Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long until you went back to work?

My dr insists on 6 wks off work to rest, rest, rest and walk, walk, walk, and to get in liquids and 5 meals/snacks per day. I'm 4 wks out and if I am active for 6+ hrs, I need a nap to regroup. She's afraid peoples jobs are so busy, they will forget to eat and drink.

Hi, I had my BNYBP on 7/16, I'm still on leave as of today, My doctor suggested 6 weeks, and honestly I am so glad he did.

I started experiencing pain in my chest pain after eating, vomiting, Constipation, and the foamies. I went to my doctor who did a EGD in the office (painful) he found my pouch's opening was tight, this was the cause of my problems. Today I had another EGD this time I was out and they were able to inflate the opening, So far I am feeling a whole lot better.

Like everyone else it seems, I still need a nap in the afternoons. SO what I am saying is you can plan for 2 weeks or more but in reality it is going to depend how you are going to feel. I'm glad I took the 6 weeks, it helped me so far.

Good luck with your decision.

By the way I am scheduled to go back to work on 9/2.

I have 4 weeks off. My RNY was 7/29 and I return to work on 9/2. If I had a desk job I probably would have gone back the second week. But I work in a manufacturing plant and I'm required to lift up to 50lbs regularly so rather than going back with a restriction my surgeon just kept me out until he could send me back restriction free. I can't wait to go back, even with my walks and fun family time, I'm starting to get cabin fever. I'm sure my tune will change after a full week back to work. Lol

Hi I could have went back after 1 week but went back at 2 weeks no problems .

I met with my surgeon today and he said he would like me out of work for four weeks. I have a physical job and often need to do physical restraints and he wants to make sure I am healed enough to go back. He also said that the people who take time off are the ones with the highest success rate. He said (and it makes sense to me) that this new lifestyle takes a big adjustment and you need to give yourself time to learn and adjust. I was hoping to only take two weeks but I'll see how everything is going then.

I went back at 2 weeks and it was rough, I was so tired, I could barely make it.I work 3 days a week, 8 hour days, but I only worked two 4 hour days and then took the third day off that week. The next week I worked three 5 hour days, then came back full time the next week. It's the tiredness that gets you, not so much the pain.

I went back after 7 days. It was not a problem.

I took six days off. Desk job. Was tired at the end of the day. But was able to get in my Protein and liquids each day. Pain was minimal. Didn't require any painkillers by then either.

I am a high school teacher, so I had the option of sitting at my desk a lot for the first few days back at work. I had my surgery on a Thursday and officially went back the following Thursday with no issues other than being tired. I had to go take pictures at a pageant for a fundraiser that I had already committed to on the Monday and Tuesday after my surgery before I was back at work. I sat in a rolling chair for three hours both nights and took pictures with no problems other than my drain tube feeling awkward while I worked.

I took off a week, went back 1/2 days for the second week...developed UTI, and had some really bad Constipation issues. Missed nearly all of the third week completely! Finally back full time at 4 weeks, but was tired for a while. I have a desk job, but there was a lot of stress, as I came back the only other person in the department left on maternity leave, so was on my on as well.

I had it on a Tuesday, was in the hospital until Th, and worked from home starting Monday for a week. I was back in the office the following Monday. If you're worried, you can take disability leave and get partial pay at least. My rny was particularly uneventful.

I was out 7 wks but my job is very physical - factory work

Interesting topic... I am a nurse and I had the surgery 10 days ago. My surgeon is expecting me to go back to work 3 weeks from the date of surgery. I FEEL like I could do that, except for the diet. I am on full liquids still and will barely be on pureed by then. I would prefer to be solid in my diet, at least somewhat, before going back because with my job you just never know when or if you will eat or how. So, it is going to take a lot to logistically figure out. But bottom line, my surgeon says 3 weeks, and I have a very physical job.

Wow, I would never have made it at 10 days!! Especially in a physical job. I was so tired all the time, I was constantly taking naps. I didn't really feel half way normal for about 3 -4 weeks.

I had surgery Aug 30th and am hoping to go back to work September 11th if Post Op appointment goes well on the 10th. I am really tired this week and having a hard time with getting enough liquids down. Dr. recommends 2 weeks for Dr desk job. I might end up going back the 15th. We will see how this next week goes.