Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Okay...I'm not too sure about this journey that I've started. The logical side of my brain knows I need to lose at least 150 pounds and I've battled my weight all my life. I know that if I'm starving..it isn't going to happen. Add to that my battle with hypothyroidism and I want to be healthier.

I gave weight loss surgery serious consideration and researched doctors. A month ago I went to a seminar. They had us fill out information and the very next day the wonderful lady at the seminar calls to tell me that my insurance plan is one of the easiest to get approved with and would I ask my PCP for a letter supporting me. I did that and here I am two weeks later with an approval. Don't get me wrong..I know I should be very grateful but somehow I feel this is too fast. I felt confident until my first consult with the doctor today. You know the one where they tell you all the things that could go wrong. My husband was with me and he is beginning to think this approach may be too aggressive. At this point I feel like I am in a state of complete information overload, I have a surgery date scheduled for the 15th of July, and I'm having second thoughts. So if any of you could read some of the questions below and give me honest answers it would mean a lot.

1. Anyone out there with hypothyroidism? They are still trying to get mine under control with medication and I'm wondering if this will be more difficult to do after surgery?

2. I heard all about the diet today and all I could do was die. Yes I'm fat but believe it or not fruits, veggies and nuts are my favorite foods. The thought of having to center my eating around a piece of meat or fish with none of the above for a long time (my center recommends until you hit maintenance) is making me cringe. I'm not a big meat fan...but at the same time I don't want to end up malnourished...

3. Heartburn - does everyone have to take acid medication after surgery or only some people? I'm not overly fond of taking medications for anything and the thought of making a choice that would require medications is scary for me. I'm reading about people who are suffering from massive heartburn after surgery. I've only had heartburn when I was pregnant and I still have nightmares about it...

4. I am already battling anemia...will this surgery make that battle even harder?

5. Vitamins...the whole Vitamin taking sounds a little daunting. Does this get easier? Will I have to crush stuff up forever? I read some places where it says no..but then my doctor says he recommends it from here on out...

6. Recovery- how long did it take most of you? I'm a teacher...and that is 3 weeks before the kids hit the classroom again. Not being ready is not an option and the thought of managing all that at the beginning of the school year with the liquid diet and all is scary. Are there any teachers out there who have managed? Help!

I know if I go digging I could probably find some of these answers but like I said earlier...I'm completely on information overload right now and the more I read the worse it gets. So to hear first hand some answers would be great...

Thanks....

Hello Friend,

It seems to me like you aren't ready to have the procedure. I think you should wait until you're ready. You might want to cancel or postpone your surgery. You might also want to interview other Drs. if you don't feel comfortable asking him/her medical questions or think s/he is too aggressive. Many questions you asked are medical and should be addressed to a medical professional regarding thyroid, anemia, etc.

I'm a teacher too and will have 3 wks recovery before I have to return to the trenches. My surgery will be July 24th and I'm going for it. I'm sure I want it but am also really scared because I've never had surgery. My mom has had quite a few and shes still around to tell it. I'm ready for a change.

Trust your intuition & be true to yourself. The surgery is voluntary. You don't have to do it right now or ever. If your heart is telling you to wait, then wait.

Good luck to you.

I agree with Ima Fox hun. *hugs* You are going too fast. It seems almost as if you've been rail roaded into this. Stop. Breathe. Take a year to plan and think. You can always get this surgery next year.

A lot of places offer alternatives, such as a certain number of weeks on a liquid diet (Optifast or some such beverage), along with weekly meetings. Why not give that a spin first?

I live in Canada, and my procedure is paid for by the government. It means a looooong time of waiting for approval though, and that is sometimes a good thing. It means I have the necessary time to think and to be sure this is the option that I want to choose.

Just holler at everyone to put the brakes on, and give yourself some time.

I would agree that you are not ready for the surgery. Until you feel that you are saving your life with this surgery, you should not go forward with it.

