Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 weeks out, tired, grumpy, & I miss food

Ok, I do have to say I've lost a total of 55 lbs before & after surgery, and for that, I am very grateful. I've never really kvetched on here, but here I go, big time.

• I am pretty tired of waking up every day with a sour stomach.
  • Why do I feel exhausted 80% of the time? Where's all this "newfound energy" people talk about? When does that start?
  • I'm sick of burping all day long at work. It's gross.
  • Some days I feel like I'd rather not eat than have another yogurt, shake, or slice of deli turkey. I feel like I'm so sensitive to tastes right now, I can taste the chemicals and artificial sweeteners in everything.
  • AND SINCE WHEN DOES Water MAKE ME PUKE?? WTF IS THAT? ONLY IN THE MORNING?!? COME ON, BODY!!!
  • I found out I was taking the wrong kind of Calcium (carbonate as opposed to citrate). I dropped $38 on a new tub of Mint calcium citrate from Bariatric Advantage, they came last night, and they're absolutely disgusting. Completely unpalatable, kind of like chewing a piece of chalk. I made #FEYONCE try one, and he was seriously grossed out as well. Where is the tasty, chewy, calcium citrate? UGH!!
  • So many pills to juggle, AM, PM, and midday...I almost always end up missing one of my Actigall pills, so I'm worrying daily about gallstones.
  • The last few days, I have missed eating...like a "normal" person (relative). Like, being able to go to a restaurant. Or not having to have an in-depth conversation with my dining companion about what I can or can't have. Or like, having to remind my DH2B that I can't have salad right now. Lord knows he's trying, but I'm just tired. And yes, this is about more than just "actual hunger"...I miss being able to eat more than a few tablespoons at a time. It's not because I'm hungry...because I don't ever feel hungry. I miss that act of eating and the chemical reaction in my brain from eating the "bad" stuff (ie sugar, flour, fat, etc).
  • Moody....................

I chose to do this and I am not regretting it at all. I'm just feeling very frustrated this morning.

Chava, I am 3 weeks sleeve post op today, and I hear ya. For me I look at it like changing a lifetime of habit into a new process. You are not alone, and venting is a very healthy thing. Be well

I am so sorry, but your venting made me laugh..So many things that we all experienced and the buyers remorse shining through your complaints.

Hold on kid it is going to get better. I promise you. Life is going to start to hand you some pretty cool experiences called NSV. And then you will say I am so glad I did this.

Mean while it takes time to get used to all the changes and rules..of our new life style. But it will become very manageable for you as well as routine very soon.

Take the time to really enjoy exploring new foods that would be interesting to try. And then for sure you will have conversations about food.

The whole reason you had this surgery in the first place was because of your addiction to the chemical reaction in your brain and lack of self control while enjoying the chemical reaction in your brain. But if you learn to make good, nutritional choices and make them tasty. There will be lots to talk about and you will be helping your body as well.

I am never hungry either and have not been hungry all along...If i did not have Reactive Hypoglycemia I probably would not eat as often as I do and then I would be smaller then I am now......

Trust me girl it will all come together and you are going to be so proud of yourself!!!!!!! :)

At 6 weeks out you dont have to eat turkey or yogurt. Sounds like many of your issue are self owned. Try new things.

I didn't have the tired, grumpy, sour stomach phase. But I did, and still do, miss cooking and eating regular, full-size meals.

But, hang in there. It does get better, it really does. Especially when you start really looking good, noticeably thinner, sexier, etc. ( but still, I miss cooking those meals).

I will admit that my recent battle (since I entered Onederland) is stopping the "just a few potato chips" and some fruits that I allowed myself. Six weeks, and I've gained back 4 pounds and am fighting to go full-"protein" again. I made it to 191.2, but am back to 195. Dang.

Let's pray for each other!

Edited by Dr-Patient

I'm 8 months out, and I do remember feeling tired of everything at 6 weeks out. I didn't have some of the physical issues, but I was still on full liquids at that point and it felt like it would never end. Remember too that you are probably releasing hormones as you lose weight and an emotional roller coaster is par for the course.

I go out to eat regularly, and I eat regularly. Just a lot less than I used to. But the good part is that it does come back, somewhat. I do not feel like a freak at restaurants (I used to), I just get a to-go box. So much of what you are upset about is temporary. There's a light at the end of the tunnel!

Thank you chavabling. I'm only a week out so I have no right to be thinking the same thoughts but I do. Everyone's support is also helping me tonight stay focused. I really need to be reminded that the news normal will be great.

I second everything that everyone has said! I am 2 years out and at my goal (I have maintained for the last year) - food tastes normal again, my hair has grown back (actually it grew back ages ago) and I eat out all the time! I can manage entree (Australian size not American size which is much bigger!) and I can eat anything (and believe me, I do!).

Life is good so just give it time. It is such early days for you and it will change weekly, monthly and even yearly! All the best!

I'm only two weeks out and am feeling tired of the Protein Shakes, eggs and pureed food, so I'm glad to see that it is normal. I thought I was being a drama queen so soon after my surgery. The only thing that is keeping me from totally exploding is that I keep repeating to myself that I chose this and it will all be worth it in the end. I've been blessed to have come out of this better than I expected, but I am really not looking forward to another 6 months of including the Protein shakes to my daily meal plan.< /p>

@drsanchez31 Hi...I feel you! There are some really tough days, and then there are days where I just feel so happy and content with my decision. The good outweighs the bad, in 4-6 months, I hope we'll be looking back and smiling.

its amazing to read your rant. I feel like im reading my own brain. I dont know at all about the "it will get better" phase

it just seems like you dont see the light at the end of the tunnel. i dont either. i guess there is little you or I can do to change this. The part of our tummy that could handle the hearty good-to-cook meals no longer exists.

I dont have comforting or encouraging words as I myself have not experienced this.

i just say to myself every morning:"lets ride this day out" then one good day hopefully we'll both get the happiness we craved when deciding to get sleeved..

Happiness did not reside in my pre sleeve stomach. Heartache, self loathing and at times disdain at my inability to control my weight. My sleeve is simply a method to a healthier self, not happier. I am gaining movement, freedom, less pain, greater access to a better way of eating, and if that means that I can no longer stuff myself into self loathing so be it. Will I miss large hearty food excursions, to some degree yes, but it is the only way for me, and I am already feeling greater inner peace and less disdain for my uncontrolled eating.

It gets better. I promise! The early weeks with the strong restrictions on diet are toughest. Explore the supermarkets, find some new, healthy protien rich foods, some low carb healthy Snacks. Get out of the "I eat the same 5 foods in different sequences every day" pattern which, agreed, is depressing.

Go out to a restaurant if you want! In the beginning I would order a Soup. Once I was farther out, salads with fish or grilled chicken on top- I focus on the meat and some veggies. Order a turkey burger (or a real one, I do now and again!) and eat it w/o the bun. There are lot of options.

19 days post op.

shakes make me gag. Have tried sooo many brands....

Sick of being hungry & thinking about food

I just want to sleep & wake up in 3 months....

19 days post op.

shakes make me gag. Have tried sooo many brands....

Sick of being hungry & thinking about food

I just want to sleep & wake up in 3 months....

i don't know about your likes or dislikes but I was just recently introduced to Tofu Desserts from sunshine: 110 calories and 5 grams of Protein. I am holding a banana flavor one to read the label. Wish I had these when I was going through this stage!

Going to try banana tonight as my snack......Hope it tastes as good as the creme...never mind..As the other ones..lol