Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm considering having gastric sleeve surgery

Hello all, I'm just wondering if anyone has considered gastric bypass or a lap band instead of the gastric sleeve, and why did you choose the sleeve over the other two?

I was scared of the malabsorption with the gastric bypass, and I didn't want a foreign object in my body that could corrode my stomach like the band.

I think I would have definately lost more with the Gastric Bypass but over all I am very happy with my results. I am about 3 years out from VSG.

Edited by FishingNurse

I originally was going to get the band. But after I started doing my own research, I realized the sleeve was more for you. It's all preference

Been there, done that with the lapband. Had it for almost 3 1/2 yrs. Had a revision to sleeve cuz it herniated (after a yr with a small slip, I continued to almost daily vomiting even with an unfill - until it finally herniated and had to come out). Since I only had 35 lbs to lose (started at 174), I thought a RNY was a bit drastic. Even more drastic (at least to me) than having 85% of my stomach removed.

I knew that I needed a tool inside me to get to goal (not to mention not to regain what I had already lost), so I chose a sleeve revision. So happy I did. I've vomited 2x in the past almost 1 yr vs almost daily with the band. I can eat anything I want - just really small amounts of it. And being "full" isn't the same as with the band. It's a more natural feeling, not a pain-in-the-chest feeling.

Good luck with ur decision. I'm just so glad that in 2014, one has a choice in wls's (unlike 20 yrs ago, when ur only choice was either getting it or not)

I chose the sleeve because I did not want a port.

Too many complications with the lap band and I did not want the malabsorption issues with the by-pass. So, a sleeve it is!

Lapband - had a friend that had it about 3 years ago. It worked a first but he learned how to eat around it and gained all the weight back. Then he had some complications with the band rubbing and scarring his stomach, so they deflated it. Now he's having more problems with his stomach and they are looking at removing it.

Bypass - the whole cutting out part of my intestines creeped me out. :P But I know 3 ladies at work that are very happy with their bypass surgeries.

So that left me with the Sleeve. It seemed like the best of both worlds. It helped me control my hunger and I didn't have to lose part of my intestinal tract or worry about malnutrition or dumping.

Bypass is the most perform surgery out of the 3. It is also carries the most risk and side effects. The band is now falling out of favor with the sleeve gaining popularity. Do your research, talk with people that have had the different surgeries and decide which is best for you. I recommend attending a local support group that meets in your area. It was in this setting I found the most help. Bariatric Pal is OK, but nothing close to face to face communication. Plus the primary intent of BP is to market the web site not provide accurate information and support.

I had the lap band, and it was a complete failure. I experienced slippage, infection at the site of my port, and constant internal pain. It was awful for one full year until I had it removed. There is high risk of all of these complications with a band. Also, some negatives are it must be maintained, there is an foreign object inside you, and it causes scar tissue.

The RNY is more complicated. There are mal absorption issues and your stomach is essentially gone.

With the sleeve, both sphincters are in place, and you have natural absorption , everything is kept natural, just much smaller. Less complications.

I started out my journey planning to have the gastric bypass. About 4 months into my 6 month pre-op program I started having serious doubts. When I really thought about what was causing the doubts I realized it was the malabsorption part of if that scared me. So I decided to go with the surgery that would give me the same results without the malabsoption side effects or re-routing of the intestines. To me it just seemed less invasive. As for the lap band, it was never really an option I was interested in.

I didn't want the port and the lifelong maintenance of fills required with the band.

I didn't want the dietary and pharmaceutical limitations required with bypass.

Lynda

I am also considering the gastric sleeve. I go back and forth between "Yes! Let's do it" and "Hmmm...is this really the best avenue for me to take?" I don't have any co-morbidities other than being really overweight so the idea of doing something and making myself into a sickly skinny person dependent on medication or pain relievers for the rest of my life has me a bit afraid.

I didn't want the lap band because I didn't want something foreign in my body.

I didn't want gastric bypass because it is more involved than the sleeve. However, all but one person I know that has had weight loss surgery had the Roux-n-y. The main things these people have complained about is (1) the bad gas they can get eating certain foods (think sulfur and brimstone type gas - ha!) and (2) dumping (only in the very beginning until they discovered what they could and could not eat) and then one of them had stricture issues that were eventually resolved. Otherwise, each one of them (even the one with the strictures) has said the only regret was that they did not do it sooner.

The one person I know personally that had the gastric sleeve surgery did fine, no complications whatsoever and she is so happy with her new life (she looks so healthy). She lost all but 20 pounds of her pre-surgery weight. After losing 130 pounds, 20 seems a drop in the bucket to me.

My main concern now is the possibility of developing severe heartburn and/or GERD post surgery, which is a complication that they don't really talk about. I also have read the stories of those who developed strictures, abcesses, leaks and other serious complications scare me as well.

I shared these concerns with the staff in my doctor's office and so now he wants to see me so that we can talk about these things face-to-face. I am wondering if the technique used to create the pouch has anything to do with the onset of severe heartburn and GERD. What about the method to create the shape and size of the new pouch? Does that matter in preventing any complication? What about the pre-surgery weight and overall health of the patient? How does that affect recovery and healing and in what way? Do some conditions play more of a part than others? What about age of the patient? How big a part does compliance play? If someone messes up and has something one or two times during the first four weeks (like eating mushies when they are supposed to be drinking liquids only), does it severely impact them?

If any of you are interested, I'll be glad to report back what we talked about and what he said.

As an aside, thank you to those of you that have shared the good with the bad - us newbies really appreciate it. I'm a big fan of informed consent.

Haddocks Eyes.......when I went to the bariatric clinic for the first time, last August, I had a list of fourteen questions, just like the ones you have listed here. The staff was very patient to answer them all and put my mind at ease about weight loss surgery. You are right on about informed consent, and I am proud of you for speaking up. You are your own best advocate.

there is no pouch in VSG. a pouch is created out of the stretchy part of the top of the stomach in REY bypass. in VSG the stretchy fundus (top part) and side of the stomach is removed leaving you with the part of the stomach that is not stretchy. (about 80% of the stomach is removed) it results in a stomach roughly the size and shape of a hot dog. hence the name "sleeve." (cause i guess hot dog stomach wouldnt fly!)

my doctor discussed possible complications with me very throughly, including GERD. if you are going with the sleeve, choose a doctor that is very experienced in performing it. my doctor does 3-5 a week. some docs do way more bypass and not too many sleeves. better to pick someone who does a lot of them. this minimizes complications. (but certainly doesnt remove the risk)