As far as Vitamins you only have to crush them or take liquid vitamins until your able to swallow whole pills. There are so many benefits to having the surgery. At least your able to eat, some of us have to be on a liquid diet for 2 weeks before surgery. I know your on information over load but you have to do your research & weigh out the pros & cons. The surgery has great benefits for a healthy life long life. Many blessings to you on your decision.

Hi there,

I'm hypothyroid, but only 1 1/2 weeks out, so too early to see how that will go. But I'm not overly worried about it - I'll just monitor my levels and tweak as needed.

I agree with everyone else that it doesn't seem like a good idea for you to rush into this so quickly when you're still just starting to learn about what this will mean for you. I've thought about the sleeve since I first started having trouble with my band back in 2009, but I still needed about 6 months to prepare from the point that I was seriously ready to do it.

As far as recovery time goes, everyone is different, but most seem ready to go back to work in 2-3 weeks. I'm planning to go back on Monday, after 2 weeks, and I think it will be okay. I'll probably still be a little tired, but will try to make my first week a little easier than usual.

As far as Vitamins go, I'm taking chewable vitamins from Celebrate. It's really not a big deal. If you're taking Vitamins regularly, that should help you manage your anemia, but I'm not a doc and not sure about this one...

As far as heartburn, I think everyone is advised to take a PPI after surgery, but I think only 15-20% or so have serious heartburn issues and need to continue these meds longterm.

About the food you eat. I know there are some vegetarian sleevers, so I imagine you can create a diet plan that works for you, perhaps including more Protein shakes and such. The powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury unflavored Protein is easy to add to anything, like your morning coffee/tea, etc. Would be a good thing for you to discuss in more detail with a nutritionist.

Lastly - you and your husband should look at the health risk/benefit profile together. It IS a major surgery, and there are risks, but the risks of morbid obesity are greater. But if you feel you haven't given diet/exercise a good enough shot, that would be a good idea to do as a next step. Good luck in your process! It is a lot to take in.

I've been treated for hypothyroidism for 20 years now. Most of the time when I have a blood test done, they have to jockey around my dose a little. I don't think there's any kind of problem with hypothyroidism and surgery.

There are some other sources of Protein besides just meat but I think it would be difficult to do this diet as a vegetarian or someone who doesn't like meat.< /p>

I chose bypass because of my acid reflux which was pretty severe. My doctor explained that the lower part of the stomach is where most of the acid forms, so when you detach that from the digestive system and only have a tiny upper stomach, most reflux goes away. I'm 2-1/2 weeks out now and he didn't prescribe any antacids and I haven't had the slightest bit of reflux even when I lay down after eating (something I could NEVER do before).

I was told I would be on chewable, sublingual or liquid Vitamins for 6 weeks. I'm really sick of the chewables already because they taste nasty (IMHO). But, I can do it until I can get back to swallowing pills. I haven't heard of anyone having to stay on chewables or crush Vitamins for life.

I hope you can find the information you need to make you feel confident or you postpone the surgery until you feel ready.

Best wishes.

First, welcome to these message boards! You'll find a wealth of information here to support you through the process. And I too agree with previous posts that perhaps this is all too quick for you. Take your time with this decision. It's a major life change, and you need to commit 100%.

Having said that, I will answer your questions as honestly as I can. I am 4 months post op. I started at 366 (with an all-time high of 380). I'm 5'6" and 49 years old. My weight is now 290, and I'm in the middle of a stall. :)

1. Anyone out there with hypothyroidism? Yes I have hypothyroidism too. Pre-op I was close to maximum dosage, and at 3 months post op I had full blood work done and my numbers are normal, but still at the higher dosage of synthroid.

2. ...The thought of having to center my eating around a piece of meat or fish...is making me cringe.... I'm lucky where I like meat, so it isn't an issue for me. But this should be a concern for you, as Protein will be the staple of you diet. It doesn't have to be animal-based: greek yogurt, soy Protein (though with hypothyroid, you might check with your physician/nutritionist on that), and Protein shakes would work too. You could also consider pureed Soups, stews, and chili as well, once you are cleared for those items.

3. Heartburn - does everyone have to take acid medication after surgery or only some people? I never needed the heartburn medicine.

