Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Still on the fence, what does a day in the life look like?

I was certain that I had made up my mind to get the sleeve, however the more time that seems to pass while I'm getting the rest of my pre-reqs out of the way, the more I can't make a final decision on what procedure to have. Honestly, the more I think the more I come back to the lapband. So I'm wondering, what does a days menu look like for a lapbander, once you are all done with all the various stages (liquid, soft) after surgery? I know that the sleeve diet is similar, but I still would like some comments.

Hi there, I was banded Dec 13, 2011 at 225 lbs, I quickly hit 175 on August 1, 2012. I then slowed down weight loss wise, it took me another year to get to 160. It was a very easy surgery and recovery. I just followed my Drs rules about Protein, Water and exercise, and so far I have'nt had any problems. I love my band !!! As far as my average daily diet ? I can eat 90 % of what I ate before, I eat fairly healthy, mostly home cooking. We eat out maybe 1-2 x a month. So, here goes.........6:30 am - hot tea, 8am Belvita Breakfast biscuts (4 in a pkg) and a piece or 2 of turkey Jerky. 10 am Swiss Miss ( made with water), & 4 wheat thins w/ PB. Lunch- usually fish, chicken, or small piece of meat, with fruit or raw veggies, Or today spinach salad with chicken , strawberries, tiny amt of cheese and almonds. 4pm -snack , small fruit or cookie (sigh.....my sweet tooth attack), 6 pm same as dinner. Very easy, no weird foods etc. Hope this helps !! Im very glad I was banded, im healthy and happy again !! Good luck !!

I had lap-band surgery a year ago, and have not regretted it even one single moment since. My typical day looks like this:

Breakfast - chocolate Peanut Butter banana smoothie made with 2 scoops of chocolate prograde Protein powder, coconut almond milk, PB2 powdered Peanut Butter, and a frozen banana

lunch - a scoop of chicken salad from the deli in our building, which I have with a few club crackers; or a frozen weight watchers or lean cuisine dinner.

Afternoon snack (if I get hungry) - Dannon Light & Fit Greek Yogurt or laughing cow light cheese or mini babybel light cheese

dinner - we eat out a lot, but I usually share a meal with my husband, so I'll have a few bites of his grilled steak or chicken or a skewer of grilled shrimp, a few bites of potato, and some veggies.

I rarely ever get hungry, now that I think I'm in the green zone. I do treat myself occasionally if someone's having a dessert, I'll have a few bites because I don't want to feel deprived. But, that's the great thing - I'm completely satisfied with a few bites of anything. I average about 1200 calories per day, and have lost 83 pounds since my surgery (which is a little over 1.5 pounds average per week, definitely a healthy rate of weight loss).

Good luck with your decision! I'm very happy I decided on the lap-band. It took me years to make the decision, but in the end what convinced me was the fact that it's all reversible if needed (and I hope it's never needed because I hope to keep this tool for the rest of my life)!

I was banded last November and I am so happy with my choice. I am not hungry in the mornings so usually I don't eat until around noontime. I like Greek yogurt and buy the 100 calorie kind then pack the cup with things like chopped walnuts, chia seeds, a bit of gluten free Cereal, etc. For me this is like a giant treat. Later I'll have whatever Protein is going and some veg. Tonight we grilled and I loved my steak, just a small amount and then when I'm full I'm done. Oh, earlier I had cheese and crackers (GF) and we are having cocktails. I don't want to say what's good for any one but me, but this banded life is wonderful. I sure I could be losing faster but for the first time I'm not on a diet, I have no deprivation and I am at peace with food. I still love to cool -- have some chicken Marbella marinating right now. I've lost about sixty pounds and feel GREAT.

As you see from the others who've posted before me....we can eat almost anything we want after the initial healing phases. Some doc's may impose some "rules" about never having this or that, but after some time, (months/years post op) you'll figure out what works for you and your band.

Theres only about a handful of things I pretty much have completely "given up" because they cause me problems. Off the top of my head, brussel sprouts, pineapple, scrambled eggs, and sandwiches are on my do not eat list. I rarely eat slab type red meat, (steaks, etc), just not worth it to me.

I probably eat fish 10 times a week, chicken 5-6 times a week. I have a Protein shake very similar to MammaJamma's a few times a week for breakfast....whatever time that is. (shiftworker)

I don't think anyone would even know I had surgery now....almost 5 years post op....if they watched me eat. I just eat slower and much less than I used to.

I don't use baby forks, spoons, etc....I don't have a timer on my smartphone, I don't have a small plastic plate with dividers on it to tell me how much protein/carbs/veggies. I'm not saying these things aren't useful to someone during certain phases of learning life with a lapband, but I like to think my eating habits are just "normal" now.

After all, that's what I wanted ......to be normal. Thank you lapband!

Best wishes on your success :)

Thanks everyone! I believe deep down lapband is the way I'm suppose to go. I like hearing about other's positive experiences.

Its a little rough in the beginning with the gas pains, swelling...then the fills..which is to be expected, but, like the others, I am also eating protien (steak, chicken, shrimp), vegetables (salad, broccoli, green Beans, etc) and carbs in that order, and in small amounts. I no longer obsess over food, and find it freeing! I do have to watch certain things like scrambled eggs and nuts. So far those have been the two problem foods for me...and anything cold will sometimes cause my band to get really tight and make it hard to eat. I am only 1 1/2 months out, though...so I'm still tender, and just had a fill a couple weeks ago which caused swelling for about a week. But, I'm back to eating solids again. Takes a bit of getting used to chew chew chewing, and taking small bites. It really helps me take control of my portion sizes...and I think that is key. I stay right around 1000 calories and feel satisfied all day without the jitters or headaches. I would have gotten jittery and headaches prior to the band if I had put myself on a diet of 1000! No one out side my family knows, nor can they tell I have the band. I just eat slower and not as much. Cravings are not there..and if they do show up, they are not as intense. I have no pain in the port area now...so I can sleep on my stomach or side..yay! I was worried about that..lol. I have more energy, and do not get as winded after losing 27 pounds since the pre-surgery diet. I have yet to find my "go to" exercise regime...but I am focusing on moving more..taking long walks, etc. Eventually I want to run a marathon..but taking it slow so I don't burn out. I need to start weight lifting this week! This website had been awesome! The support I've found on here had kept me positive through the rough Patches. So far, I have no regrets...and I like knowing it is adjustable and reversible....and no dumping syndrome, that I know of. There are always risks to any surgery...so weigh the pros and cons of each. I researched for quite awhile...the horror stories still scare me if I read them...but I decided to go for it, and I am happy so far! :-) Whatever decision you make..make sure it is the best one for you..as we are all different. Good luck on decision making...we are all here if you need us :-)

I have no regrets at all.

I just past my 8 year "Banniversary".

The band saved my life. My only regret is that I didn't do it sooner.

Tom, Toronto

Banded July 6 06

Wt. Loss: 160 lbs

Thanks everyone! I believe deep down lapband is the way I'm suppose to go. I like hearing about other's positive experiences.

I have no regrets either. Next week is 2 years for me. I am far from perfect but I am down around 70-80 but would like to lose more. My thing is I don't exercise enough. I am also nearly 64. Wish I did this many years ago. I am off all meds. I take Vitamins and minerals every day. Your doctor will help with that.

I love my morning Protein Shakes. As for food I am a weird eater. I eat out almost every day. I try to get a salad in every day so that I eat some veggies. I am not a big veggie eater.

Good luck