically) is to use five days of my personal time

So for me using disability means saving my real personal days for vacation next year and still getting my full paycheck.

I'm only using 5-6 weeks of disability and if I feel better sooner I'll return to work. I'm a workaholic lol

Edited by bluedreams86

Hello everyone~

I am facing a very frustrating situation. I had timed my surgery for around the time I would not longer be employed. Or so I thought... What should have been a done deal unraveled and now we have no idea when our department will be reorganized. I am a medical transcriptionist and I work from home, so it isn't like I have to do a lot to get to work, lol. I have used up all my sick time getting ready for surgery so any time off I take will be unpaid, which can only go on for so long. Ugh, I am kinda freaking out now.

I don't actually have my surgery date yet. I guess I am just freaking out about still being employed when I do have it. How weird is that??

So, anyway, how long were you off before you went back to work? Did you start slowly (like half days at first) or did you wait until you could put in a full day? How long until you were not completely worn out after a day of work?

u need at less two weeks sitting in one position to long hurts like driving it kills me