4. I am already battling anemia...will this surgery make that battle even harder?

I would imagine no here, but again, check with your physicians.

5. Vitamins...the whole Vitamin taking sounds a little daunting. Does this get easier?

I never had to crush up the Vitamins myself past the first week, and taking one a day is no big deal to me. If you are taking synthroid, just add it to your daily medications.

6. Recovery- how long did it take most of you? I was lucky. I had surgery on a Monday. The first few days at home were rough. But by Fri/Sat, I was feeling better, and I was back to work that Monday: one week post-op. I started boot camp for exercise the following Monday (with my surgeon's blessing, of course).

For me, this has been the best decision I have made (so far). I acknowledged right from the start that I needed to change some very fundamental things about myself in order for this to work, and I am working hard to build a strong foundation of support now, in the early stages, to help me through.

And while the sleeve is a tool that make some things easier, the process is, by no means, easy. So take your time. Breathe. Process. And when you're ready, you'll know. Either way.

Please be well, and keep us all posted!

Edited by DeniseNCC1701

Hi, I hear you, I too questioned whether this was too drastic. I also have hyopthyroidism and take pills every day. I also take Iron pills (common for a lot of women). I gain weight when I eat TOO MUCH food, not because of my thyroid. When I eat properly I can lose weight and maintain. My issue is with food, I love to eat. This is the one option for me that is a tool I will have for a lifetime. It will keep me in check.

Until you are ready for this life saving procedure and it is your last option. I would not do it.

You have to be fully committed to it and that means that you have to be prepared for anything that might possibly happen to you in regards to complications and limiting yourself with food and retraining your brain to learn how to deal with all of it...And especially your reasons for overeating and using food as your go to when you need comfort...

I am a girl who had a lot of complications with WLS. But I was also at a point where it was my only option....You need to step back and really take some time to figure it out, whether you are ready or not! :)

That's what I would do in your case!

Hello, I say go for it, this will help you become healthy and live a long life. It's is a blessing that you got a surgery date. Many people don't get that chance. You have to be committed and I believe that once you get this procedure done you will be committed and become healthy. Being healthy is better than being unhealthy. I was scared to but I'm going for it. I have to do a 3 to 6 month nutritionist visit and then I'll have my surgery. I am very scared but at the end I will become healthy, be there for my daughter and live a longer life. If you have questions you should ask your surgeon. If you make your decision please update us and let us know. God bless :)

1. Surgery will not help or hinder your hypothyroidism. You may be able to lower doses as you lose weight just because there is less of you for the drug to run through. I was diagnosed as a child and while it does make it harder to lose weight, it hasn't been too much of a problem so far. I lost 34 in2-1/2 months prior to the sleeve on a low carb, low calorie diet. I knew I could not follow that long term without the sleeve, knowing I was preparing for surgery really helped. I'm 3 months post op and have lost an additional 48 since the for a total of 82 lbs since January 1st.

2. I was never a meat fan. I'd rather have the potatoes, veggies, rolls, etc. I know I need the meat now so it hasn't been a problem. Your faves are veggies, fruits and nuts....on a normal diet fruits are high in sugar and nuts are high calorie and extremely high fat. With the sleeve I can enjoy a few bites of fruit or 1 oz. of nuts and be okay with it. I only eat them as Snacks as I need Protein at my meals to meet my needs.

3. I rarely had heartburn before the surgery but during my endoscopy the dr saw signs of reflux. I took omeprazole for one month after surgery, had reflux when I stopped taking it so was pit back on for 2 months. Just went off again so we'll see how it goes. My dr office said some only need it the first month as they heal, some need up to 6 months and a few need it for good.

4.im not anemic so I don't have much to say on this. I thought meat was good for people who were anemic so maybe adding that will help.

5. I started bariatric chewable Vitamins at 3 weeks post op. They're kind of gross but oh well. Recently switched to costco kid chewables. My dr. Orders labs at months so I guess we'll see and adjust then if needed.

6. My first 4 days were miserable and every day was better after that. Everyone's recovery is different and there's no way to predict how yours will go. I was back to mostly normal by 2 weeks though.

