Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One year out and only 50 pounds down...I feel like a failure!

I was banded 7/11/13 and I have about 6cc's in my band. I think my problem is portion size. I can eat more than 1 cup of food at a time so today I started eating 1/2 of my food, letting the rest cool down if it was hot, and putting it in the freezer for another day. I noticed that I was not hungry after eating just 1/2 which tells me I have been listening to my head and not my stomach. I started exercising 3 months ago and I either ride a bike or do my elliptical machine at least 5 times a week. So...why do I get on the scale twice a day only to see that I lose 1 pound a week or maybe 2?!?! I'm obsessed with weighting myself and it's only adding to me feeling like more of a failure in this. Do you think I need another fill? I haven't gotten a fill in 4 months because I wanted to try working this band the right way. I am making an effort to get in 64 ounces of Water daily too. So...can someone help me? Give me some daily menu ideas...something...I'm drowning here!!! I thought I would be 100 pounds down by now! Lol! I just need a little help from some experts! Thanks so much God bless you!!!

One or two pounds a week is quite respectable. I've gone for months where I have lost only a 1/2 pound. I think you're doing darn good! After losing 50 pounds it can become harder to shed more as quickly as in the beginning.

50 pounds down is amazing -- way to go! I think about what would have happened to me over the long cold winter we had if I had not had my band. Fifty is great. Pat yourself in the back and figure out where you want to go from here. It's not a race, it's a lifestyle. You are doing great!

Why oh why do you feel like a failure? You've lost 50 lbs. And you have to remember that without WLS, you likely would have gained quite a bit of weight so add that to your total. Also...get off the scale. It's just a number and you can lose even if the scale doesn't show it. Look for the NSVs instead of the weight loss. Are you wearing smaller sized clothing? Do you have more energy? Can you fit somewhere you couldn't before? These changes are as if not more important that the numbers. Don't concern yourself with what you thought you would lose...only concern yourself with what you have lost. 50 lbs. is nothing to sneeze at. Try to pick up something that weighs 50 lbs. I bet you can't. Remember...this is a lifelong journey so don't get bogged down in the time it takes to 'get there'. Good luck my friend!

Here's a test to see if you need a fill. First, fast for a day. Just liquids. You can eat dinner but no Breakfast or lunch.

Here's what you're looking for. Hunger, true hunger. Experience it every now and then to remind yourself what true hunger feels like? It's not a craving or a need to feel better about yourself or some situation. How many times have we said I'm starving? When what we really mean is, "I can't wait to wrap my mouth around that slab of ribs"?

Why do this fast? So when you eat a meal and you don't feel hunger(true hunger, remember?) for 4-5 hours, you're in the green zone/sweet spot and your band is adjusted properly. If you get hungry in 1-3 hours, maybe you need a small fill.

And I agree with the others. 1-2 lbs is more than most people lose a week. Maybe you might want to lower your expectations? If you can lose 30-50 over the next year, that could be success and something to be proud of? It took more than a few years to pack on right?

After reading these responses I can only say congratulations on losing 50 lbs. I was and still am obsessed with weighing myself so I totally understand. Continued success. :)

I am a slow loser also but I don't consider it a failure. Although I am only down 47lbs since Feb 2013. I have gone down over 5 sizes. The tape measure is my friend not the scale. Everyone is different . I learned to stop comparing my stats with everyone else's on the board and just focus on me. Congrats on the 50lbs.

Slow progress is better than no progress. Congrats !! Your body will lose more when its ready too. Stress makes it harder to lose weight so quit stressing ! And throw away the scale ! Its doing NOTHING for you !