Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Calorie Intake 3+ months Post Op

Yes lol my fitness pal app is what I meant :)

I'm 13 weeks. I have been eating right around 1200 calories for a a few weeks. I def could eat more. I bike 12-16 miles 3-4 days a week and than do arms those days. And on opposite days I walk about 4 miles. I started off w BMI of 34 SW 241 I'm 5'11" today I weigh 198. 43 pounds! I eat Protein 1st for meals but often my Snacks are carbs. I have even eaten oreos, ice cream, chips and a few cocktails but all in moderation. 2 oreos -not the whole container! 10 chips-not the whole bag! This is a lifestyle change for me! I wanna be able to enjoy what I love but not have it rule me!

Currently I am eating 1100-1200 calories a day. I am 7 months post op. At 3 months, I was eating 800-900 calories a day. One of the revelations to me was that I had to increase calories as I exercised more. This gave me the energy I needed to exercise frequently and it aways pumped up the weight loss every time I increased calories.

I kept my carbs pretty low for the first fiv months, keeping them under 50 a day. this is optimum for weight loss. Since that time I found that I needed to increase carbs gradually to about 70-80 a day. Weight loss has been consistent. As the exercise intensity increased. I needed additional carbs to provide the energy for workouts.

I would evaluate your caloric intake. My guess is that you will up the weight loss

My surgeon had me on 600 calories for the first 6 weeks. At my 6 week check up she raised my calories to 1,000. I see her next week & I should be upped to 1,200. This will be my maximum for the rest of my life. I also use My Fitness Pal. I track calories, carbs, Fiber & Protein. MFP is a huge help. Carbs are my biggest enemy. I try to stay under 50 carbs/day.

I am 3 months, 2 days out and I eat between 600-800 per day. I haven't actually hit 800 yet. I'm usually around 600 and on some days even that is a struggle. I eat 60 grams of carbs or less per day, but I am getting my 75 g of Protein pretty consistently. I am averaging about 3 lb. loss per week and I am HAPPY with my results!

Well it seems doctors/patients use different methods & give different advice....my sleeve was in February & my doc said not to bother counting calories/carbs etc. just keep track of the cm's or inches if you want to keep track of anything.

Have been consistently on the docs predicted before surgery 80-82 kgs without really watching anything & not feeling hungry, for the last couple of months.

I told him prior to surgery I wanted to get to 75 kgs & he said that wouldn't happen.

He was right.

ok...dummy question...what is my fitness pal? haven't had my surgery yet but trying to be ready for anything....

It is an app that can track your calories and exercise. It's a great app as long as you are entering everything you eat into it.

MFP is an awesome tool to help you track everything you put into your mouth. I am more than happy with the success I have had thus far. I can tell, the more I exercise, the more calories I am able to consume. For instance, when I eat, it will be part of a piece of grilled chicken for example, and that is it. Nothing else. I do occasionally enjoy a bite or two of something I probably shouldn't have, but hey....if I deprive myself totally, I will binge more than likely. I have absolutely NO complaints at how far I have came considering I was not able to do any exercise until June 11th. I was sleeved on 4/9 and then had to go back into emergency surgery 5/12. I had a perforation in my stomach. (Worst pain I have EVER endured). Anyways...I have dropped 4 sizes since this journey began. For that, I am happy happy happy. It sounds like I am pretty much on track with the rest of you guys.

Great timing for me to read this thread. I am 4 months post-op and have really been struggling trying to keep my intake at 800 calories. I exercise about 5 days a week- running 4 miles or bootcamp. Boot camp burns about 500 according to boot camp instructor and running burns about 700 according to mfp and the bridge to 10k app. I've added the boot camp and increased the running in the last month and have noticed a slow down in weight loss (yeah I know I could be adding muscle, but don't we all want to see the result on the scale? ). I like seeing some of you at 1000 calorie intake. I think on the days I exercise, I will increase to 1000. I've also scheduled an appt with my NUT (who I haven't seen since pre-op) because I'm trying to do what I've been told but I also feel like I'm depriving myself on the days I exercise. I think the basic nutrition guidelines we're given consider we might be doing something like 30 min cardio 3-5 times a week. With higher intensity exercise, it just seems reasonable to add more calories.

I'm 2 months out today. Love fitnesspal. I get in about 500-700 calories a day. Walking on my treadmill 60 mins. I burn 366 calories. I need to add strength training.

Nicey2u.....how do you set your percentages for fats, carbs and Protein in MFP? I didn't know you could do this. Thanks for the help!

You go under goals and set your percentage for carbs fats and protein!! Depending in what percentage you put in and how many calories you are set at I believe determines what it sets your carbs at!!! I have my calories set at 800 and my percentages are 25% carb 45% protein and 35% fats.... This made my carbs set at 50!! If you put in more calories it will up the amount if carbs...; ) it's all based on percentages!! I'm a math whiz! Hahaha hope this helps!

Nicey2u.....how do you set your percentages for fats, carbs and Protein in MFP? I didn't know you could do this. Thanks for the help!

You go under goals and set your percentage for carbs fats and protein!! Depending in what percentage you put in and how many calories you are set at I believe determines what it sets your carbs at!!! I have my calories set at 800 and my percentages are 25% carb 45% protein and 35% fats.... This made my carbs set at 50!! If you put in more calories it will up the amount if carbs...; ) it's all based on percentages!! I'm a math whiz! Hahaha hope this helps! Oh ya if you add cardio it adds calories and ups your carb goal! ; )

Edited by Nicey2u

Nicey2u,

I tried setting my carbs/protein/fats and it will not let me set them once I changed from what was already in the system. Do you know why?