Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is it truth or myth?

After my sleeve I could have 1/3 cup plus two tablespoons....and that was plenty. Even now at seven months, I am good with about a 1/2 cup of a casserole or 1 1/2 ounces of meat and 3 or 4 bites of veg.

I don't find that to be the case at all. I can have the equivalent of half a sandwich. Basically, take any meal I used to have and I can eat 1/3 to 1/2 of it now. (Not that I do; mostly I focus on Protein. I'm just trying to give you an idea of volume.) I'd say it's closer to 3/4 cup to a cup for me. In fact now I am focusing on stopping even before that to be sure I am still hungry. I'm 9 months out.

Its been my experience at first i was able to eat only 1 oz at a time. Now at four week post-op i could eat 3 oz max. I feel that bites is a relative term since each of us bite off differently. I like to stick with ounces rather than bite sizes.

For the first few weeks, I was only able to eat a few bites per meal. As the months wore on, and my sleeve healed, I could eat more and more. At 6 months, I was eating about 1/2 cup per meal. At 1 year I was eating around 1 cup plus a little per meal. Now, at 18 months, I can hold about a cup to 1 1/2 cups, depending on whether it's Protein or vegetables or a mix of both.

After having the gastric sleeve is it true you can only have 4-5 bites of food each meal?

7 months out and still eating 1/2 a cup of 4 ozs per meal. So ya, if you take big bites then 4-5 bites could be realistic.

Fourteen months out here.

Some days I can eat a cup of non-Protein in a sitting, OR 3oz of Protein, OR 2oz protein and a few nibbles of something else.

Other days I can only eat 2oz of protein OR 1/2 cup of something else in a sitting. My capacity ranges from day to day with really no rhyme or reason.

It's a lot less than I anticipated and when I feel like I'm starving, it can be frustrating on those smaller capacity days. The frustration passes quickly when the size sixes button easily.

Edited by LipstickLady

4 wks out, i can eat about 1/4 cup at a sitting, mostly Protein at this point. it is PLENTY, and my sleeve lets me know when i am nearing full. if i don't listen and keep going, it is pure PAIN for about 40 minutes after. not worth it.

I'm three years out. I can eat A LOT of junk foods like popcorn, crackers, or even one of my favs: watermelon. For solid Protein, most days I top out at three ounces with a little bit of other stuff on the side. Sometimes two ounces is plenty. On rare occasions, I eat four ounces of firm Protein.

I eat about the same amount as my naturally thin friends (husband and step daughter) and my health/weight conscious friends.

Early out, it was a struggle to eat even a few bites, but that is part of the healing process and very temporary.

Lynda

Quick answer myth. I can eat about a half a cup of food, but that depends on what food I am eating. One can eat a lot more Soup and yogurt than say meat.< /p>

Honestly I found it to be freeing that I could have a plate of food in front of me and physically not eat it all. I can eat most of a Lean Cuisine for lunch, but I have no issues tossing it into the trash since I can't finish it. Before I would have eaten the whole thing and licked the plastic container clean, then have a snack or two afterwards. Now that is just not going to happen and it is a relief that I can't.

Initally fresh from surgery yeah. You'll be lucky to get 3 bites down. But it changes.

I'm 9 months out and I can eat around a cup of food. I have foods I can eat more of yes. .Those are the wet fruits. I pair those with dense meats. But...I don't go over my cup of food.

Your hunger will change and your overall intake will always fluctuate. Stress, hormones, life all affect both.

That is probably true for the first few weeks. I would say now, fully healed at 10 months post op I could probably eat 2/3 c. at one sitting. I try to stop before I feel uncomfortably full. There are times when my mouth wants a few more bites because something tastes delicious, but my stomach is saying no way. Those times are the exception rather than the rule, though. And totally worth it. :-)

11 months out and I still can't eat a whole slice of pizza and I'm glad!