After over 10 years of WL seminars, tons of research, and our health declining terrible, I led my husband into the sleeve process, him looking like a deer in the headlights of pure terror at the final pre-op visit with the surgeon. I said, you are so scared. He agreed. The surgeon said he should be afraid, with all his co-morbidities. I said, but I am afraid he will die without the surgery and the surgeon acknowledged that. We were both sleeved 7 months ago, are down 60 and 90 lbs. Life is not perfect but we both agree we would do this again in a heartbeat. There was no feeling better without something drastic, and little did we know how "undrastic" having the sleeve would be. We never have felt sick, we never had pain, we hardly felt we had surgery, we were out of the house 2 days after surgery, we are off BP, Metformin, asthma and other meds now, and my husband's diabetes is under control for the first time in my 23 years with him. Don't think for a minute I was not afraid, I was scared to death my husband would not make it thru surgery, but more scared he would not live if he didn't. He is the happiest he has ever been right now, and he exudes the confidence of knowing he will never regain this weight. We pretty much eat what we want this day, we just have the tool that keeps us from starving and gorging. food is no longer the focus of living. Maybe you should give yourself an extra month or two, read and research some more. I wish you the very best.

I want to first say thank you to all of you for your kind words! I woke up this morning feeling much better about my decision. I had given this a lot of thought and read about it and deep down I knew what I wanted to do. I realize now that bringing my husband with me yesterday (we did the upper GI, pre-admission blood and EKG, and the pre-op conference with the doctor all in one day) might have been too much for him. He hates doctors offices anyway and I think that was exposure to too many things in one day. His being able to accompany me during everything was a little too much of an eye opener I think. The most he’s ever had done is blood drawn for a yearly physical and he’s not fond of that. He was nervous when he saw the amount of blood they drew and then I informed him it was the same amount they drew every two weeks during my pregnancy. He started apologizing that I had to go through that. He’s super healthy and I’m not. If I had sense I would have remembered how he handled the surgery form for my c-section. I just signed it…I knew it basically said other organs etc could be damaged and I could die..that’s what they all say…but the baby was in distress and at that point there was no choice. He caught the nurse leaving and asked to read it and almost freaked out over what it said. I think the same happened yesterday and his fear was contagious because I was nervous, hadn’t gotten a lot of sleep the night before and was tired. Add to that the fact that the centers preop included different information than what I’ve read in a lot of places regarding post-op diet and I was becoming confused. Today I emailed my doctor and asked lots of questions and he put my mind at ease. His after surgery diet is different (longer periods of liquids etc before pureed food….) but he said he preferred to be cautious since healing time varied so much in individuals. He said he preferred to give the body plenty of time to heal and reduce the chances of problems before introducing “real” food again in any form. I can respect that though I’m sure it’s not going to be fun in any sense. I talked with my husband today and distance has calmed him down. I reminded him that as of right now I have absolutely no illnesses associated with my weight and I want to do this before that happens. I want to be healthy for our son and for him. There are so many things in life I used to enjoy that I can’t do anymore and it’s depressing. I think if I don’t do this I’ll end up like my siblings who are already battling illnesses. So I just wanted to let all of you know that I’m going to go ahead…I’m sure I’ll be back with more questions but all of you are so supportive I’m sure you will make it much easier! Thank you!!!

About the post-surgery diet in the early days, it's not as hard as it sounds. I'm on week 3 pureed foods and I have to remind myself to eat because I really never feel hungry. I know other people don't experience that, but I just don't feel hungry. I did get sick of the Clear Liquids phase because all of those drinks just tasted nasty to me but once I started full liquids I felt a lot better. And on pureed, I'm able to puree chili and refried Beans and some other good tasting stuff with flavor, so it's all good.

I go on soft foods next week and I think that will be more of a challenge. On the liquids and pureed diets, you don't really have to think about what to eat (drink) because you have such limited choices. Next week opens up a whole new world of choices for me, so that will be tougher.

Just wanted to assure you that the early post-surgery diet is not as hard to stay on as it would be pre-surgery.