Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can't drink protein shakes, afraid of hair loss

I have spent lots of $$ on various different Protein Shakes, all of which make me nauseous. I am sitting here feeling the after effects of one, broke out in the usual sweat feeling horrible. I was lectured by the nutrionist today that if I dont drink 3 Protein shakes per day, I will lose my muscle, become weak, and lose my hair. I am eating pureed chicken and other protein no problem. But she tells me my stomach cannot absorb the protein in food right now so protein shakes are my only alternative. She suggested mixing fruit, Peanut Butter into plain Protein Powder or trying Syntex nectar. I seriously don't want to spend more money, and now the thought and smell of the shakes make me want to gag. I was reading on here about rolling protein powder into peanut butter balls? I am desperate, not wanting to lose my hair. What about drinking egg whites? Has anyone tried it? Please, any suggestions on how to drink more protein.

I have spent lots of $$ on various different Protein shakes, all of which make me nauseous. I am sitting here feeling the after effects of one, broke out in the usual sweat feeling horrible. I was lectured by the nutrionist today that if I dont drink 3 Protein Shakes per day, I will lose my muscle, become weak, and lose my hair. I am eating pureed chicken and other Protein no problem. But she tells me my stomach cannot absorb the protein in food right now so protein shakes are my only alternative. She suggested mixing fruit, Peanut Butter into plain protein powder or trying Syntex nectar. I seriously don't want to spend more money, and now the thought and smell of the shakes make me want to gag. I was reading on here about rolling protein powder into Peanut Butter balls? I am desperate, not wanting to lose my hair. What about drinking egg whites? Has anyone tried it? Please, any suggestions on how to drink more protein.

I use two packets of carnation instant Breakfast sugar free with one glass of 2% milk. It's thick so it takes me well over an hour to drink but it tastes the best to me. 2 shakes a day yields close to 40 grams of protein. That should be a good start if you're eating chicken as well. Also try lentils Soup. Lentil Beans have high Fiber and high protein. There is also a fruit liquid called New whey it has 40 grams of protein per 3 ounce shot but I mix that whole shot with Water to make it taste better. They have watermelon and fruit punch and it's pretty good. Go down like Kool Aid.

First off the hair loss is an unfortunate part of WLS. Everyone has some Hair loss during the first year post surgery (usually between 4-8 months) IT DOES GROW BACK.

As for getting Protein in on a daily basis, yes, egg whites are the best Protein to take in when you cannot tolerate the shakes. If your cholesterol is up, skip the yolks (or at least every other egg you ingest since they are all fat and cholesterol).

I use the protein powder to make crepes and Cookies. The Cookies and cream powder works in place of flour for oatmeal cookies (adds lots of protein to each cookie and I don't need the vanilla for flavoring either) You can experiment with the powder to modify your favorite recipes so there is food you can tolerate.

If you are still early post op, take the powders and add less Water to make a pudding. You can also make up any shake and freeze it to make popsicles for a treat.

Are you sure you are not allergic to the source of the Protein you are using - like whey or whatever?

If you are not, I have found adding a bit of crystal light lemonade takes away that meh Protein powder taste. I despise that taste. For some reason the lemon brings out the fruit flavor and negates the protein flavor.

Also, you can apparently only absorb like 10 to 20 grams of protein at a sitting anyway so maybe cut your protein powder in half.

Here is what I use to make a shake:

- almond milk unsweetened

- strawberries (Note - some say for pre op liquid diet or right after post op not to use strawberries because of the seeds so try something else like some kind of flavoring or another fruit)

- protein powder (i have only tried cream or chocolate and both work)

- Splenda (optional)

- Hershey's sugar free Chocolate Syrup (optional) (I advise adding splenda if use this)

- a touch of crystal light lemonade powder

Blend well

----------

Also, I am kind of skeptical about the stomach not being able to absorb protein from food right now. Has anyone else heard that? Is that correct?

Edited by Travelmego

I was told this The nutritionist today. Thanks for the suggestions I will try the carnation its not too expensive. I never thought of allergies, I will also try a different type of Protein. Wow is this getting expensive!

I was having a hard time getting Protein in too. And bought the Syntrax Nectar sample pack. I have used about 6 so far and they all taste good. I use unsweet almond milk with them.

Honey, you can always just drink a glass of milk if you are desperate. Whatever you do, get in your Protein. hair will grow back. Getting muscle back is a whole other thing. You really don't want to lose muscles because of lack of Protein.< /p>

Where are you post surgery? How far out?

I bought and have used a liquid Protein. 1 ounce has 15 grams. Protein 100 by Genesis Today. I bought a 32 ounce bottle. It has an orange flavor. They suggest putting it in Water or juice. I mix it with Vitamin Water zero. I usually mix it with orange flavor. It works for me.

I haven't had surgery yet but my doctor advised me to try smoothies. I bought unflavored soy Protein. Then I dump berries, peaches, and apples into a blender. I also pour a few teaspoons of Fiber then I puree. I believe I get about 30 g of Protein each serving.

You can also add spinach, broccoli, and carrots, depending on your plan.

For one year, many years ago, I did this whole raw food cleansing diet. I mostly drank vegetable juice which I juiced myself. I remember consuming somewhere around 500 calories per day and virtually 0 Protein.

Not only did my hair NOT fall out, it was in the best condition of it's life! As were my skin, teeth, and nails.

It was the incredible amount of living nutrients in the fresh veggies that I was juicing.

My nut and I have discussed this and she is clearing me to raw vegetables (juiced only) and with Protein powder added much quicker than usual.

I like the New whey as well. i was advised to use two a day immediately post surgery by my nut.

i am still pre-op but go in 9 days, so i'm planning. i found them at Wal-Mart for under $3 each. each 'shot' contains 46 Protein (i think- it's in my fridge).

i got watermelon and acai flavored. i was told the fruit punch is good but can't find it.

i also have had issues finding a Protein that works. One final note- Muscle Milk is THE Protein shake that i really like. the small 100 calorie ones, mixed with some skim milk have 23 protein each (1 container + 1 cup milk). seriously tastes just like chocolate milk, no chalky flavor at all.

Gosh I wish my doctor let me eat berries! Hope to get the clearance at my 2week visit next week. This whole pureed thing is just not working. I made tacos last night and pureed the (very lean) ground beef for me. I still couldn't get it quite baby food consistency even with Water. But I chewed and chewed and got a little less than 1/4C in.

Are Protein Shakes and Protein Bars the same ?